WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Jeffery J. Haas - 05/20/24 02:30 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,060 my own book page
5,017,077 We shall overcome
4,196,069 Campaign 2016
3,794,715 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,747 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,789
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 53 of 104 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 103 104
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ujest Shurly
You can substitute those Rubber Maid kitchen gloves and they can take an Everclear bath, or wash them on your hands in HOT water and soap.

We are not short on disposable gloves.
We are sanitizing our masks with a strong UV-C light every night.
No, the light is not visible to us at any time because it's on a timer and it's used in a storage room we seldom go into and if needed, we can wait the timer out and the light is off when we do go in.

We need the alcohol for my wife's personal care, which is her catheters and her irrigation gear.

We don't need a lot but we do need "enough" to get the job done every day.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Alcohol is a necessary component for us as well. My wife has a tracheostomy, which requires twice daily treatments lasting a half hour plus (weather plays an amazingly potent role in the process) and weekly trache tube changes, all of which have to be done in a sterile environment. Local pharmacies do not reserve supplies for those at high need, so (like the States competing for PPE supplies against all comers) getting them tends to be luck of the draw. It's infuriating.

Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Alcohol is a necessary component for us as well. My wife has a tracheostomy, which requires twice daily treatments lasting a half hour plus (weather plays an amazingly potent role in the process) and weekly trache tube changes, all of which have to be done in a sterile environment. Local pharmacies do not reserve supplies for those at high need, so (like the States competing for PPE supplies against all comers) getting them tends to be luck of the draw. It's infuriating.

It IS infuriating.
Prior to the pandemic, anything medical that we needed, the VA could send it to us almost immediately, no questions asked.
They can't even send us any alcohol.

That's pretty awful.
I went ahead and placed ONE order for a thirty dollar liter bottle of 200 proof but I intend to get the still up and running ASAP.

This is a direct violation of the most basic and essential needs for survival and it points directly to "providing for the Defence and general Welfare" especially as it pertains to disabled veterans, and certainly to all persons living inside our borders as well.

The Federal Government has a duty to respond to the best of its ability to these shortages. They should not exist in the wealthiest country on Earth for any reason whatsoever.

Trump is acting like The Hunt Brothers when they attempted to corner the market on precious metals, only Trump is succeeding.

deepfreezefilms.com
G
G
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
What I am fed up with is the fact that alcohol, simple alcohol, is now unobtanium. I will not pay 20 bucks for a liter of isopropyl, I refuse on principle.
So I am about to embark on trying to make my own ethanol.
If your State allows it, find 190 proof Everclear. It has been more available than most other sources. Ethanol is actually more effective for viruses than isopropyl. At 190 proof, it can even be slightly diluted and still be effective.

We were pretty well-stocked before this event - except with Kleenex - because my wife has a longstanding condition that requires high levels of cleanliness and disinfection, but our supply of hand sanitizer and gloves is dwindling.

Can't you appeal to her doctor and/or the local health department to see if an exception is granted and they provide her with more cleaning and disinfection supplies?

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I wonder if paint or home improvement stores have any alcohol? I don't think the denaturing agents are harmful to bare skin. Any combination of methanol, ethanol, or isopropanol is going to work. It's a pain in the ass, but you can distill your own moonshine if you have something that can be fermented, some yeast, and some sugar.

One thing I have found, is I don't bother with gloves much. I just touch packages or the mail and such, and then either hand sanitize or wash my hands with hot water and dish detergent. You are not going to get the virus by touching it, just from then touching your face or other things in you house or car before you sanitize them. And you can accidentally do that with gloves on. I worked in an OR for a while when I was young, so I have a very good knowledge of sterile procedure. I know when one or both hands are contaminated, and act accordingly.

It's funny, but my wife is a retired vet and pathologist who worked with stuff like possibly rabid dog carcasses. She is a lot more casual about this stuff. The other day she took some keys from another person we should have kept at a distance, who was not wearing a mask. Then she stuck her hand in her purse!

Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
What I am fed up with is the fact that alcohol, simple alcohol, is now unobtanium. I will not pay 20 bucks for a liter of isopropyl, I refuse on principle.
So I am about to embark on trying to make my own ethanol.
If your State allows it, find 190 proof Everclear. It has been more available than most other sources. Ethanol is actually more effective for viruses than isopropyl. At 190 proof, it can even be slightly diluted and still be effective.

We were pretty well-stocked before this event - except with Kleenex - because my wife has a longstanding condition that requires high levels of cleanliness and disinfection, but our supply of hand sanitizer and gloves is dwindling.

Can't you appeal to her doctor and/or the local health department to see if an exception is granted and they provide her with more cleaning and disinfection supplies?

They don't have enough to spare right now.
DHS and FEMA (Trump version) are playing Keep Away with their supplies as well.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
It's a pain in the ass, but you can distill your own moonshine if you have something that can be fermented, some yeast, and some sugar.

The only thing I need to do yet, is to construct the lid with the standpipe coming out of it and the copper coils for the condensation.
I already have all the other hardware and ingeredients for the fermentation.
In fact, once I coil my copper pipes, I'll put a pull-pull computer fan on each end to speed the cooling process.
Pull-pull because that way the air has to come in through the coils instead of being pulled and pushed through them instead.

deepfreezefilms.com
G
G
I wonder if paint or home improvement stores have any alcohol? I don't think the denaturing agents are harmful to bare skin. Any combination of methanol, ethanol, or isopropanol is going to work. It's a pain in the ass, but you can distill your own moonshine if you have something that can be fermented, some yeast, and some sugar.

One thing I have found, is I don't bother with gloves much. I just touch packages or the mail and such, and then either hand sanitize or wash my hands with hot water and dish detergent. You are not going to get the virus by touching it, just from then touching your face or other things in you house or car before you sanitize them. And you can accidentally do that with gloves on. I worked in an OR for a while when I was young, so I have a very good knowledge of sterile procedure. I know when one or both hands are contaminated, and act accordingly.

It's funny, but my wife is a retired vet and pathologist who worked with stuff like possibly rabid dog carcasses. She is a lot more casual about this stuff. The other day she took some keys from another person we should have kept at a distance, who was not wearing a mask. Then she stuck her hand in her purse!

Yes, gloves can actually backfire because they aren't as easily sanitized as bare hands, and the person can then acquire a false sense of security. Also, gloves are known to deteriorate after 2 hours with micro-holes.

This is how I use gloves: if I go to a grocery store I wear one glove in one hand so that I can touch the self-service pads that hundreds of people touch, to pay for my purchase. I then discard it before I get back to the car, and get my 2oz hand sanitizer and disinfect both hands, the one that didn't have a glove and the one that did. Same with gas pumps. I'll have one glove to handle the pump and punch in the credit card numbers, then I discard it too before going back into the car.

So basically I only use gloves to touch the most heavily trafficked surfaces and just for that specific and short purpose then I discard them.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, gloves can actually backfire because they aren't as easily sanitized as bare hands, and the person can then acquire a false sense of security. Also, gloves are known to deteriorate after 2 hours with micro-holes.

This is how I use gloves: if I go to a grocery store I wear one glove in one hand so that I can touch the self-service pads that hundreds of people touch, to pay for my purchase. I then discard it before I get back to the car, and get my 2oz hand sanitizer and disinfect both hands, the one that didn't have a glove and the one that did. Same with gas pumps. I'll have one glove to handle the pump and punch in the credit card numbers, then I discard it too before going back into the car.

So basically I only use gloves to touch the most heavily trafficked surfaces and just for that specific and short purpose then I discard them.

I just disinfect the car surfaces regularly, steering wheel, dash, door handles, buttons, etc and then I disinfect the house doorknobs.
Coming into the house the gloves get taken off immediately and disposed, then the doorknobs get sanitized.

deepfreezefilms.com
G
G

I just disinfect the car surfaces regularly, steering wheel, dash, door handles, buttons, etc and then I disinfect the house doorknobs.
Coming into the house the gloves get taken off immediately and disposed, then the doorknobs get sanitized.

Works too, as long as you remember not to touch your mouth or nose or eyes with your gloved hands.

Page 53 of 104 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard