WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 86 of 150 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 149 150
Ezekiel #290856 08/05/16 09:35 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The unbearable stench of Trump’s B.S.

A few days ago, I was asked on CNN to make sense of one more case in which Donald Trump had said something demonstrably false and then explained it away with a caustic tweet and an indignant interview. I replied that there was a pattern here and a term for a person who did this kind of thing: a “bullshit artist.” I got cheers and boos for the comment from partisans on both sides, but I was not using that label casually. Trump is many things, some of them dark and dangerous, but at his core, he is a B.S. artist.

Harry Frankfurt, an eminent moral philosopher and former professor at Princeton, wrote a brilliant essay in 1986 called “On Bullshit.” (Frankfurt himself wrote about Trump in this vein, as have Jeet Heer and Eldar Sarajlic.) In the essay, Frankfurt distinguishes crucially between lies and B.S.: “Telling a lie is an act with a sharp focus. It is designed to insert a particular falsehood at a specific point. In order to invent a lie at all, [the teller of a lie] must think he knows what is true.”

But someone engaging in B.S., Frankfurt says, “is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says.” Frankfurt writes that the B.S.-er’s “focus is panoramic rather than particular” and that he has “more spacious opportunities for improvisation, color, and imaginative play. This is less a matter of craft than of art. Hence the familiar notion of the ‘bullshit artist”.

This has been Trump’s mode all his life. He boasts — and boasts and boasts — about his business, his buildings, his books, his wives. Much of it is a concoction of hyperbole and falsehoods. And when he’s found out, he’s like that guy we have all met at a bar who makes wild claims but when confronted with the truth, quickly responds, “I knew that!”

WaPo

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/05/16 01:17 PM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #290908 08/06/16 02:37 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Speaking of BS and its relative stink...
Donald Trump has endorsed Ryan and McCain. Personally, I feel that if he had previously endorsed their opponents he should stick to his guns. His supporters don't much care for either of them.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #290910 08/06/16 08:27 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
Donald Trump has endorsed Ryan and McCain. Personally, I feel that if he had previously endorsed their opponents he should stick to his guns. His supporters don't much care for either of them.
That Trump guy has no integrity. Whatever will make him look good for the moment. rolleyes

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Ezekiel #290911 08/06/16 09:02 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Read the Harvard Republican Club's Letter Blasting Donald Trump

Dear Members and Alumni,
In every presidential election since 1888, the members and Executive Board of the Harvard Republican Club have gathered to discuss, debate, and eventually endorse the standard-bearer of our party. But for the first time in 128 years, we, the oldest College Republicans chapter in the nation, will not be endorsing the Republican nominee.
Perhaps most importantly, however, Donald Trump simply does not possess the temperament and character necessary to lead the United States through an increasingly perilous world. The last week should have made obvious to all what has been obvious to most for more than a year. In response to any slight –perceived or real– Donald Trump lashes out viciously and irresponsibly. In Trump’s eyes, disagreement with his actions or his policies warrants incessant name calling and derision: stupid, lying, fat, ugly, weak, failing, idiot –and that’s just his “fellow” Republicans.
He isn’t eschewing political correctness. He is eschewing basic human decency.

Fortune

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Greger #290912 08/06/16 09:41 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
Too little too late. devil

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #290925 08/06/16 05:22 PM
L
veteran
veteran
L

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Ezekiel #290949 08/07/16 06:30 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Read the Harvard Republican Club's Letter Blasting Donald Trump

Dear Members and Alumni,
In every presidential election since 1888, the members and Executive Board of the Harvard Republican Club have gathered to discuss, debate, and eventually endorse the standard-bearer of our party. But for the first time in 128 years, we, the oldest College Republicans chapter in the nation, will not be endorsing the Republican nominee.
Perhaps most importantly, however, Donald Trump simply does not possess the temperament and character necessary to lead the United States through an increasingly perilous world. The last week should have made obvious to all what has been obvious to most for more than a year. In response to any slight –perceived or real– Donald Trump lashes out viciously and irresponsibly. In Trump’s eyes, disagreement with his actions or his policies warrants incessant name calling and derision: stupid, lying, fat, ugly, weak, failing, idiot –and that’s just his “fellow” Republicans.
He isn’t eschewing political correctness. He is eschewing basic human decency.

Fortune

The Havard Republican Club represents all that is wrong with America: a group of snooty, elitist snobs who think that just because they've "studied" something, their considered opinion is worth more than a Real Man's gut feeling.

Every Real Man knows that a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote for the emasculation of each and every man in America. In the face of that threat, how could a man's man like Donald J. Trump be anything but a good choice for every Right Thinking American?

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
Irked #290952 08/07/16 10:31 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Irked
The Havard Republican Club represents all that is wrong with America: a group of snooty, elitist snobs who think that just because they've "studied" something, their considered opinion is worth more than a Real Man's gut feeling.

Every Real Man knows that a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote for the emasculation of each and every man in America. In the face of that threat, how could a man's man like Donald J. Trump be anything but a good choice for every Right Thinking American?

Truer words were never spoken smile

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #290959 08/07/16 05:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Most of Trump's following is made up of(uneducated) "real men" and their properly subservient wives. And, having studied nothing, they are in a unique position to understand that having no wisdom, understanding, or foresight, except that gleaned through a Fox News filter, sufficiently qualifies someone to Make America Great Again.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by logtroll

ROTFMOL
“The American people must accept that I am never, ever going to get better on my own, and realize that, if untreated, my condition will spiral even further out of control until I enter a persistent and almost certainly violent state of psychosis,” said Trump during what many pundits saw as the most devastating rhetorical blow landed during the debate. “Listen to me: I need to be institutionalized for the rest of my life and kept outside of normal human society. Please, stop cheering. I’m suffering.”

“For the love of God, I just want this to end,” he continued.

Trump reportedly concluded his remarks by making the evening’s most compelling argument for his case, saying it should be legal to detain Muslim U.S. citizens indefinitely without just cause.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 86 of 150 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 149 150

Link Copied to Clipboard