WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 67 of 212 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 211 212
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by chunkstyle
Anyone but Trump. Sure.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be a winning play.

Not if everyone is "Vote blue as long as it's my personal favorite", no.

But I can only cast my own vote, and deal with my own conscience.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Anyone but Trump. Sure.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be a winning play.

It wasn’t in 2016 when Democrats wanted him as an opponent in the general.
It’s obvious who would beat him now.

Yet here we are, with the party in full freak out mode to stop the guy.

The DNC helped bring you Trump. The DNC is working to keep Trump.
I don't know who would be the best candidate to beat Trump. All of them are in the negative when it comes for favorable/unfavorable ratings as is Trump.

Perhaps the question is, what are the voters looking for? Independents especially as it was Independents that gave Trump the White House. The general election certainly is a lot different than the primaries. Perhaps, like in 2016, most voters aren't happy with the choices being provided. We know for certain the majority aren't happy with Trump. But will they be happy or at least look at Trump being a bit worst than the Democrat, whoever that is?

Answers that can't be had until the Democrats choose a candidate. Then the numbers will tell the story. Was their choice right or wrong?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perhaps the question is, what are the voters looking for?

What were they looking for in 2016?

Change.

What are they looking for now?

Change.

What won Obama the election in 2008?

Change.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Zackly.

It’s the Dem parties job to tell the voters why they can’t have reasonable public goods and services but can have drone strikes and tax cuts for the aristocrats.

Good work if you can get it. Pays well for doing nothing for people and demobilizing voters.

journeyman
journeyman
Zackly.

It’s the Dem parties job to tell the voters why they can’t have reasonable public goods and services but can have drone strikes and tax cuts for the aristocrats.

Good work if you can get it. Pays well for doing nothing for people and demobilizing voters.

What's awesome about this entire thing is that I honestly believe you'll be bitterly disappointed if Sanders wins the nomination.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think Sanders WILL win the nomination. Then the big challenge will be to convince the Independents that "change" means deserting Trump. And also that President Bernie will not be able to wreck the economy because a Democratic congress won't ever let that happen.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Greger
Perhaps the question is, what are the voters looking for?

What were they looking for in 2016?

Change.

What are they looking for now?

Change.

What won Obama the election in 2008?

Change.

I would add anger or disappointment if that works. The recession, continuous wars. Yes, voters were ready for a change, also angry at the Republicans which was first seen in 2006 when the Democrats took back the House and senate.

2016, the voters did change who controlled the house and senate already. I would say 2010 was an anger year for Obama and company not listening to the voters. 2014, so many close elections in which the GOP won 5 of 7. Also the Democrats were defending 21 senators to 15 for the GOP. Also traditional Republican states who had elected Democrats six years earlier went back to their traditional roots, Arkansas, Alaska, Louisiana, Montana, North Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia.

2020, change maybe. But is it change for change sake or are the voters mad at something, someone? I don't think the voters were mad at Obama or even the Democrats in 2016. Just utterly disappointed in their choices. Two candidate most didn't want.

Are the voters mad at Trump? The Democrats sure are, but what about independents? The ones who gave Trump the white house to begin with? As of today 38% of independents view Trump favorably, 52% unfavorably. When Trump won the independent vote in 2016, independents viewed him 40% favorably, 57% unfavorably. Really no change there. So perhaps it's all about how independents view who the Democrats nominate as to how they will vote. In 2016 Hillary was viewed 27% favorably, 70% unfavorably by independents.

Whoever is the Democratic nominee, I sure think would have better numbers than Hillary. But I've been wrong before.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would add anger or disappointment if that works.
Anger and disappointment are certainly things that would make you want to vote for change. Fear is another.

A lot of people are angry, disappointed, and afraid of Trump winning a second term. Some of them are Republicans. Bernie's early lead says there's excitement on the left...excitement...another reason to vote for change.

I just heard that Biden is currently up by 18 points in South Carolina. Apparently the debate broke his way and spooked off some of Bernie's support.

Let's see if Bernie outperforms the polls. I'm betting he will.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I honestly believe you'll be bitterly disappointed if Sanders wins the nomination.

Is that because you think Trump will handily thump Sanders in the general election? Or because Sanders will win but find no success for his agenda?

I dunno about Chunks but I'm perfectly okay with either of these outcomes.
Just getting a progressive candidate nominated would be a BFD.

Getting one into the White House even bigger.

Expecting actual change might be asking more than the fates are willing to offer. A few small changes would be nice but not completely necessary. Electing Bernie would be a bit like re-arranging the stage before the next act. It's not really about Bernie you know. It's about the rest of us.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Greger
I honestly believe you'll be bitterly disappointed if Sanders wins the nomination.

Is that because you think Trump will handily thump Sanders in the general election? Or because Sanders will win but find no success for his agenda?

Neither. I think it's because he's happier explaining why the dems are all assholes than he would be if he got what he wanted.

Page 67 of 212 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard