WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 50 of 104 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 103 104
G
G
Originally Posted by logtroll
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Vice-President Mike Pence has started wearing a mask after Anthony Fauci told him that it will protect him from women, Fauci has confirmed.

After seeing video of a maskless Pence touring the Mayo Clinic, on Tuesday, Fauci said, “I knew I had to come up with something fast” to get through to Pence.

Fauci immediately got on the phone with the Vice-President and informed him that “clinical research” had demonstrated that a mask is “an effective female-repellent.”

“I told him that wearing a mask would protect him from 99.99 per cent of all women,” Fauci said. “He seemed very impressed.”

In an official statement, the Vice-President thanked Fauci for his excellent advice and indicated that he would start wearing a mask at all times, including at home.

Another comedian said, Pence just wanted to be able to tell barefaced lies.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
G
G
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Singapore did a massively stupid thing: They had a very tight lockdown, everybody wears masks, etc. So they had a few hundred cases. But they just completely forgot about their foreign workers! I guess they were invisible, so nobody thought about them. They all live in very crowded dorms, take jammed buses and trucks to get to work, etc.

Now they have 11,000 cases.

Singapore Screwed Up

“This reflects the deliberate invisibilization of the foreign worker; the whole machinery of state operates as though they don’t exist,” Alex Au, vice president of TWC2, told the Washington Post.

Singapore’s outbreak serves as a cautionary tale for neglecting marginalized communities during a pandemic. It’s hard not to see parallels between Singapore’s migrant workers and the U.S.’s underclass of essential workers who labor without the necessary safety protections, or our undocumented farmworkers who are somehow considered both “essential” and “illegal” (and are even being detained on the job).

Oh wow. I admire Singapore as a rational country in which the government listens to scientists... and they still managed to screw up royally. Darn!

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
G
G
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Finally, I am excited about the remdesivir results. It will probably only be a stop-gap until a better, more specific anti-viral is developed.

I am experiencing a mixture of hopefulness and despair, hopefulness because Remdesivir might be promising, and despair because it may turn out that CV19 is just the first in a large FAMILY of new virii, each of which want to take a whack at the human race.

Maybe Mother Earth has decided she's had enough of us and this is just the first hit, with a fusillade of hits to come.

The SARS family of coronavirii are not new, but it's possible that this is the shining moment where SARS decided it likes us too much to just let us go.

Hopefully we will emerge from this a bit better prepared for the next one (and hopefully with a better president).

G
G
Originally Posted by logtroll
but unless it is an N95 it doesn't offer much personal protection.

That is actually not true. It is what was said when the pandemic was starting, and in my opinion it was a calculated lie, to avoid a run to masks, so that healthcare workers would have them. Masks that are not N95 still deliver some significant protection. Procedure masks (a.k.a. surgical masks when they are sterile, or simply the hospital-grade facemasks, those usually yellow or blue with ear loops), if they are properly fit, that is, worn tight and with the nose clip well-positioned, confer above 90% of protection to the healthy individual wearing them. It still doesn't compare to the N95 which with a proper seal, exceeds 99% of protection. But it's not like the facemask is useless for the healthy person like officials initially insisted. Cloth homemade masks, though, offer a lot less protection than procedure masks. They depend on the material (high thread count bed sheets being the best one). The ones with pouches for a filter help more if you insert a HEPA vacuum cleaner filter, but still, the protection drops significantly from the one provided by a procedure mask, especially for small particles like the SARS-CoV-2 (better for large particles like the influenza virus). Apparently shop towels are second best after vacuum cleaner filters, but again, better for large particles. Scarves deliver almost no protection whatsoever (unlike Trump said), like 2%. This information comes from a study of some 20 different masks and materials all the way up to hospital-grade procedure masks and N95 masks, with small and large particles, which I linked to in another site (sorry, currently I don't have the link on me).

Anyway, the take home lesson is, if you don't have an N95 mask (with a proper seal), at least try to get hospital-grade procedure masks and wear them tightly. If you can't get them, then make homemade masks with high thread count bed sheets, double-layered with a pocket, and insert a HEPA vacuum filter. That's the best you can do.

Me, I do have both N95s and procedure masks, so I'm not wearing homemade masks, but that's the best advice I can give, based on that study. That was an industry study using a device to blow particles of different size onto the various masks. I also saw a real scientific study blowing actual viruses into simulated faces (mannequins) and comparing procedure masks poorly fit, procedure masks tightly fit, N95 masks poorly fit without a seal, and N95 masks tightly fit with a seal. While, again, obviously the N95 with a seal beat all other options, a procedure mask tightly fit still beat an N95 poorly fit. So, no, they are absolutely not useless like health officials wanted the population to believe, at first.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/03/20 01:59 AM.

G
G
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
If Georgia lifts all restrictions and keeps everything open, the potential infectees to the herd immunity point are (70-23)% * 10 million population. That's 4.7 million people. If just 1% of them die, that's 47,000 people. The economic impact of that would be about 470 billion dollars. Can Georgia afford that?

I don't think so. So I predict an opening, a surge in infections and deaths, and then another closure. This will happen in every state that "reopens", because most people are idiots who will go nuts and party, eat out, and hookup with strangers like mad as soon as their state opens. It's going to be like an "all clear" siren that gets everybody out in the street just before the bombs start falling.

States could reopen without that fiasco, but it would require everybody to wear masks whenever out, maintain distance, be very careful with anything that could be contaminated, etc. I think most people will fail miserably at that.

Agreed, 100%, except for one thing: if the spontaneous R0 (without containment measures) of this virus is 5.7 like some updated estimates propose, then the percentage of the population necessary for herd immunity is 82.5%. That would increase the number of dead people in Georgia above what you calculated, if they didn't exercise any containment measure whatsoever.

G
G
I also read that 150 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes will do the trick. Not sure what it will do to the elastic after repeated heatings.
I don't see an advantage in doing that if you have a few masks to rotate. Put each of then in a separate, labeled paper bag. If you have 5 masks, use one a day and repeat mask #1 in day 6, and no SARS-CoV-2 will be active and infectious on the surface of the mask 5 days later.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
I also read that 150 degrees in the oven for 15 minutes will do the trick. Not sure what it will do to the elastic after repeated heatings.
I don't see an advantage in doing that if you have a few masks to rotate. Put each of then in a separate, labeled paper bag. If you have 5 masks, use one a day and repeat mask #1 in day 6, and no SARS-CoV-2 will be active and infectious on the surface of the mask 5 days later.

I've been using a UV-C light to sanitize them.
It's a fairly strong unit. That plus we have about a dozen of them, so there's always at least four available at any given time.
[Linked Image from images.uline.com]

Waiting on a 100 pack to arrive, so we won't have to do this much longer. What I am fed up with is the fact that alcohol, simple alcohol, is now unobtanium. I will not pay 20 bucks for a liter of isopropyl, I refuse on principle.
So I am about to embark on trying to make my own ethanol.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
veteran
veteran
I see the R0 anywhere from 1.4 to 5.7. However the WHO is using the number span from 2.0 to 2.7. One of the cruise ships had a rate of 2.2.

The variability is apparently tied to testing and definitive confirmations.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a question:
Donald Trump is a huge admirer of Brazil's hardcore right wing president, Javier Bolsonaro, yes?
Brazil’s total 2019 ethanol production is estimated at 34.45 billion liters, an increase of four percent compared to the revised figure for 2018. Total domestic demand for ethanol (fuel and other uses) for calendar year 2019 is estimated at 33.93 billion liters.
That's 9,100,727,203 gallons, a little bit over 9 billion gallons.
Clearly Brazil has the ability to produce a lot of ethanol and...you'd think Trump would want to strike some kind of a deal with Brazil so we could pay them to produce some surplus.

So...why no deal, from the guy who published "The Art of the Deal"? Why aren't we sourcing extra ethanol from Brazil to make up for the drastic domestic shortfall?
(REPORT: USDA Foreign Agricultural Service)

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
G
G
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Here's a question:
Donald Trump is a huge admirer of Brazil's hardcore right wing president, Javier Bolsonaro, yes?
Brazil’s total 2019 ethanol production is estimated at 34.45 billion liters, an increase of four percent compared to the revised figure for 2018. Total domestic demand for ethanol (fuel and other uses) for calendar year 2019 is estimated at 33.93 billion liters.
That's 9,100,727,203 gallons, a little bit over 9 billion gallons.
Clearly Brazil has the ability to produce a lot of ethanol and...you'd think Trump would want to strike some kind of a deal with Brazil so we could pay them to produce some surplus.

So...why no deal, from the guy who published "The Art of the Deal"? Why aren't we sourcing extra ethanol from Brazil to make up for the drastic domestic shortfall?
(REPORT: USDA Foreign Agricultural Service)

His name is Jair, not Javier (which would be a Hispanic name; Brazilians are of Lusitanian culture and speak Portuguese).

Regarding your point, I'd suppose that if we want the alcohol to use for hand sanitizers, Brazil would probably not be highly interested in selling it to foreign countries, given that they have a huge epicenter of the pandemic, themselves.

Page 50 of 104 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard