WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 58 of 104 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 103 104
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I wonder if some of these sailors are young enough to get the Kawasaki-like Disease some kids are having a few weeks after recovery. We are also seeing fairly young people having mild cases or even asymptomatic cases and then dropping dead a few weeks later from a stroke or throwing an embolism into their lungs.

This (and Kawasaki) are probably all the same thing: Inflammation of the endothelium following an immune system reaction to a virus. Doctors have hypothesized that about Kawasaki for a long time. In fact, the virus could have been one of the similar corona viruses that have circulated as common colds for years. Even if the virus doesn't do that much damage, it's the immune response that kills you.

Maybe docs need to start giving recovered people just a little prednisolone for a couple of weeks to avoid this stuff.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Very interesting thing: Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine and zinc. (Not remdesivir? That's funny.) That can only mean one thing: No doctor is going to give him hydroxychloroquine, unless he's tested positive for SARS-COV2. I though it might be about time for him to test positive, considering the timing of all the White House cases.

I bet everybody at the White House told him to keep it a secret, but he can't help himself when it comes to bragging.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
Originally Posted by pdx rick
they simply tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system.
Hmm

You seem to be mixing up antigen and antibody tests.

Antigen tests like the PCR indicate acute, current infection.
Antibody tests indicate past infection.
A person who recovered from the disease should have a negative antigen test and a positive antibody test.
I was speaking to the positive of an antibody test. I never mentioned antigen tests at all: "...tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system...."

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

G
G
they simply tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system.
Hmm

A person who recovered from the disease should have a negative antigen test and a positive antibody test.
I was speaking to the positive of an antibody test. I never mentioned antigen tests at all: "...tested positive which they will due to having the antibodies in their immune system...."

smile

But testing positive for antibodies for a recovered person is not at all a reason for concern, much the opposite, and has nothing to do with the spirit of this article which seems to indicated that some sailors who had previously recovered and tested negative for antigens, retested positive for antigens.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
There continues to be these claims of re-infections but they are very few and far between. One can only suspect that one of the tests are flawed rather than the re-infections as they are so few. Just a guess but it seems to make sense to me - may also be just plain wishful thinking at which I am an expert.

veteran
veteran
If ... and that is a big bold capital if ... he is taking hydroxychloroquine, he talked his doctor into giving it to him as a prophylactic. So it begs the question ... what credentials does Cmd Conley have? Assuredly he is incompetent or corrupt.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I feel like that's the case with most viruses. Also I don't much care from a personal standpoint. My goal is to not catch it the first time.

If I should survive the first episode I'll have a look at those odds...

I'm hoping that THC and Caffeine in moderate doses will prevent the virus from thriving within my system, and burning sage and sweetgrass will expel any malevolent intruders from the spiritual realm.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Hmm

smile

But testing positive for antibodies for a recovered person is not at all a reason for concern...
Exactly my point.

re: Testing positive for antigens a second time. I couldn't find in the article that those testing positive for antigens a second time showed symptoms.

PNW was concerned that one could be reinfected and that seems not to be the case. Correct? Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

G
G
Exactly my point.

re: Testing positive for antigens a second time. I couldn't find in the article that those testing positive for antigens a second time showed symptoms.

PNW was concerned that one could be reinfected and that seems not to be the case. Correct? Hmm

Yes, I already said the article seems poorly written and the article's author seems to misunderstand the issues. When you read the article it doesn't seem like he is talking about the same people. Some sailors caught it for the first time and showed symptoms. Some other sailors recovered and turned positive (for antigens, I assume) a second time (likely a testing issue rather than true re-infection).

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I have always been amazed at how we, as a nation, has dealt with Covid-19 It seemed so simple! There would be two tests. The first to tell if you had it or able to pass it. The second tells whether you have had it and have the anti-bodies to prove it. If you were infected go home and hole up, if you are sick get to a hospital. If you didn't have it then get tested every week. In all cases wear a face mask.

Then EVERYBODY gets tested. Since these test were modern and give virtually immediate results everybody would know whether they have had it and were safe or they either had it or didn't have it. Each would be treated differently. The first has been covered. The Second means you are really unlikely to be infected again and you have the antibody to prove it. You can now do whatever you want. You can no longer pass it on (give it to somebody else) and you can't get it again. So you can goto work, goto a bar for a drink, whatever.

What we did was, first, make sure nobody could get any tests. If any tests were available they might, or might not, work. In all tests there is a little problem - takes anywhere from a week to months to get the results of your test (at which point you will need another, especially if its the one to tell if you are infected (I think the second, blood dependent test will tell you that too). In any case make sure that there is ALWAYS a shortage of tests so that all the rest will not work, thereby destroying any real capacity to deal with Covid-19 with any degree of competence and efficiency. This is, pretty much, where we are now at.

It may be of passing interest that our county health department has reserved our movie theater parking lot to setup public testing. The only problem is that our county health department doesn't have any tests to test with. All tests reside at the hospital so that anybody that needs a test gets one. Them that just want to know their status, whether they have been infected and have antibodies, and whether they can goto work and get on with their lives, cannot get tested for that as that is reserved for the ill (I think).

My county now has 21 cases, 19 of which survived. I think we have 3 new ones in the last couple of weeks and they were all infected outside the county.

Oh, on the interesting side the governor sends me a series of emails, every day. It tells me what they have done, what they might do, and various figures, lists, and graphs. In addition, for no reason I know, I also get a list of state healthcare workers who have lost their licenses for usually drugs, sometimes sex (sometimes VERY strange), failure to have a license, or losing same). There is also always information as to how to tell him your thoughts (which I always thought was a little dangerous and odd)

Anyway............

Page 58 of 104 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard