WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 79 of 212 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 211 212
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
One potential candidate has run up the flagpole the idea of a Republican running mate.

Mitt Romney has been floated.
John Kasich
Any never Trump Republican that is open to the possibilities of cutting S.S. And could be instrumental in getting that done.

On the other end I think you can’t ignore the Stacy Abrams rumors.

Sanders has me stumped for a V. P. pick

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by logtroll
It's a good thing the stock market had gotten so high, so there's room to fall a long ways before hitting bottom. Who knew that Trump's economy was so fragile? Not even Big Government bandaids like tax cuts or practically zero interest rates seem to have much effect. I guess he's toast for a second term, even a moldy ham sandwich could beat him in November.
The are many commonalities with 1929 (I highlighted them - some have different causes, such as trade tariffs). And in addition to consumer debt being high, the national debt is also out of control. The national debt:GDP ratio was 16% in 1929. The Federal Reserve helped to create an unsustainable boom in the 1920s by lowering interest rates.

The Great Depression

Throughout the 1920s, the U.S. economy expanded rapidly, and the nation’s total wealth more than doubled between 1920 and 1929, a period dubbed “the Roaring Twenties.”

The stock market, centered at the New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street in New York City, was the scene of reckless speculation, where everyone from millionaire tycoons to cooks and janitors poured their savings into stocks. As a result, the stock market underwent rapid expansion, reaching its peak in August 1929.

By then, production had already declined and unemployment had risen, leaving stock prices much higher than their actual value. Additionally, wages at that time were low, consumer debt was proliferating, the agricultural sector of the economy was struggling due to drought and falling food prices and banks had an excess of large loans that could not be liquidated.

The American economy entered a mild recession during the summer of 1929, as consumer spending slowed and unsold goods began to pile up, which in turn slowed factory production. Nonetheless, stock prices continued to rise, and by the fall of that year had reached stratospheric levels that could not be justified by expected future earnings.

What do you think Trump's economy will look like come November?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Corporate debt is at an all time high to as I recall. Lots of stock buy back with low interest money has been a real tail wind for some time for the market. A nice way to funnel money to shareholders and boards.

Others borrowed for plant expansions, acquisitions, etc..

That debt has to be serviced making the market much more fragile to downturns.

C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Gary from VEEP gets my vote for the 'Bernie Bro' narrative

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Sad that Warren had to fold. She was probably the most qualified candidate, but after 2016 I'm convinced that women are a female candidate's worst enemy. If women really wanted a female President they could have voted for Clinton, but they didn't. Most White women actually preferred a rapist over a woman. Sad.
PIA, NO. They did not prefer a rapist over a woman. They did however vote to preserve the lifestyle that they have thanks to their men. I have two sister in laws who live lavishly. One went to work on her own once and my brother had a fit. I grew up in a very very patriarchal household. My father grew up in a Mennonite farming family in Kansas. Though he left the church (got kicked out) he retained his built in sexist ways. Men are the bread winners, women are their support system.
Once the boomers are gone (of which I am a member so watch yourself!)maybe all that will get better. I know that my daughter's Atlanta suburban neighborhood is waking up from their republican stupor. They are younger. They are educated. They are well off. They are horrified....after the fact.

It took me a while to get over/accept why 53% of white women voted for a monster. I've still got some anger and disappointment but I had to remind myself (stupidly)that women live in a man's world still and sometimes choose to take what they can get however they get it.
And that's why I'm conflicted about all this talk about her "supporting" one candidate over the other. Maybe one of them will throw her a bone and pick her as vice president! ThumbsUp

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Maybe one of them will throw her a bone and pick her as vice president!

Something like that would be the only way I'd vote for Biden. But Biden isn't really known for throwing bones to progressives. He may choose a person of color, he may choose a woman. Staci Abrams wouldn't be enough to sway me, neither would Kamala Harris. Those are a couple of the obvious answers Joe's team is pondering right now. Warren isn't on the short list, or even the long list.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
even a moldy ham sandwich could beat him in November.

And seeing this to be the truth Democrats appear poised to nominate a moldy ham sandwich.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
RCP's update on the California delegate count, Sanders 179, Biden 127, Bloomberg 15, Warren 5. 89 more to be awarded. Along with the over all delegate count.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/democratic_delegate_count.html

Update on the polls for 10 Mar. No info on Idaho, North Dakota or Mississippi. Changes in the poll numbers from 4 Mar to 6 Mar. Michigan, from Sanders by 11 to Biden by 7, Missouri, from Biden by 12 to Biden by 20, Washington State, from Sanders by 20 to Sanders by 6.

And since I live in Georgia, 24 Mar Primary and will vote in the democratic Primary, on 4 Mar it was Biden by 3, 6 Mar it is Biden by 21.

I know a lot of folks here don't pay attention to polls. But numbers always fascinated me. Isn't strange that prior to South Carolina almost everyone was giving the nomination to Sanders. Now after Super Tuesday, almost everyone is saying Biden. But one needs to keep in mind if things can change dynamically in 4 days, they can change again.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It took me a while to get over/accept why 53% of white women voted for a monster.

My mistake. Maybe that 53% bought in to his lies because then they could pretend he wasn't a monster, and they could continue their lifestyle uninterrupted. I was saddened because I thought women were a little more woke that that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by chunkstyle
One potential candidate has run up the flagpole the idea of a Republican running mate.

Mitt Romney has been floated.
John Kasich
Any never Trump Republican that is open to the possibilities of cutting S.S. And could be instrumental in getting that done.

On the other end I think you can’t ignore the Stacy Abrams rumors.

Sanders has me stumped for a V. P. pick

A Biden/Abrams ticket has the very real possibility of delivering Georgia to the democrats. Abrams lost the governors race in 2018 by a mere 55,000 votes. Win Georgia, Trump loses.

A VP pick for Sanders, should be someone much younger, not from the Northeast, more of a moderate. Klobuchar, Baldwin, both would do nicely. Plus each would probably guarantee a swing state into the Democratic column. But my favorite would be Tammy Duckworth, the spunky senator from Illinois and a military vet. Illinois is going Democratic no matter what, but I really like her spunk, a classy spunk at that.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Page 79 of 212 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard