WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 99 of 193 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 192 193
Scoutgal #290184 07/23/16 12:48 AM
old hand
old hand
Tim Kaine - it's official rolleyes

Hillary Clinton named Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia to be her running mate Friday, selecting a battleground state politician with working-class roots and a fluency in Spanish, traits that she believes can bolster her chances to defeat Donald J. Trump in November.

Mrs. Clinton’s choice, which she announced via text message to supporters, came after her advisers spent months poring over potential vice-presidential candidates who could lift the Democratic ticket in an unpredictable race against Mr. Trump.

NY Times

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #290185 07/23/16 01:00 AM
old hand
old hand
Here you go - Here's your Democratic Party!

New Leak: Top DNC Official Wanted to Use Bernie Sanders’s Religious Beliefs Against Him

AMONG THE NEARLY 20,000 internal emails from the Democratic National Committee, released Friday by Wikileaks and presumably provided by the hacker “Guccifer 2.0,” is a May 2016 message from DNC CFO Brad Marshall. In it, he suggested that the party should “get someone to ask” Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders about his religious beliefs.

To: MirandaL@dnc.org, PaustenbachM@dnc.org, DaceyA@dnc.org
Date: 2016-05-05 03:31
Subject: No s***
It might may no difference, but for KY and WVA can we get someone to ask his belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist. This could make several points difference with my peeps. My Southern Baptist peeps would draw a big difference between a Jew and an atheist.
The email was sent to DNC Communications Director Luis Miranda and Deputy Communications Director Mark Paustenbach. It’s unclear who the “someone” in this message could be — though a member of the press seems like a safe bet. A request for comment sent to Marshall was not immediately returned.

It is also unclear why the Democratic National Committee, which isn’t supposed to favor one Democratic candidate over another until they receive a nomination, would have attempted to subvert the Sanders campaign on the grounds that “he is an atheist.”

A reply to Marshall’s email from DNC CEO Amy Dacey read only “AMEN.”

Emphasis is mine.

The Intercept

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #290186 07/23/16 02:31 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Of course we never heard a peep about this from Hillary's campaign. I think somebody has to think up all the angles and then discard the bad ones.

Just like we have never heard Hillory refer to Trump as a child rapist.

Ezekiel #290189 07/23/16 06:37 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Tim Kaine - it's official rolleyes
The only positive I see is that Kaine speaks Spanish. Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Scoutgal #290190 07/23/16 07:42 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was always going to be Kaine, and it is a solid pick for a lot of very good reasons. Kaine has been a progressive for his entire career - from pursuing redline cases in lending to Mayor of Richmond to Governor to Senator. Yes, he supported TPP and yes he sought deregulation of local banks, but he has a 100% pro-choice record and an "F"from the NRA. He's been a minorities advocate his entire career.

Kaine contrasts well against Pence and will be billed as ready to take over as President. He is relatively young (58) and will not scare off middle-of-the-road voters. He is steady, thoughtful, personable and smart. Sanders and Warren are on board and the Convention will be a good one. Expect big roles for Booker, Warren, and Sanders to stir up the progressive wing of the party. Who would have been a better pick?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #290191 07/23/16 08:04 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Two other things Kaine provides: Virginia Democratic governor picks his replacement, meaning they'll be the incumbent for the next election and the Dems keep the sear in the Senate. Second, his ethics are above reproach, balancing out some of her trustworthiness issues. And, of course, he does speak Spanish fluently, a skill he learned as a missionary (religious voters...). And, finally, he makes Virginia evenl harder for Trump/Republicans.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Kaine has been a progressive for his entire career - from pursuing redline cases in lending to Mayor of Richmond to Governor to Senator.

Never was a progressive. Is not a progressive.
Please read my previous post.

Yes, he supported TPP and yes he sought deregulation of local banks,...
Wow - so progressive.

but he has a 100% pro-choice record

Seriously????

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Kaine, a Roman Catholic, is personally against abortion,but is "largely inclined to keep the law out of women's reproductive decisions."
Kaine supports some legal restrictions on abortion, such as requiring parental consent for minors (with a judicial bypass procedure) and banning late-term abortions in cases where the woman's life is not at risk.
Kaine previously criticized the Obama administration for "not providing a 'broad enough religious employer exemption'" in the contraceptive mandate of the Affordable Care Act, but praised a 2012 amendment to the regulations that allowed insurers to provide birth control to employees when an employer was an objecting religious organization.
In 2005, when running for governor, Kaine said he favored reducing abortions by: (1) "Enforcing the current Virginia restrictions on abortion and passing an enforceable ban on partial birth abortion that protects the life and health of the mother"; (2) "Fighting teen pregnancy through abstinence-focused education"; (3) "Ensuring women's access to health care (including legal contraception) and economic opportunity"; and (4) "Promoting adoption as an alternative for women facing unwanted pregnancies."
Kaine believes that both abstinence and contraceptives must be taught, and that education should be evidence-based.
Who would have been a better pick?
Sherrod Brown? Perez? Warren?

I fear that HRC shows her true colors once again.
I expected this type of thinking, i.e., that she can get moderate Republican votes with this pick.
I believe this is dangerous, can backfire and may make her chances a lot less likely than they would have been had she taken a more progressive position. But, the leopard never changes its spots.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #290193 07/23/16 11:12 AM
old hand
old hand
Meanwhile, in the merry old land of DNC:

DNC Staffers Mocked the Bernie Sanders Campaign, Leaked Emails Show

A NEW TROVE of internal Democratic National Committee emails, stretching back to April 2016, released by Wikileaks show that the organization’s senior staff chafed at Bernie Sanders’s continued presence in the presidential primary. Staffers were also irritated by criticism that they were biased towards Hillary Clinton.

The Intercept

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Second, his ethics are above reproach, balancing out some of her trustworthiness issues.

As a politician, Mr. Kaine has been scandal-free. But under Virginia’s liberal ethics laws at the time, he accepted more than $120,000 worth of gifts, including some from companies with business before the state, while he was lieutenant governor and governor.

NY Times

And of course, the Repubs will shout and rant and rave.
I'm waiting to see how the numbers react, but I have a bad feeling.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #290203 07/23/16 03:27 PM
old hand
old hand
Prescient, no?

Originally Posted by Bob Dylan
A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit
To satisfy, insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to

For them that must obey authority
That they do not respect in any degree
Who despise their jobs, their destinies
Speak jealously of them that are free
Cultivate their flowers to be
Nothing more than something they invest in

While some on principles baptized
To strict party platform ties
Social clubs in drag disguise
Outsiders they can freely criticize
Tell nothing except who to idolize
And then say God bless him

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society’s pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he’s in

But I mean no harm nor put fault
On anyone that lives in a vault
But it’s alright, Ma, if I can’t please him

It's Alright Ma - Bob Dylan

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 99 of 193 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard