WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Jeffery J. Haas - 05/20/24 02:30 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,060 my own book page
5,017,077 We shall overcome
4,196,069 Campaign 2016
3,794,715 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,747 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,789
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 104 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 103 104
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
That's part of the charm: No more macho way to go for a surfer. Drowning or getting smashed on rocks, means you are unskilled. If a shark eats you, then you become one with the sea.

That "failure to seroconvert" only means you did not develop IgG antibodies. You might have had some short term IgM antibodies. I would say no IgG means you need to be careful because you could catch it again, if you did have it. I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat.

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Online Happy
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
I showed up today expecting to get the antibody test, in accordance with my scheduled appointment and they told me that they were not doing antibody tests at that location.
So why did they even give me an appointment?
Anyway, I was given the swab test, the diagnostic one.
Waste of time, unless it turns out I have the mildest symptoms ever recorded, because I feel okay and have felt okay for six weeks now.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
G
G
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
That's part of the charm: No more macho way to go for a surfer. Drowning or getting smashed on rocks, means you are unskilled. If a shark eats you, then you become one with the sea.

Thanks, but no, thanks. I prefer to be one with my wife in our bedroom rather than being one with the sea by being eaten by a shark.

I'm telling you, the outdoors are dangerous.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Waste of time

HealthLabs dot com ran my antibody test, but they sent me to a Quest Diagnostics location to get the blood drawn. The sign on their door said "Closed: Visit one of our other locations".

I went home, looked up other Quest locations, and found one nearby that would do it. I just had to go back on the Health Labs website to get them to send my order to the new location. The new location was actually closer, had no waiting, and the blood draw took about three minutes.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I was beginning to feel more optimistic today, despite our currently crappy weather, because there is some sign that COVID cares are slowingdown.
Then I read this: 13 USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors test positive after recovering from Covid-19 (Politico).
Thirteen sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive again for Covid-19 after recovering from the disease and returning to the ship, which has been stranded in Guam since late March after an outbreak of the virus, according to two U.S. defense officials.
This is so not good. The implications are multifold: 1) 14 days is not long enough for isolation; or, 2) the disease can rebound after recovery; or, 3) the testing protocol is inaccurate/inadequate, or 4) one can be reinfected.
"This week, a small number of TR Sailors who previously tested COVID positive and met rigorous recovery criteria have retested positive," said Navy spokesperson Cmdr. Myers Vasquez. "These protocols resulted in a small number of close contacts who were also removed from the ship, quarantined and tested.
Moreover,
Some of the sailors who returned to the ship showed expanded symptoms, including body aches and headaches, according to one official. This has slowed the move back onto the ship, as all sailors who return must have been symptom-free for three days and have tested negative twice, as well as completed their isolation period.

G
G
This is definitely not good due to them having symptoms again. Scientists need to look at the genome of their original positive results material (hoping it was saved; doubt it was) and the new one.

So far, recurrence of positive results was thought to be due to either faulty tests or people still shedding dead virus particles. But symptoms again? That's a first.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I was beginning to feel more optimistic today, despite our currently crappy weather, because there is some sign that COVID cares are slowingdown.
Then I read this: 13 USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors test positive after recovering from Covid-19 (Politico).
Thirteen sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive again for Covid-19 after recovering from the disease and returning to the ship, which has been stranded in Guam since late March after an outbreak of the virus, according to two U.S. defense officials.
This is so not good. The implications are multifold: 1) 14 days is not long enough for isolation; or, 2) the disease can rebound after recovery; or, 3) the testing protocol is inaccurate/inadequate, or 4) one can be reinfected.
There are two things are going on here:

1. Previously tested negative sailors are now testing positive.
2. Those who had Covid and are back and testing positive.

Let's take one. Who is to say that the sailors who previously tested negative didn't come into contact with someone else off the ship who is positive in-between tests? (A foodworker prepping the food then consumed, etc)

Two: I didn't read in the article that those who recovered got the symptoms again - they simply tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

G
G
Originally Posted by pdx rick
they simply tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system.

Hmm

You seem to be mixing up antigen and antibody tests.

Antigen tests like the PCR indicate acute, current infection.
Antibody tests indicate past infection.
A person who recovered from the disease should have a negative antigen test and a positive antibody test.
--------
I hadn't read the article, just reacted to the posting. Now I did.
It doesn't seem like the people who retested positive after recovery were the same ones who presented with new symptoms.

So, this could be what has been described elsewhere: antigen tests still pick up dead virus materials being eliminated by recovered people. If that's what it is, then it isn't scary.

The article is poorly written and ambiguous. Whoever wrote it doesn't seem to understand the issues either.

--------

This is likely to be a better article on the issue of re-infection, but it's behind a paywall, for me too. If someone here has a subscription to The Wall Street Journal, the person might read it and tell us what it says:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-you-get-covid-19-twice-11589388593

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/17/20 03:14 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
This is definitely not good due to them having symptoms again. Scientists need to look at the genome of their original positive results material (hoping it was saved; doubt it was) and the new one.

So far, recurrence of positive results was thought to be due to either faulty tests or people still shedding dead virus particles. But symptoms again? That's a first.
That is exactly the concern I have - is it reinfection or rebound? Were the tests defective?

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I read a number of articles, but only posted the one that had universal access. I have some subscriptions, but not WSJ. I'll try to link some others and quote as liberally as I can. wink I am a Mod, after all.

Page 57 of 104 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard