WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 87 of 212 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 211 212
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I believe firmly in Marxist sociocultural evolution. That society will evolve ultimately to communism. My communism isn't a stark soviet landscape but a science fiction future where everyone is rich and everything is shared.

Social democracy is the obvious next step, and we have working models in place. Over the last few years Bernie's agenda has become the agenda of the Democratic Party. It is not yet the agenda of the DNC.

This is the Boomers last gasp, the last analog generation before we went digital.
Millenials want those nice things that other countries have and they'll be taking over soon.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
From what I can tell, most folks on this site are Sanders supporters. So is there any truth to this article?

"Bernie Bros warn of ‘massive exodus’ if Democrats nominate Joe Biden"

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/berni...dus-if-democrats-nominate-joe-biden/amp/

I know in 2016 while the Democratic base voted for Hillary 89-8 over Trump with 3% voting third party. Sanders supporters did vote for Hillary, but by a 75-12 margin with 13% voting third party. If this about to happen again?

https://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sanders-trump-2016-election-654320

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think they learned their lesson after years of Trump. That science fiction bright future has to be after we solve the climate problem. It's going to be pretty bleak until that is fixed. So not like something any of us will see in our lifetimes.

But I can see an end to money. So much is handled now electronically, it would be easy to just evolve that into a social credit system. Then the values assigned to certain activities would be controlled by the government rather than by the rich.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I think they learned their lesson after years of Trump. That science fiction bright future has to be after we solve the climate problem. It's going to be pretty bleak until that is fixed. So not like something any of us will see in our lifetimes.

But I can see an end to money. So much is handled now electronically, it would be easy to just evolve that into a social credit system. Then the values assigned to certain activities would be controlled by the government rather than by the rich.

The number of "Busters" is much lower than in 2016.

Busters are NOT "Bernie BRO's", they are "Bernie or Bust" voters.
A very very dear friend of mine was a Buster in 2016.
I am a bit apprehensive of asking her if she still has the same stance, because I am not in the mood for the venting she uncorked last time.
She's a wonderful person, but this is (or was) her peccadillo.
She hated Hillary then, she hates Hillary now. But Hillary isn't running, Joe is.

Another friend, a former associate I used to shoot film with, is already firmly in the Tulsi camp. She was Bernie first, then went to Stein in 2016. I got about ten minutes into debating the wisdom of voting Stein and gave up.
Again, a wonderful person, but that is her peccadillo.

I can say that I suspect that Friend #1 is no longer a Buster, but I am hesitant to say that with confidence just yet.

Anyway, that and a dime will get you the chance to look at a cup of coffee. I guess I'll make more inquiries...at some point.

For the record, and for Perotista's sake, I did vote for Sanders in the California primaries. Sanders won California but the math is not looking good elsewhere.
If, as it seems, that his path to the nomination is blocked, I'll vote "Democrat 2020", which probably means Biden.
I'll do it reluctantly and under protest but that's my vote.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
enthusiast
Busters. I like that. Sounds like my grand daughter. She was going to Kennesaw State in 2016, a huge Sanders supporters. When Hillary became the nominee, she lost all interest in politics and never voted in the general. Now she's out of college, got a job, this year she hasn't expressed any interest either.

I don't know how Sanders supporters will react this year. There might be a change over in them. Sanders may have lost those college kids of 2016, replaced by college kids of 2020. Like by grand daughter in 2016, avid Sanders supporter, then nothing for 2020. Perhaps once out of college, the zeal ebbs. Loss of those young voters could explain why Sanders isn't doing nearly as good this year as compared to 2016

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It could easily happen. Say what you will about Biden, he's uninspiring and has a sketchy record on pretty much everything. I can't speak for whomever "Bernie Bros" might be but as a progressive I'm looking at 2024 and whether I'd rather have a lame duck Trump or an 80 year old Biden. It's probably going to depend entirely on his VP choice.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
So the choice is going to be oatmeal or arsenic. I'd rather have the oatmeal, please. I did vote for Bernie, but he just doesn't have the votes. Still rather have the oatmeal...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree. Hopefully, Biden chooses a fresh young face who he can groom for 2024. You probably prefer an ideologue, myself, someone more moderate. Personally I like Tammy Duckworth, Stacey Abrams, Klobuchar, perhaps Baldwin. The latter three are from swing states allowing Biden a better chance of winning them. Duckworth, a spunky Vet from Illinois. Just something about here I always liked.

journeyman
journeyman
I also would have liked to see Tammy Duckworth be a possible VP candidate or even a Presidential Candidate. However, she is ineligible; Senator Tammy Duckworth, despite being a Combat Veteran and a double amputee, is not a "Natural Born Us Citizen", she was born in Bangkok Thailand.

If she could run against President Donald (...) Trump*, she would be unassailable and probably unbeatable.

Tammy Duckworth

*Impeached

Last edited by Ujest Shurly; 03/15/20 04:23 PM.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
enthusiast
enthusiast
My oldest daughter and son were also born in Bangkok Thailand and are citizens. American father, Thai mother who has since become a citizen. A lot of people seem to think one must be born within the confines of the U.S. border. That's not the case. We've had some presidential candidate born outside the borders.

George Romney Mexico
Goldwater, Arizona Territory
McCain, Panama
Cruz, Canada
Gabbard, American Samoa

There may be others, but these come readily to mind. This controversy will probably rage until the SCOTUS actually rules on what a natural born citizen is.

As far as I know, being born overseas is no big thing as long as one parent is a U.S. Citizen. That automatically makes the child a U.S. Citizen. Now naturally born, most constitutional scholars seems to think so. Not all, but a good majority. We really won't know until the SCOTUS rules.

Page 87 of 212 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard