WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/20/24 03:38 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,072 my own book page
5,017,078 We shall overcome
4,196,071 Campaign 2016
3,794,717 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,749 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,790
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 48 of 104 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 103 104
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I also read that 150 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes will do the trick. Not sure what it will do to the elastic after repeated heatings.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If need be, you can replace the elastic with four 18" lengths of 1/8" cord or long sewn fabric strips. But clothes driers typically run at 140 F, so 150 F probably will not hurt the elastic.

My wife was burning little swaths of all her fabric pieces last night, to see what was natural and what was synthetic. Natural fabrics work better for catching droplets. They burn like paper. Synthetics burn more vigorously and leave little beads of melted plastic. She got some very simple mask patterns off the internet. I managed to print it out for her before I screwed up my printer. It pulled in the pulse oximeter cord, and I pulled it out. Now it says it has a paper jam, but it feeds paper perfectly.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
all that trouble with masks ...

me musing <--- why not drink some clorox or shine a UV lamp in my eyes .... won't that cure something?

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

L
veteran
veteran
L
If all the people were gone then the Covid would die out.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Got my blood drawn today for a very high quality antibody test. Used HealthLabs.com, because they supply their own doctor to order it. They claim to use the FDA-approved Abbott test with 100% specificity. I have no reason to think they aren't since they are BBB A+ and have very high BBB customer ratings. They sent me to a local Quest Diagnostics for the sample, and the tech drawing the blood said Quest has their own patient-ordered antibody tests now, for a bit less money. Problem with that is they use the Abbott test and another pretty crappy one.

If you do go through HealthLabs.com, beware: Their site faxed my test order in and sent me to a closed Quest location. I had to go back to their website to see some other lab locations, verify that a different one was open, and have my test order faxed to them. Quest was great: Everybody there masked. They won't even let you in without a mask. No waiting at all, since no customers there. Blood draw was quick and painless. Very professional.

Bathed in hand sanitizer back at my car, wore my mask home, then dumped my clothes in the washer and took a hot shower. Now I wait to see if I'm one of the privileged few or one of the high-risk protectees for when California starts to reopen over the next few months.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I mentioned a while back that Trump may have been right about hydroxychloroquine, but actually he wasn't. He was promoting it as if it could cure the seriously ill. It can't. Like EVERY OTHER ANTIVIRAL ON EARTH it has to be given as early as possible. Instead of ERs sending Covod-19 patients home until they develop pneumonia, they should be sending those patents home with hydroxychloroquine and zinc. I bet a lot fewer would come back to the hospital with pneumonia.

They have some good antivirals for influenza, and they act the same way. Given as early as possible, fewer serious cases. Given late after the virus has already replicated like crazy, they do nothing. None of them are anti-virus. They interfere with viral replication. Once a new virus is assembled, the drug has no effect on it.

This is very different from antibiotics. Bacteria are alive and have all sorts of critical processes that have to happen or they die. Every one of those is a potential weak spot some antibiotic could attack. Viruses are not really alive: They just replicate, like a computer worm that does nothing but send out more worms. The only weak spots are stages in that replication.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
The dosage for chloroquine for other uses is much, much lower than "suggested" for COVID. It's kinda like the difference between taking a week to drink two bottles of wine or chugging them both in one sitting. Seriously different effects.

Even the Lupus dose and malaria dose are a fraction of what CV19 patients have received, which sounds suspiciously like what is sometimes known as a "shock dose".
Shock dose regimens have their use, like in the early times treatment of some STD's. A guy gets the ordinary case of The Clap, the doc puts fourteen Penicillin in his hand and tells him to take them all at once, then follow up with one a day for the next five days.

But CV19 is not The Clap, nor is it even a bacterial infection.
I shudder to think who may have even come up with the notion of a shock dose of an antiviral medication.
Since I am not a doctor, I have no earthly idea if the mechanism of action is the same.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
I shudder to think who may have even come up with the notion of a shock dose of an antiviral medication.

Someone who wants to get the maximum profits out of this bullshit before everyones' kidneys fall out of their arses.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
L
veteran
veteran
L
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Vice-President Mike Pence has started wearing a mask after Anthony Fauci told him that it will protect him from women, Fauci has confirmed.

After seeing video of a maskless Pence touring the Mayo Clinic, on Tuesday, Fauci said, “I knew I had to come up with something fast” to get through to Pence.

Fauci immediately got on the phone with the Vice-President and informed him that “clinical research” had demonstrated that a mask is “an effective female-repellent.”

“I told him that wearing a mask would protect him from 99.99 per cent of all women,” Fauci said. “He seemed very impressed.”

In an official statement, the Vice-President thanked Fauci for his excellent advice and indicated that he would start wearing a mask at all times, including at home.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Got my results back today: NEGATIVE Which means either I had something awfully flu-like, but not influenza A or B. Or I did have a mild case of Covid-19 but didn't make any IgG antibodies. This is the phenomenon called "failed to seroconvert" by some researchers. Either way, I get to hide out until we have a vaccine. Once I get vaccinated and wait a month, I can try again and see if I make any IgG.

Dr. Fauci was on CBS today, to tell us they did see some difference in a big remdesivir trial. It shortened recovery time by a few days, but with p < 0.001. That's gold-standard. So it does do some good, for some people. Now the big questions are how much does it cost and how much can they make quickly?

We should have some decent trials on hydroxychloroquine + zinc, ivermectin, and pepcid soon. They do have the advantage of being very cheap and highly available. If the 10 cent generic works as well as the $$$$ remdesivir, then it would be very nice. Especially for people in the Third World.

One thing to keep in mind: Antivirals only work if you give it early as possible. So they would have to give it to EVERYONE who has any symptoms, even if most would not need it.

Page 48 of 104 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard