WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 56 of 104 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 103 104
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Greger
... fake dairy made from soaking your nuts in water has vitamin D added...
Uhhhhh... maybe I shouldn't ask?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The amount of Vitamin D in "fortified" milk is enough to keep kids from having rickets. Usually 400 iu per serving. As an adult, that's enough to get your blood 25-D level up to 4 ng/ml. It's pitiful. They don't add it to anything but milk. It's not present in your diet, unless you eat oily fish. The way most people got enough was they made it from sun exposure. 20 minutes in strong sun with your shirt off gives you about 10,000 iu! Life guards average about 70 ng/ml blood levels. All sorts of diseases are much improved at 40 ng/ml and some like MS at 70 ng/ml.

Unfortunately, most Americans don't get enough sun or eat enough oily fish. Or they go out in the sun slathered in sunblocker which prevents Vitamin D synthesis. Deficiencies are very common, and extreme deficiencies are common in Black people. Seasonal deficiencies are why we get flu in the winter.

Of course, living in Florida, you can easily get enough sun to stay healthy. It worked at sanitariums before they had antibiotics. It worked in 1918. Still works.

G
G
Originally Posted by Greger
Get your ass outside.

Never!

The outdoors are vastly overrated! Think of it: our species is thriving on this hostile planet exactly because wisely, we built artificial habitats to live in and keep the predators outside.

The outdoors have mosquitoes, the biggest killer of humans in the entire humankind history, and still today, more than all the wars put together. Humans are the second biggest cause of death of other humans. The first one is mosquitoes (malaria, yellow fever, hemorrhagic dengue, etc. etc.).

The outdoors have snakes, scorpions, spiders, and now even murder hornets!

The outdoors have coronaviruses. Recently a task force found the SARS-CoV-2 lurking in various outdoor locations (handrails, benches, etc.).

The outdoors have crocodiles. They eat babies. They drag grown people under water to drown.

The outdoors have rabid bats and squirrels and dogs.

The outdoors have grizzly bears and cougars and mountain lions. They eat you.

The outdoors have UV-As and UV-Bs that damage the DNA in skin cells and make them susceptible to bad, bad skin cancers that will kill ya. Oh well, they help with Vitamin D, but you can order a nice big bottle of Vitamin D from Amazon and they'll deliver it to your porch so you don't even need to go expose yourself to the evil UV-As and UV-Bs to get the package. Thank you, Amazon!

The outdoors have pebbles and rocks and puddles for you to slip or trip and fall and break bones. Breaking a femur is not fun.

The outdoors have cars, buses, and trucks that can run you over. That will kill you too. Not to forget, you'll be breathing their diesel fumes. It's pretty nasty.

The outdoors have extremes of temperature. Too hot, too cold; not fun. It's too humid sometimes. Or too dry.

There is rain outdoors. Rain is so annoying. Not to forget, there is also lightning. That can kill ya too.

The outdoors have bad people who mug you. If you're a woman they can even rape you.

The outdoors have pollen that causes seasonal allergies. Runny noses and constant sneezing; thanks, but no thanks. And other irritants include poison ivy!

Pigeons can s*** on your head if you go outdoors.

Cops and park rangers can arrest you and/or fine you if you openly drink alcohol on the streets or national parks.

----------

Now, think of the fabulous world known as indoors.

With a good central AC/heating system and a smart thermostat, you can have a comfortably constant and ideal temperature, and the best systems control the degree of humidity too, to a perfect level.

You are protected from the evil UV-As and UV-Bs. No skin cancer for you. You'll have fewer wrinkles, too. And should I remind you of sunburn? Do you care for looking like a lobster???

All predators are kept outside. Great. No snakes, scorpions, spiders, murder hornets, mosquitoes, crocodiles, grizzly bears, cougars, mountain lions, muggers, and rapists. And no pigeon will s*** on you.

The floor is flat and void of pebbles and rocks and puddles. You can keep your femurs intact.

For the most part if your house is not too close to the street, cars and trucks and buses don't come crashing into it.

You can have nice HEPA filters with activated carbon that will keep your indoors pollen free and without polluting odors. No poison ivy.

If you stay put and you don't let other people into your home, your indoors will be SARS-CoV-2 free.

The indoors are protected with lightening rods, and it doesn't rain indoors unless there is a leak from upstairs.

You don't get arrested or fined for drinking alcohol indoors. Or whatever other substance you fancy.

-----------

OK, I do acknowledge that the outdoors can be pretty, sometimes. But there's a solution for that. Get a huge large-screen TV, like 85 inches, one of the thin ones you hang on a wall, ultra HD, and you can have all the outdoors beauty you need from the National Geographic channel, Travel channel, some BBC specials on nature, etc. You get all the beautiful imagery without the mosquitoes, the UV-As and UV-Bs, the bad smells, etc.

Oh, there are good smells outdoors, too? Certainly. But you can get those from aromatherapy candles and sticks you can have indoors. There, another apparent advantage of the outdoors goes away.

Yeah, yeah, there's the ocean, right? The ocean is pretty neat, I agree. But there are sharks, stingy jellyfish, venomous medusae, and dangerous currents. The oceans can eat you and sting you and drown you. You want the oceans? Maybe you can get another large screen HDTV with ocean documentaries installed next to a jacuzzi. There you go, and the jacuzzi's water is at a nicer temperature than the ocean's water.

Some crazy people might like the feeling of raindrops on their skin. I don't. But in any case, the indoors have showers.

Sports, you say? Another very, very dangerous activity. People break bones and tear ACLs and get concussions. Come on, sports are much more fun to watch than to play; certainly, much safer to watch than to play. If you have a nice lazy boy chair with a cup holder and a nice HDTV you can get your fix of sports much better indoors, and cold beer is just a few yards away in your fridge, and your clean and nice-smelling bathroom is right there. No comparison to waiting in long lines to get beer from a concession stand and to get to a filthy and smelly restroom, not to forget the traffic jam in and out of the stadium and the outrageous parking fees. Oh no, sports are much better indoors.

Flowers, herb gardens, and you love nature's animals? Call a florist for home delivery. Hydroponic herb gardens. Get pets. Preferably the ones you don't need to walk outdoors with, so cats rather than dogs, and gold fish. Birds, creek sounds? You can have caged birds indoors (so that they don't s*** on your head), and a white sound machine. Alexa will play for you any outdoorsy sounds you may possibly want.

Jogging, exercising? Treadmills. Peloton machines. The Mirror machine. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Cabin fever? Go for a ride in your car, hopefully with good AC/heating and cabin HEPA filter. Get to a drive-in movie theater. As soon as the cabin fever dissipates, rush rush, drive back to the safety and comfort of your indoors.

-----------

Have you seen those headhunter messages when one is trying to recruit you to some job? They will tout the location of the new job, and some will say "great outdoors activities." Translation = middle of nowhere.

-----------

I think I've thoroughly demonstrated the vast superiority of the indoors over the outdoors, and how to simulate indoors the few and rare advantages of outdoor living. Going outside is folly. Folly, I'll tell ya. That's stuff for crazy and imprudent people.

laugh

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/11/20 05:09 PM.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hard to surf indoors. But I agree: Stadiums suck, both for sports and for concerts. Lazy Boy seating is vastly superior.

G
G
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Hard to surf indoors.

Surfing = opportunity to break your neck and be eaten by sharks. I recommend a roller blade inside your Jacuzzi. cool

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You poor thing! Chicken s*** and dog slobber are just a part of life....ack....and dog farts too! I probably shouldn't have fed him that cabbage.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
journeyman
journeyman
Thank you GNT, at 542 am I needed a good belly chuckle.

LOL ThumbsUp :applaud:

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Well, Wednesday I will AGAIN go in for serologic testing, only this time it's an APPROVED test administered by L.A. County, not a private lab.

I guess if it comes up negative this time, I will be amazed but I will have to accept the accuracy of the results and spend the rest of my life wondering just what the hell I did catch at the end of February.
My first antibody test basically said “failed to seroconvert” which is “negative” but it’s not a hard negative, it just means the test did not detect anything useful.
The good news is, if it turns out I do have CV19 antibodies, I will be donating blood to the Red Cross. They are seeking survivor blood donations to help CV19 patients recover.
And if I am negative, I'll donate blood anyway.

Funny thing is, the last time I ever donated, I fell over like a ton of bricks. Nurses woke me up with a little glass of orange juice and a couple of cookies. I was so embarrassed but they thought it was hilarious and assured me that they get LOTS of big macho guys who faint when they get blood drawn and it's just a physiological issue having nothing to do with any macho bravery or anything.
So okay, as long as they have the little glass of OJ and a couple of cookies, I'll take the chance and maybe this time I won't plotz like a wussy.

And again, I actually do hope I caught and recovered from CV19 because at least KNOWING what I had is better than not knowing if I am at serious risk. I harbor no illusions about any notion of an "immunity passport" and I'll still wear a mask and gloves when out and about, but I will have at least some peace of mind.

If you are in L.A. County and want an antibody test OR a diagnostic test, go HERE. .

It’s FREE to all L.A. County residents.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I used to give blood with some regularity. The last time they got me ready and then left me laying on a table for 4 hours. I finally got up and asked what was going on. A bunch of them taking blood where having a long discussion about football so I asked them how much longer it would take and they said; "we will be with you in a bit".

I got up, left, and have never been back.

G
G
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Hard to surf indoors. But I agree: Stadiums suck, both for sports and for concerts. Lazy Boy seating is vastly superior.

What did I tell you?

Surfing = opportunity to be eaten by sharks.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/surfer-ben-kelly-dies-horrific-225830448.html

Page 56 of 104 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard