WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 49 of 104 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 103 104
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Got my results back today: NEGATIVE Which means either I had something awfully flu-like, but not influenza A or B. Or I did have a mild case of Covid-19 but didn't make any IgG antibodies. This is the phenomenon called "failed to seroconvert" by some researchers. Either way, I get to hide out until we have a vaccine. Once I get vaccinated and wait a month, I can try again and see if I make any IgG.

Dr. Fauci was on CBS today, to tell us they did see some difference in a big remdesivir trial. It shortened recovery time by a few days, but with p < 0.001. That's gold-standard. So it does do some good, for some people. Now the big questions are how much does it cost and how much can they make quickly?

We should have some decent trials on hydroxychloroquine + zinc, ivermectin, and pepcid soon. They do have the advantage of being very cheap and highly available. If the 10 cent generic works as well as the $$$$ remdesivir, then it would be very nice. Especially for people in the Third World.

One thing to keep in mind: Antivirals only work if you give it early as possible. So they would have to give it to EVERYONE who has any symptoms, even if most would not need it.

In order for it to work it must simply be made universally available, at no cost to most people, certainly those impacted...which IS "most people" now, let's face it.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Got my results back today: NEGATIVE Which means either I had something awfully flu-like, but not influenza A or B. Or I did have a mild case of Covid-19 but didn't make any IgG antibodies. This is the phenomenon called "failed to seroconvert" by some researchers. Either way, I get to hide out until we have a vaccine. Once I get vaccinated and wait a month, I can try again and see if I make any IgG.

Dr. Fauci was on CBS today, to tell us they did see some difference in a big remdesivir trial. It shortened recovery time by a few days, but with p < 0.001. That's gold-standard. So it does do some good, for some people. Now the big questions are how much does it cost and how much can they make quickly?

We should have some decent trials on hydroxychloroquine + zinc, ivermectin, and pepcid soon. They do have the advantage of being very cheap and highly available. If the 10 cent generic works as well as the $$$$ remdesivir, then it would be very nice. Especially for people in the Third World.

One thing to keep in mind: Antivirals only work if you give it early as possible. So they would have to give it to EVERYONE who has any symptoms, even if most would not need it.
First, a Pasteur study which has been narrowly reported elsewhere, identified a 4th relative of the COVID-19 circulating in France prior to the outbreak, and non-Wuhan sourced (as far as they can tell). That shows the not-surprising reality that there are other coronavirus relatives circulating around the world that also have the potential to become outbreaks. I wonder if what you got was one of those, but too distant a relative to show up on the test. Some of these relatives are known to be more gastro-centric rather than pneumo.

Second, I have been researching and perseverating about the population that doesn't produce IgG antibodies, as you note "This is the phenomenon called "failed to seroconvert" by some researchers." How big is this population? We need to know that. Testing, testing, testing.

Finally, I am excited about the remdesivir results. It will probably only be a stop-gap until a better, more specific anti-viral is developed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Finally, I am excited about the remdesivir results. It will probably only be a stop-gap until a better, more specific anti-viral is developed.

I am experiencing a mixture of hopefulness and despair, hopefulness because Remdesivir might be promising, and despair because it may turn out that CV19 is just the first in a large FAMILY of new virii, each of which want to take a whack at the human race.

Maybe Mother Earth has decided she's had enough of us and this is just the first hit, with a fusillade of hits to come.

The SARS family of coronavirii are not new, but it's possible that this is the shining moment where SARS decided it likes us too much to just let us go.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
What would have been the effect of a nationwide shutdown for 4 weeks starting on Feb 1? Would that have contained the virus? I suspect it would take a synchronized global effort.

The one thing which makes me think is, when a person dies, they don't come back, when an economy dies, it can be rebooted.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Be patient. One of the new vaccines shows it generates lots of anti-corona virus antibodies that neutralize the virus. It still needs the usual human trials to make sure it's safe, but at least it looks like it works. Three or four of the vaccines are at this stage or further along.

Yes a Feb 1 shutdown would have saved thousands of lives. We needed time to develop tests. It's almost impossible to do the usual contact tracing when you have so much asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread. A tight quarantine would have knocked it down with R0 << 1.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
One thing we need to seriously think about is what kind of behavior is needed to open state quarantines, without massive failures and reinstatement of quarantines. One of those will be that everybody will have to wear masks in public. This is going to have to have some very compelling incentives. We have some people who see this as a freedom issue, but masks don't protect you. They prevent you from spreading the virus to other people. So these are not brave freedom fighters, as they see themselves. They are actually sociopaths trying to kill you!

Stores could be extremely safe places, if EVERYBODY wore masks at all times. That includes stockers working graveyard shift. Virus on surfaces degrades within a few days, so grocery items could auto-decontaminate just by sitting in a warehouse and then on store shelves. But stores will need to have a strict MASKED ONLY policy, with real teeth. Like immediately kicking people out if they don't have masks or they drop their masks. People who see masks as fascism could just take their business elsewhere, but then change their behavior when they find that no stores will let them in without a mask. Hunger is a strong incentive.

Looking at protesters in the news, the fact that they are not wearing masks is great evidence that the state is not ready to eliminate their restrictions. Everybody out in public spaces has to be wearing a mask. Then and only then can that state open back up. If that takes state laws or public health arrests, then that's what we need. Otherwise the infection rate is going to shoot back up again.

We need a big experiment: Some states will require masks and some won't. When the unmasked state rates rise exponentially, it will be clear. Not wearing a mask fits the legal definition of manslaughter.

G
G
Interesting video on Youtube today. The Peak Prosperity pathologist looked at the actual risk of hydroxychloroquine, and he found nothing but a lot of hype. No data at all. No risk numbers to make an informed decision on. What he did find is tons of pre-covid19 web pages promoting the use of hydroxychloroquine for malaria control. Including FDA recommendations that never mention anything about heart problems. We've been using chloroquine for over 70 years now, in the millions of doses. You'd think somebody would notice if people were dropping dead on it. Maybe put a little note on the "common side effects" list!

I think we are being hornswaggled here by Big Pharma again. Nobody can make a dime off a 70 year old drug that costs a few pennies. Somebody needs to publish real QT elongation data, and somebody needs to do a real double-blind random drug trial that gives patients hydroxychloroquine and zinc versus placebo tablets, as soon as they detect any symptoms. And please, leave out the azithromycin: That is known to cause QT elongation and lists hydroxychloroquine as a known drug interaction risk.

In fact hydroxychloroquine has been used so much for so long that I suspect more danger of heart problems comes from azithromycin and Covod-19 than from hydroxychloroquine.

I don't know why you are under the impression that the cardiac toxicity of hydroxychloroquine hadn't been reported before. This is from the official FDA monograph on HCQ:

"Cardiac Effects, including Cardiomyopathy and QT prolongation: Postmarketing cases of life-threatening and fatal cardiomyopathy have been reported with use of hydroxychloroquine sulfate as well as with use of chloroquine. Patients may present with atrioventricular block, pulmonary hypertension, sick sinus syndrome or with cardiac complications. ECG findings may include atrioventricular, right or left bundle branch block. Signs or symptoms of cardiac compromise have appeared during acute and chronic treatment. Clinical monitoring for signs and symptoms of cardiomyopathy is advised, including use of appropriate diagnostic tools such as ECG to monitor patients for cardiomyopathy during hydroxychloroquine sulfate therapy. Chronic toxicity should be considered when conduction disorders (bundle branch block/atrio-ventricular heart block) or biventricular hypertrophy are diagnosed. If cardiotoxicity is suspected, prompt discontinuation of hydroxychloroquine sulfate may prevent life-threatening complications.

Hydroxychloroquine sulfate prolongs the QT interval. Ventricular arrhythmias and torsades de pointes have been reported in patients taking hydroxychloroquine sulfate. Therefore, hydroxychloroquine sulfate should not be administered with other drugs that have the potential to prolong the QT interval."

And you are correct that the combination with azithromycin makes it worse (given that AZ also prolongs QTc, exactly the situation the FDA is warning about). Also, the SARS-CoV-2 causes myocarditis, which makes the problem worse too, which is why we are seeing WAY MORE cardiac toxicity with HCQ+AZ in COVID-19 than with malaria.

Safety is disease-specific. A medication (or even worse, a combination of medications) can be helpful and harmless in patients with one condition, and ineffective and harmful in patients with a different condition.

This is why when a new indication is proposed for an existing drug, the FDA requires NEW safety and efficacy tests in THAT population before the indication is granted. Assuming that because it is safe and effective for malaria, it is safe and effective for COVID-19, is a grave mistake.

Regardless of what your YouTube is saying, yes, there's been very clear-cut reports of cardiac toxicity with AZ + HCQ or CQ in COVID-19, including a study in which so many subjects dropped dead of cardiac arrest that the Data and Safety Monitoring Board ordered the study terminated.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/03/20 01:24 AM. Reason: typo

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
G
G
Be patient. One of the new vaccines shows it generates lots of anti-corona virus antibodies that neutralize the virus. It still needs the usual human trials to make sure it's safe, but at least it looks like it works. Three or four of the vaccines are at this stage or further along.

Yes a Feb 1 shutdown would have saved thousands of lives. We needed time to develop tests. It's almost impossible to do the usual contact tracing when you have so much asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread. A tight quarantine would have knocked it down with R0 << 1.

Further along? Which one is further along? That I know, there is no vaccine that has progressed beyond barely scratching the Phase I trials.

Yes, we took too long to lockdown.

In Mississipi, the governor is getting cold feet. A surge in cases and deaths on Friday has him reconsidering the reopening there. Which is interesting because there is always a gap between infection and diagnosis, and diagnosis and death. So if it's surging now, it relates to a surge that happened before the reopening. But I'll take it, because I do think that it is premature to open up, from the epidemiological standpoint.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/03/20 01:08 AM.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
G
G
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
First, a Pasteur study which has been narrowly reported elsewhere, identified a 4th relative of the COVID-19 circulating in France prior to the outbreak, and non-Wuhan sourced (as far as they can tell). That shows the not-surprising reality that there are other coronavirus relatives circulating around the world that also have the potential to become outbreaks. I wonder if what you got was one of those, but too distant a relative to show up on the test. Some of these relatives are known to be more gastro-centric rather than pneumo.

Interesting. A friend of mine, medical doctor, had to quarantine out of work for two weeks, as he developed fever, malaise, muscle aches, and a GI syndrome. We were all thinking that he had caught COVID-19 from a patient, but he ended up testing negative. Maybe he was one of the ones you're referring to.

G
G
Originally Posted by rporter314
The one thing which makes me think is, when a person dies, they don't come back

No, they do. I saw it on TV. It was called "Game of Thrones." crazy

Page 49 of 104 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard