WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Jeffery J. Haas - 05/20/24 02:30 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,060 my own book page
5,017,077 We shall overcome
4,196,069 Campaign 2016
3,794,715 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,747 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,789
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 104 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 103 104
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by logtroll
Here's the plan - Mike Pence is in charge...

"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," Trump said at the White House Thursday as the virus marched across Asia and Europe after US officials said the US should brace for severe disruption to everyday life.

The President also warned that things could "get worse before it gets better," but he added it could "maybe go away. We'll see what happens. Nobody really knows."
I'm imagining Trump in 1345... which is where, I think, his head is at. "It's all a Chinese hoax. There's no risk with this 'bubo-plague' thing. God will provide." Meanwhile Pence will be conducting "pray the disease away" days with his fellow flagellants.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I'm imagining Trump in 1345... which is where, I think, his head is at. "It's all a Chinese hoax. There's no risk with this 'bubo-plague' thing. God will provide." Meanwhile Pence will be conducting "pray the disease away" days with his fellow flagellants.

I am praying for novel ways to increase the severity of said flagellation. This is a job for the producers of Fear Factor and Mythbusters. They need to get together to invent a method of flagellation that is capable of concentrating the collective pain of the proles onto the backs of the flagellants the way a thermal solar focusing mirror array concentrates sunlight.

Oh wait, maybe we could just construct a "Holy Tower" that they climb while steeped in prayer, then when they are all huddled and on their knees, we just open the barn doors and "Let God's pure and holy sunligtht in"..."to cleanse them", of course.

Then we can pay people to sweep up the ashes and use them to make construction materials for homeless shelters.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
My wife went out and bought a pile of face masks yesterday. She likes to be ready.

The simple facts have not changed. The United States, working under jackass Trump, is so far behind the curve its a wonder to behold. We have actually tested, maybe, two hundred people. South Korea is testing 5000 a day! I also read that they have offered to send us 10,000 test kits but we have chosen to do that on our own. The guy in charge figures they can roll out tests in, maybe, two months. It will be interesting. By that time I suspect they will find people in trouble all over the place! The important thing about that is that our genius idiot president Trump has already set it all up so that we will never know.

Its really amazing, our dear leader thinks he can make sure that we will never learn the facts by putting the anti-science guy vice president Mike Pense in charge to make sure of that. I also find it interesting that the Democrats, in their infinite wisdom, have apparently decided to never mention Trump's clever hand in this mess. They hold firm to the Hillary plan (she has been raked over with lies and innuendos for over 30 years and never fought back even once - the woman is a modern saint!) of never rocking the boat and say a mean thing about the opposition. I think the only one to say anything is Bloomberg the hated billionaire who is trying to buy the presidency (basically doing exactly what all the other candidates are doing but is paying for it all himself thereby making sure he will not be beholden to anybody).

It will be very interesting when all of this is over. The market is tanking bigtime, we are being threatened with a world wide epidemic, the Democratic elections for this week and next are, arguably the most important for the Democrats, and a bunch of Shrinks have released a book explaining that Trump is going publicly insane. I think this may qualify as being, perhaps, one of the more entertaining and interesting periods?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40698138-the-dangerous-case-of-donald-trump

One can only guess the what the variety of outcomes will result in all of this. It will, however, be a miracle if something just doesn't melt down. As usual, and in the fullness of time .....

Last edited by jgw; 02/28/20 10:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
Did anyone get the feeling Mr Trump's response is similar to Pres Bush's response in Iraq when Senor dissolved the Iraqi army which precipitated the militia wars?

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The World Health Organization (WHO) has shipped testing kits to 57 countries. China had five commercial tests on the market 1 month ago and can now do up to 1.6 million tests a week; South Korea has tested 65,000 people so far. The U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in contrast, has done only 459 tests since the epidemic began. The rollout of a CDC-designed test kit to state and local labs has become a fiasco because it contained a faulty reagent. Labs around the country eager to test more suspected cases—and test them faster—have been unable to do so. No commercial or state labs have the approval to use their own tests.
The United States badly bungled coronavirus testing—but things may soon improve (Science).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A blurb just passed through my newsfeed about the cost of being tested for Coronavirus. $3370 for an uninsured patient.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
A blurb just passed through my newsfeed about the cost of being tested for Coronavirus. $3370 for an uninsured patient.

$3918 if you're one Frank Wucinski of Pennsylvania...

Kept at the Hospital on Coronavirus Fears, Now Facing Large Medical Bills

Frank Wucinski and his 3-year-old daughter, Annabel, are among the dozens of Americans the government has flown back to the country from Wuhan, China, and put under quarantine to check for signs of coronavirus.

Now they are among what could become a growing number of families hit with surprise medical bills related to government-mandated actions.

The government demanded that he submit to quarantine.
Now his source of funding to pay for it might well be...GoFundMe?

Yeah, we're soooooo ready to deal with this crisis, said NO ONE EVER.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I posted this elsewhere, but a) the tests should be free (public health, b) quarantine should result in an immediate payment of unemployment insurance to compensate for lost pay, and c) guaranteed reemployment protection to prevent employers from discriminating against "sick" employees. The employment issue may prove a serious financial crisis.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I posted this elsewhere, but a) the tests should be free (public health, b) quarantine should result in an immediate payment of unemployment insurance to compensate for lost pay, and c) guaranteed reemployment protection to prevent employers from discriminating against "sick" employees. The employment issue may prove a serious financial crisis.
Sounds like Soshulizm!! Only poosies need safety nets - this Amerka, gol-durn it!

Other than that, those sound like good and considerate ideas...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
the feds have now allowed private labs to start producing test kits. Pretty soon, after they really figure out how to make them, the big drug folks will descend to produce them. It will probably cost them about 3 bucks to do that so the price, to the american consumer won't be much more than 50/60.00 each.

I am not sure where the FDA figures in all of this. Last I heard they figured they could certify a test kit in about 2 months. Well, I think that was before the CDC screwed up their test kits so they didn't work.

As you say, China, and South Korea can produce these kits and are shipping world wide, except for the united states. I wonder what they are getting for them.

Here is a link, from the NY Times, that explains the incredibly screwed up response of the United States government.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/fda-coronavirus-testing.html

This is recent which means that we still don't really have test kits that work and our gov is insisting we work it out instead of using the standards of the World health organization. Kinda odd I think?

Just saying............

Last edited by jgw; 03/01/20 08:13 PM.
Page 6 of 104 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard