WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 105 of 150 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 149 150
Ezekiel #292015 09/04/16 06:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I get depressed when I think about the number of people who are willing to support Trump. I feel like I must be missing something.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel #292018 09/04/16 11:43 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I think this is weighing down the campaign:

[Linked Image from s6.postimg.org]

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
... I feel like I must be missing something.

Not everyone is highly vulnerable to the 'charisma' effect, though many are.

Bizarre as it may seem, Trump has some, Clinton doesn't.

One of the first thoughts I had about Trump, when he stepped into the race, was, "Would you but a used car from this man?", which I tried out on a Rightie blog. To my dismay, the response was a puzzled, "Sure, why not?"

Long ago I studied a psycho-philosophical school of thought that presumed humans generally live in a state of 'waking sleep', a condition of being able to walk around and do seemingly normal things, but all the while mentally in mostly a dream state.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
veteran
veteran
I warned early.

Just listened to Pres Obama, and he feels good about the future despite the rhetoric coming from Mr Trump.

I think either Pres Obama is missing something or he was being overly gracious.

In my community, make no mistake. The support is real and based on multi-faceted reasons or feelings. They hate Muslims .... they hate Mexicans .... beside hating the blacks .... if Mr Trump included one more item to cure his dystopian landscape i.e. deport all people on welfare/unemployed/etc to anywhere, he would have rock solid support .... of course none of this is racist or bigoted or xenophobic .... tough love for America

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Ezekiel #292045 09/04/16 03:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is amazing to watch a Trump supporter's intellectual contortions trying to explain their support. He "tells it like it is" unless "he doesn't really mean it." He's "trustworthy," even though everything he spouts is demonstrably false, and has a very lengthy record of deception and fraud. It's the media's fault for bringing in "facts." The US has 30% of Bizarro World's denizens, and they're ALL voting for Trump.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
It is amazing to watch a Trump supporter's intellectual contortions trying to explain their support. He "tells it like it is" unless "he doesn't really mean it." He's "trustworthy," even though everything he spouts is demonstrably false, and has a very lengthy record of deception and fraud. It's the media's fault for bringing in "facts." The US has 30% of Bizarro World's denizens, and they're ALL voting for Trump.
You might find this article interesting, NW_P. I found it last night.

Why Elites Lose at Trump’s Language Game

...More measured linguistic analysis reveals that Trump supporters often explicitly reject the literal meanings of his speech, attending instead to what he indexes or connotes. Trump uses hyperbole, humor, hedging, and repair to take stands — both for or against certain general political programs (immigration, trade deals), but more importantly against certain kinds of scornful elite discourse that belittle those supporters. Understanding that complex conversation, rather than dismissing it out of hand, can help us not only better comprehend the Trump phenomenon but also see why the rest of the world is so flummoxed by his verbiage...

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Ezekiel #292051 09/04/16 04:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I personally think that Trump's strategy of trying to have it both ways: running to Mexico to play at being "Presidential" then giving an anti-immigration speech the same day; going to a black church to appear "humble" and insulting the African American polity constantly, etc., is deliberate. And it seems to be working. Here's why I think it does: Those that want to see something good in his approach can find examples (e.g. "softening"), even if he is inconsistent, to support their view of who he is. Those, like Clinton, who think he's an absolute (fill in the blank) are baffled, because they don't know "which Trump" will appear.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's a good article, Rick. It's a realization I come to slowly because I believe that language matters. Trump either clearly doesn't mean what he says, or he is delusional. His followers clearly don't care what he says, which is what I find so baffling, they just care about what he "represents" - which is someone who is against the status quo. They don't care that he is completely unqualified for office, they like that his existence "sticks it to the man." They don't grasp that "they are the man" he'd stick it to.

I still believe the majority of Americans will reject him, but I am still depressed that there are so many that care so little about it. That's my problem, I care, and I think that a difference CAN be made.

Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by pdx rick
You might find this article interesting, NW_P. I found it last night.

Why Elites Lose at Trump’s Language Game

...More measured linguistic analysis reveals that Trump supporters often explicitly reject the literal meanings of his speech, attending instead to what he indexes or connotes. Trump uses hyperbole, humor, hedging, and repair to take stands — both for or against certain general political programs (immigration, trade deals), but more importantly against certain kinds of scornful elite discourse that belittle those supporters. Understanding that complex conversation, rather than dismissing it out of hand, can help us not only better comprehend the Trump phenomenon but also see why the rest of the world is so flummoxed by his verbiage...

Indeed, it is the use of language favored by con men. You have to make your "mark" feel that he/she is important.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #292077 09/04/16 09:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Kellyanne "Con"way gets Donald Trump because they speak the same language. What is important is understanding that, and being able to respond to it. I think Clinton's ads do that, as they paint a "visceral" picture, but could backfire, since it reinforces the low bar that Trump has to clear. If he doesn't wet his pants at the first debate, he seems "Presidential" - just like standing at a podium lying about what the President of Mexico just said. It's the picture, not the content, that counts. Same with the Detroit church - it doesn't matter if it is empty, he's in a black church.

Page 105 of 150 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 149 150

Link Copied to Clipboard