WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 123 of 193 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 192 193
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Tolerance is the definition of liberalism. Liberals are supposed to have open minds.

I am actually NOT generalizing at all, I am focusing on specific types, that is the opposite of generalization.

Your statement immediately before saying that this is not a generalization IS a generalization. When one ascribes a strict set of traits or values to a diverse group in which there is no way to assess how close in opinion every person in that group is to the other, one is generalizing.
Much like our RR group here: there are some things we might all agree on, but even our reasons for those items of agreement may be quite different.
Open mind to me may not be the same as open mind to you, etc. You get the picture.
In summary, attributing a set of beliefs or opinions or dogmas to any group constitutes a generalization. It assumes facts not in evidence, i.e., the actual reasons and details that underlie those beliefs.
Political parties should house diversity of opinion. There should be an open and frank discussion of ideas. That is not the case (for the most part).
Left of center is a fuzzy definition - by that I mean it is a range of values and not a crisp value.
Same goes for right of center.
But as anyone with our (yours and mine) experience knows: getting any group to agree on anything is always tricky. There will be lines in the sand that will divide any group, no matter how cohesive they may seem to be.
Labels divide.
Ideas (and more importantly, actions) are the currency by which we can make sound decisions. If a politician's actions move in a direction that I want to go, I will support her/him. Otherwise I will not. I don't need a label for that.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #290954 08/07/16 04:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Labels can be useful, and labels can be divisive, depending on how they are used.

For example, a census categorizes people according to, among other things, race, ethnicity, gender, age, income, working status. Polls do the same. In both cases they are categorized in order to achieve greater understanding. Political parties use their label to group thoughts or philosophical approaches together to distinguish themselves. People do too (e.g., "I'm a white, working-class, male"; or "I'm a person of color AND means".) "Black lives matter".

But, labels can also be used to divide, demean, and discriminate. "White's only"; "libtard"; and every kind of racial, national or ethnic slur.

Attitudinal labels "Liberal", "Conservative", "Progressive" can be used or misused the same way. If they are used to bring understanding, they are useful (in organizing thoughts, for example). If they are used pejoratively, they are not. My wife and I used to teasingly call each other "empty-headed liberal" and "dyed-in-the-wool conservative" because it was funny, since we agree on 95% of everything, but it pointed out the ridiculousness of trying to categorize our positions as black or white.

Let's keep our discussion on the philosophical and useful side, and not on the pejorative.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #290955 08/07/16 04:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
By the way, "horseshoe theory" is not horse shyte, but a well-established model for grouping and discussing political thought. When individuals or groups get extreme in support of their views, they become indistinguishable. A crowd killed by a bomb doesn't care if the bomb- wielder was a fascist or an anarchist, they're just as dead. There are authoritarians that call themselves communist and those that call themselves fascist. Their behavior is indistinguishable - who was worse, Stalin or Hitler?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
By the way, "horseshoe theory" is not horse shyte, but a well-established model for grouping and discussing political thought. When individuals or groups get extreme in support of their views, they become indistinguishable. A crowd killed by a bomb doesn't care if the bomb- wielder was a fascist or an anarchist, they're just as dead. There are authoritarians that call themselves communist and those that call themselves fascist. Their behavior is indistinguishable - who was worse, Stalin or Hitler?

Sounds likes horseshyte to me. Of course it matters, unless you don't mind if it happens again.
One needs to find the root cause of things and not the superficial labels attributed in order to facilitate the digestion as desired by those who distribute the news.
I've read about it. It is prime grade BS. It is based entirely on a coarse grained stratification. In statistics we call that nonsense.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/07/16 05:20 PM.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Labels can be useful, and labels can be divisive, depending on how they are used.

For example, a census categorizes people according to, among other things, race, ethnicity, gender, age, income, working status. Polls do the same. In both cases they are categorized in order to achieve greater understanding. Political parties use their label to group thoughts or philosophical approaches together to distinguish themselves. People do too (e.g., "I'm a white, working-class, male"; or "I'm a person of color AND means".) "Black lives matter".

But, labels can also be used to divide, demean, and discriminate. "White's only"; "libtard"; and every kind of racial, national or ethnic slur.

Attitudinal labels "Liberal", "Conservative", "Progressive" can be used or misused the same way. If they are used to bring understanding, they are useful (in organizing thoughts, for example). If they are used pejoratively, they are not. My wife and I used to teasingly call each other "empty-headed liberal" and "dyed-in-the-wool conservative" because it was funny, since we agree on 95% of everything, but it pointed out the ridiculousness of trying to categorize our positions as black or white.

Let's keep our discussion on the philosophical and useful side, and not on the pejorative.

Pejorative? ROTFMOL Truly...

BTW - I can't think of any instance where labels are inclusive. They are usually used to exclude some group from some other group. Can you?

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/07/16 05:27 PM.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #290970 08/08/16 03:12 AM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Tolerance is the definition of liberalism. Liberals are supposed to have open minds.

I am actually NOT generalizing at all, I am focusing on specific types, that is the opposite of generalization.

Your statement immediately before saying that this is not a generalization IS a generalization. When one ascribes a strict set of traits or values to a diverse group in which there is no way to assess how close in opinion every person in that group is to the other, one is generalizing.

The social justice warrior faction is NOT diverse at all, Zeke.
That's their problem. Diversity is NOT tolerated in the far out regressive left in any way whatsoever. Example after example abounds where one can observe all nails that stick up, getting pounded down or shouted out of the area in order to protect their "safe spaces".

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Scoutgal #290971 08/08/16 06:15 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

This is what that slimy bitchy queen Matt Drudge headlines at his site tonight:

[Linked Image from i1308.photobucket.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand

The social justice warrior faction is NOT diverse at all, Zeke.
That's their problem. Diversity is NOT tolerated in the far out regressive left in any way whatsoever. Example after example abounds where one can observe all nails that stick up, getting pounded down or shouted out of the area in order to protect their "safe spaces".
Extremes occur in almost any human grouping. Whenever they target the quashing of dissent they are wrong. My point is: they result from very different causes and the causes are important if one wishes to stop and correct them.
When one lumps all such extremes into the same bin, one runs the risk of creating yet another extreme which does nothing to help correct the original problem, it only exacerbates them making a solution that much more difficult.
The difference again, is in kind. Thus, the solutions will necessarily be different.
So don't read this as a justification of any extreme that aims to silence dissent. Read it as a clarification of how to deal with and understand and attempt to correct it.
Such is the world we live in and such are the people that inhabit it. Filled with nuance and not at all "black and white", as Trump would have it.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/08/16 12:25 PM.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #290973 08/08/16 01:12 PM
veteran
veteran
So, any validity to the Hillary heath claims?

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Ezekiel #290974 08/08/16 02:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
. I can't think of any instance where labels are inclusive. They are usually used to exclude some group from some other group. Can you?
I didn't say labels, of themselves, are inclusive, only that they can be useful - especially when seeking inclusion. Just to use an example from history... last week ... the Circuit Court struck down the voter ID laws in NC because they were drafted with discriminatory intent. How would we know that unless the voters has not been categorized or labeled. In this case the labels were used to ensure inclusion.

Page 123 of 193 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard