WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by rporter314 - 05/20/24 05:05 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/20/24 03:38 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,079 my own book page
5,017,078 We shall overcome
4,196,071 Campaign 2016
3,794,717 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,750 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,791
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 104 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 103 104
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Interesting blog:

Vitamin D vrs Acute Respiratory Infections

Very much worth watching, at least the first part. The whole thing is very interesting, if a bit repetitive. It's about a study of studies across many different experiments with Vitamin D supplements. It offers substantial protection from respiratory infections like the ones that Covid-19 gives seriously ill and dying patients.

A lot of the deaths occur not so much because of the virus, but because of the immune response that fills the lungs with fluid. Vitamin D mutes that response. It actually mutes a lot of different inflammatory responses, so it is useful for all sorts of autoimmune diseases. I'm taking about 8000 iu/day for my MS. The doctor blogging is taking about 1000 iu/day. You all should be too!

He says a lot of us are D deficient, and by taking supplements it decreases your respiratory infections by 70%! (But don't go crazy with it: Too much is not healthy.)

Same here. I do not remember the IU of the ones I take but it's pretty good, and I take two a day in the morning, maybe they are the 800 IU pills.
Unfortunately Karen can't take super-dose levels of Vit D because it makes her kidney start making extra crud so she can only take a single 800 IU every other day.
Fortunately, the VA is giving them to her as a prescription, same with the Vitamin C and the Potassium pills.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Unfortunately, this vitamin D trend isn't all blue skies. Some people are overdoing it with supplements. Researchers looking at national survey data gathered between 1999 and 2014 found a 2.8% uptick in the number of people taking potentially unsafe amounts of vitamin D — that is, more than 4,000 international units (IU) per day, according to a research letter published in the June 20 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). And during the same time period there was nearly an 18% increase in the number of people taking 1,000 IU or more of vitamin D daily, which is also beyond the dose of 600 to 800 IU recommended for most people.
link

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You won't piss out Vitamin D overdoses. It's fat soluble so if you're fat you store in in your fat cells. If you're skinny you store it in your blood. A most unfortunate circumstance as blood isn't really designed for this and becomes over-calcified. Vitamin D's job is not to prevent inflamation or viruses, it is to make calcium absorbable in your blood. The excess calcium then deposits itself on the walls of your veins and arteries and overtaxes the organs which have to remove it.

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Symptoms might progress to bone pain and kidney problems, such as the formation of calcium stones.

So knock yourselves out with your supplement pills. I'll have a serving of salmon, some eggs, a glass of milk or some cheese. Go for a walk in the sun, your body will make its own!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What about Wal-Mart?
Has anyone asked Wal-Mart how they intend to deal with employees taking too many sick days due to COVID-19?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I wonder. Perhaps Ted Cruz, and the other Republican senators may just not want to weigh in on covid-19 as they disagree with their dear leader?

Just wondering............. (seems an easy way to go on this stuff)

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
As I said in my earlier post: Don't go nuts on the Vitamin D. Nobody is going to overdose on 1000-2000 iu per day. Doctors give people 200,000 - 600,000 iu shots on a yearly basis sometimes! I'm a special case because I have MS, so I try to keep my blood Vitamin D level in the 70-80 range (100 is the upper limit of "normal"). I get tested every couple of months and adjust my intake. It used to be 10,000 iu / day but that put me right at 100, so I cut back. If you are going to take a high dose, you have to get tested regularly because Vitamin D overdose is very very bad.

The first thing we found out about Vitamin D is that is regulates Calcium. But we have found out lots more. This is not unusual. Most vitamins and drugs have multiple effects because of conservation of useful genetic code. That means when some gene code is useful for one thing in the body, you often find that same code in other genes that do other things. We also find a whole lot of common code across species. If some code was useful for a tiny nematode, that code survived mostly intact through evolution into other species.

Anyway, one thing we have found out about D is that it modulates inflammatory response. An aspect of that is that high-normal levels (like mine) are just about as effective as any current MS drug. These are not opinions. These are observed facts from multiple peer-reviewed scientific papers. The link I posted is a British doctor's blog. The study he references is a study of multiple studies, all peer-reviewed, with N in the thousands and p < 0.05. For you non-statisticians, that means the findings are very very solid.

Sorry about Karen, Jeff, but it's good they are giving her some. As for just getting a lot of sun, in Florida that could work especially if you are White and a nudist. Otherwise you might want to have your doctor check your level. A lot of people are Vitamin D deficient, especially in northern latitudes who get very little sun. Lack of Vitamin D from the sun is probably why MS is prevalent in northern parts of the world.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Oz agrees with your guy so I guess it's okay!

Whenever something like megadoses of vitamin C D E B12 Zinc or whatever rolls around you have a lot of folks who buy the 50K IU supplements and take them daily.
Prescribing your own medications from blurbs on the internet can be harmful or fatal. Some are drinking bleach, hundreds just died in Iran from methanol poisoning and Iranian clerics say you can cure it by putting essential oil on your anus.

My neighbor just told me that mushrooms will cure it and since no one else knows that it wont be all bought out. She's going in to town today to stock up! Asked me if I needed any...

So people are running their vitamin D blood levels up into the thousands, storing it away in fat for the next hundred years and they don't even have the virus and it's gunking up their kidneys. Some supplement companies are selling them food waste sludge formed into tablets for more than the cost of gold and they're going in debt to buy it. Might be vitamin D...might not. The herd rushes around from one miracle cure to another.

The neighbor with the mushrooms...I see her often when I walk my dog. If I tell her tonight that vitamin D should be supplemented she'll go online and see that it's true. Then start feeding her 92 year old husband with bad kidneys megadoses of it. Because more is always better.

I'm not arguing about the vitamin D thing I'm pointing out what's gonna happen when word gets out.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As for just getting a lot of sun, in Florida that could work especially if you are White and a nudist.
As it happens...I'm white, I live in Florida, and I'm a nudist. Not a pretty sight, I assure you.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
>nudist: Excellent idea! As for not so pretty, that's other people's problem, not yours. But in an indecent exposure trial, I think I would go with "freedom of religion" instead of "Seeking good health".

Some vitamins you just piss out any excess. I suppose too much Vitamin C could give you heartburn, but that would be several grams per day. Vitamins A and D are not like that. Beyond a certain point, more is bad, and way more is deadly. For example, humans can't eat much polar bear liver without dying from Vitamin A poisoning.

That doc who's blog I linked had a very interesting theory: When humans migrated North from Africa, they turned White. Why? Probably because the Black kids died from lack of Vitamin D. The lighter ones got enough and lived through epidemics. He couldn't think of any other evolutionary advantage of losing melanin. Of course some biologist looking at brightly-colored tropical birds found that being more attractive to potential mates can be a selective advantage. But the Vitamin D theory is a little more compelling than "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

The Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium says that the frequency of a particular gene in a population will remain stable unless there is some strong pressure to get rid of it. This is why we have different blood types, different eye color, etc. There has to be some very strong pressure for there to be essentially zero Black people in Nordic populations before we started traveling about in modern times. If it was weaker, you would expect a HW equilibrium point higher that zero.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
One thing that struck me while watching a documentary about the 1918 flu pandemic was that certain classes of people think their position will protect them from infection. For example, some Kansas lads from the flu point of origin joined the army for the WWI effort. They carried the virus into an army camp. It was cold, so the commander had them packed like sardines in the barracks. The infection spread exponentially, and because it was a novel flu there was a massive die off. But here's the kicker: A bunch of officers left the camp on horseback and moved to another camp to escape the disease. They carried the virus to the other camp and most of the soldiers there died as well! Then soldiers got on a train and spread flu over many states at every point the train stopped.

We are seeing the same problem. In some countries they have shut down everything and kept people isolated. Those efforts are quite successful! China, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are all doing that and the number of new cases is dropping. They also have massive testing.

In our country, this administration sees this as a political problem. They are spreading lies, gagging experts, telling us to go to work sick, etc. And all the while assuming that because they are important they will not be infected. COVID-19 DOES NOT CARE IF YOU ARE RICH OR IMPORTANT! In fact, it is more likely to strike rich people who travel by air, go to meetings, mix with other rich people, and so forth, rather than poor people who stay home and minimize contacts with others.

Page 11 of 104 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard