WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 137 of 150 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 149 150
L
veteran
veteran
L
It would be disquieting to realize your views are most aligned with an idiot's!

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Evan McMullin is on 11 state ballots. He seems like a more reasonable choice. His experience in the CIA and his time as the chief policy director for the House Republican Conference means he probably has a pretty good grasp of where Aleppo is.

It would probably not be the end of the world if he was President. And 538 gives him about a 2% chance by a whole sequence of unlikely events.

Ezekiel #294173 10/15/16 03:40 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Trump says the election is rigged — and his supporters are furious

Matt Viser and Tracy Jan
The Boston Globe
October 15, 2016

... At a time when trust in government is at a low point, Trump is actively stoking fears that a core tenet of American democracy is also in peril: that you can trust what happens at the ballot box.

His supporters here said they plan to go to their local precincts to look for illegal immigrants who may attempt to vote. They are worried that Democrats will load up buses of minorities and take them to vote several times in different areas of the city. They’ve heard rumors that boxes of Clinton votes are already waiting somewhere.

And if Trump doesn’t win, some are even openly talking about violent rebellion and assassination, as fantastical and unhinged as that may seem.

“If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.” ...
Full article

These people represent only a small fraction of the Trump supporters. The vast majority of Trump supporters I am familiar with are decent people and would strongly condemn such behavior.

Golem #294175 10/15/16 05:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All candidates have their share of extremist supporters, and that includes Hillary.

“If she’s in office, I hope we can start a coup. She should be in prison or shot. That’s how I feel about it,” Dan Bowman, a 50-year-old contractor, said of Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee. “We’re going to have a revolution and take them out of office if that’s what it takes. There’s going to be a lot of bloodshed. But that’s what it’s going to take. . . . I would do whatever I can for my country.” ...

Perhaps you could show us some of Hillary's "extremist supporters" who are suggesting that "a lot of bloodshed" is the answer to a Trump victory? There is a lot to suggest that Donald Trump might be guilty of jailable offenses, yet there is no one shouting "Lock him up" and certainly none saying he should be shot. It seems to me that even the most extreme lefties, who are certainly not supporters of Madame Clinton, wish only for political solutions to political problems.
Perhaps these violent Trump supporters are in the minority, but it doesn't take a lot of terrorists to cause untold death and misery among innocents caught up in their wrath.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Ezekiel #294178 10/15/16 06:39 PM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
To the G-man's point:
All this talk of how Trump supporters are nice neighborly folk is just plain BS. ANYONE who could support a morally bankrupt bigot, pathological liar, con man, homophobic misogynist, nincompoop (and any other pejorative one might care to consider) like Trump is either the same as he is, or else, so damned stupid that their competency to navigate civil society should be questioned. I am probably one of the most critical voices of Clinton on this forum. But I refuse to accept that anyone who thinks Trump is even on the same planet as she is can be considered a decent human being.
I have been and will continue criticizing her politics, especially with regard to the economy, but there are boundaries that, once crossed, can only be undone with bloody war. One of those boundaries is fascism. I do not want to have to fight a war in my own country. I do not want that for my kids, my loved ones, or for any decent human being. As such, I am uncompromising when it comes to supporting Trump: THERE IS NO, NONE, NINGUNA, NENHUMA excuse for it.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Golem #294179 10/15/16 08:11 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Golem
Trump says the election is rigged — and his supporters are furious
Welp, PBS had this to say about Trump supporters:

Trump overwhelmingly leads rivals in support from less educated Americans*
PBS

No wonder defunding PBS is on Trump's ax list. coffee

*can't say that EVERY Trump supporter is less-educated, some are simply supporting Trump because of his proposed immigration policy mostly.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Kind of an interesting view. You decide how accurate.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Link

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting article. I can understand why they are angry, but Trump is not the answer. He's not going to do anything to help them. Really zero. He IS one of the rich city types and not only is not interested in struggling country folk, he also doesn't give a f*ck about other city people either!

Not to mention the very huge mismatch between their predominately Christian values and Trump's. (How many of them think it's great to grab a married woman by the genitals in the first 3 minutes of meeting them?)

Clinton is actually much more likely to do something for them, if they would bother to read her website. A vote for Trump is really a vote for anarchy: You have to be so fed up you want to crash the system.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You have to be so fed up you want to crash the system.
And there you have it PIA. Their elected officials have been telling them for years that government IS the problem. That belief has become so pervasive that now they have aligned against even their own party in their desire to bring government down.
Needless to say, none of them have actually considered the implications should they achieve that goal.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #294219 10/16/16 06:35 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
You have to be so fed up you want to crash the system.
And there you have it PIA. Their elected officials have been telling them for years that government IS the problem. That belief has become so pervasive that now they have aligned against even their own party in their desire to bring government down.
Needless to say, none of them have actually considered the implications should they achieve that goal.
...from the 'scortched earth' thread:

Originally Posted by pdx rick
Interesting comment to this article on the LA Times site:

It's important for us to still have right-wingers and conservative Republicans for a while so we can keep our museums going and show our grandchildren what they were like. Republicans are purposely sabotaging our government: Just think about this for a moment. Republican politicians run on the premise that “government is bad.” So, why would they ever try to help make government more efficient and effective? They wouldn’t. In fact, they go out of their way to ensure that the government operates as poorly as possible so they can campaign on the notion that government is bad – so that they’ll get elected to that very same government. They’re literally causing the very problems in our government that they use to stir up anti-government sentiment among conservatives to get elected. Sadly, most conservatives fail to see this.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 137 of 150 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 149 150

Link Copied to Clipboard