WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 123 of 212 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 211 212
G
G
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
Future History book entry on Bernie Sanders

If that book was written by Rush Limbaugh, maybe.
Really, that's a lotta hyperbole.
And the thing you seem to be leaving out in your rather bitter sendup is the fact, the indisputable fact, that Sanders was perhaps the only really REALLY honest candidate to come down the pike in decades.

Sorry GNT but I count his mistakes mostly as branding, packaging, presentation and an inability to make a somewhat bigger tent.
Of course, that latter was due to his self-inflicted branding problems.

But deep down, like him or despise him, Sanders is pretty much real, sincere, and honest.
And that counts for a lot.

Yeah, he is honest. Have I said otherwise? The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

I see him as honest but hopelessly naive and misguided, and I think he did enormous harm to America, by damaging the only viable candidate that could have stopped Trump. I won't ever forgive him for it.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I see him as honest but hopelessly naive and misguided, and I think he did enormous harm to America, by damaging the only viable candidate that could have stopped Trump. I won't ever forgive him for it.

Now I see why you're so pissed at Sanders.
I honestly think Hillz is the reason we got Trump.
She may be an excellent policy wonk but as candidates go, she was horrible, and not just in 2016, she was horrible the first time she tried in 2008.

She's just a terrible candidate, unlikable...even though I even think she could have done a decent job. But people have to like candidates to vote for them, and a lot of people simply refused to vote, or vote for her.

A pocket of Bros refused, too...but a majority of Bernie people did vote for her under protest...just not enough of them.

I don't blame Sanders for us getting Trump.
I blame Democrats for not voting, or for not voting because they thought we had it in the bag, or not voting because they didn't like Hillz (I even voted for her despite not liking her much) or for voting for Trump out of spite.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by logtroll
Geez, GNT, your emotional and irrational spleen against Bernie really thins your credibility as an objective critic.

Is "spleen" referring to the post or to the poster?
Boy howdy folks, be nice to each other.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
"your emotional and irrational"...

I agree, you're emotional and irrational. I'm okay with that. I expect it from Democrats. But once you take a hard right turn like that, I just lump you with the republicans. It's not an attack on you, it's it's an ideological divide that can't be breached.

Come on guys, what is this?
Can we all just...try to get along?

[Linked Image from negromanosphere.com]

deepfreezefilms.com
G
G
Originally Posted by Greger
"your emotional and irrational"...

I agree, you're emotional and irrational. I'm okay with that. I expect it from Democrats. But once you take a hard right turn like that, I just lump you with the republicans. It's not an attack on you, it's it's an ideological divide that can't be breached.

Great, the personal attacks continue. Do notice that I've NEVER issued one.

And by the way, I'm not a Democrat. I'm an Independent, and I actually voted for Sanders in my state's primaries, believe it or not, although I profoundly dislike him (at the time I thought he was best positioned to beat Trump so I pinched my nose and voted for him; later I saw that my evaluation at the time was a mistake).

It's not an attack on you

Yeah, right, it's not an attack on me when you say that I'm irrational and emotional... right.

Tell that to all the women who show a little pizzazz and assertiveness and are called emotional and irrational... it's one of the oldest forms of personal attacks. Who do you think you are fooling???

And me, lumped with Republicans??? You clearly don't know me.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/25/20 01:59 AM.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
enthusiast
enthusiast

She may be an excellent policy wonk but as candidates go, she was horrible, and not just in 2016, she was horrible the first time she tried in 2008.

She's just a terrible candidate, unlikable...even though I even think she could have done a decent job. But people have to like candidates to vote for them, and a lot of people simply refused to vote, or vote for her.

A pocket of Bros refused, too...but a majority of Bernie people did vote for her under protest...just not enough of them.

I blame Democrats for not voting, or for not voting because they thought we had it in the bag, or not voting because they didn't like Hillz (I even voted for her despite not liking her much) or for voting for Trump out of spite.
The numbers back you up. Hillary won the Democratic base vote 89-8 over Trump, but Sanders supporters did back Hillary, but by a 75-12 margin over Trump with 13% voting third party. Against both Trump and Clinton. Who knows how many stayed home, no exit poll will ever show you that.

Also in Nov 2016 the Democrats had a 6 point edge in party affiliation, but only a 3 point advantage in those who went to the polls and voted. Besides being lazy during the campaign season, letting Trump both out work her and out campaign her, she did have a very inept campaign strategy and was very unattractive to the independent, non-affiliated voter. 70% of all independents had a negative view of Hillary vs. 57% negative for Trump. Hence you had 12% of independents, swing voters vote against both major party candidates while the rest went for Trump.

As an aside, I believe if Sanders instead of Hillary was the nominee back in 2016, he would have won. No way to prove that, but just a gut feeling. Sanders was energetic, Hillary was Ho hum, Sanders also had much more charisma than Hillary who I viewed as a wet mop on the campaign trail, her and her fake smile is about all I remember of her campaign.

She might have indeed made a good president, but first you must win the general election. I always thought McCain would have been an excellent president, Bob Dole also. But like Hillary, both lacked that key ingredient, charisma and charm. Dole up against Mr. charisma Bill Clinton and McCain up against Mr. Charisma Jr. Both lost the independent vote and the election.

Usually, whoever wins independents, the swing voters wins the election. Off the top of my head, going back to Eisenhower, I can remember only one election where a candidate lost the independent vote and still won the election. 1976, Carter over Ford. That was a very close election. Ford won the independent vote, but democrats outnumbered Republicans back then by 15 points. 43-28 among those who actually voted. Independents made up but 23% of the electorate back then. Not the 40% they make up today.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
G
G

I don't dispute that Hillary was the main reason for Trump. I voted for Obama against her in the 2008 primaries, and never particularly liked her.

But I've explained this over and over elsewhere: given the razor-thin margin of Trump's victory, ANY one of the multiple factors that miraculously aligned for him in 2016 would have resulted in his loss and Hillary's victory.

Hillary's incompetence as a campaigner... her multiple unforced errors (I could go on and on about those and list them; not worth doing it now), Comey's letter, Hillary's idiotic campaign manager, Vladimir Putin, sexism, xenophobia, white supremacists, blue collar worker disillusionment, the DNC, and so on and so forth.

But given that any ONE factor would have defeated Trump, yes, Bernie's campaign and Bernie or Bust idiots ALSO played an essential role, sine qua non.

My analogy is the one with people indicted for conspiracy to commit murder, all of them doing it for the same common goal.

One buys the gun. The second one buys the ammunition. The third one contacts and hires the hit man. The fourth one pays the hit man. The fifth one takes the gun and the ammunition to the hit man. The sixth one woos the victim into a back alley. Then the seventh one, the hit man, pulls the trigger and kills the victim.

All seven are guilty. Sure, the hit man who pulled the trigger is guiltier (that's Hillary Clinton in this analogy, the one must responsible for her own loss).

BUT EVERY ONE OF THE OTHER SIX ARE STILL CHARGED WITH CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MURDER AND THEY DON'T GET A PASS BECAUSE THE HIT MAN WAS MORE GUILTY.

Every single one of them, the murder wouldn't have happened without their part of the action.

So, Bernie or Bust types were just as responsible for Trump's win as any of the other multiple factors except for Hillary's incompetence.

Hillary is the guiltiest one. All the others are also guilty. So, yes, Bernie or Bust types did put Trump in office, and I can't forgive them for it (just lie I can't forgive Comey, Vladimir Putin, Hillary herself, etc).

ALL of them are guilty of the president we have today.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/25/20 01:39 AM.

G
G
Geez, GNT, your emotional and irrational spleen against Bernie really thins your credibility as an objective critic.

Well, you know, Greger did clarify it. It's referring to the poster.

Greger: "I agree, you're emotional and irrational."

What he said to me:

YOU. ARE. EMOTIONAL. AND. IRRATIONAL.

If this isn't a personal attack, I don't know what else is.

I must say, I'm disappointed. I thought this place was different.

G
G
Originally Posted by perotista

The numbers back you up. Hillary won the Democratic base vote 89-8 over Trump, but Sanders supporters did back Hillary, but by a 75-12 margin over Trump with 13% voting third party. Against both Trump and Clinton. Who knows how many stayed home, no exit poll will ever show you that.

Also in Nov 2016 the Democrats had a 6 point edge in party affiliation, but only a 3 point advantage in those who went to the polls and voted. Besides being lazy during the campaign season, letting Trump both out work her and out campaign her, she did have a very inept campaign strategy and was very unattractive to the independent, non-affiliated voter. 70% of all independents had a negative view of Hillary vs. 57% negative for Trump. Hence you had 12% of independents, swing voters vote against both major party candidates while the rest went for Trump.

As an aside, I believe if Sanders instead of Hillary was the nominee back in 2016, he would have won. No way to prove that, but just a gut feeling. Sanders was energetic, Hillary was Ho hum, Sanders also had much more charisma than Hillary who I viewed as a wet mop on the campaign trail, her and her fake smile is about all I remember of her campaign.

She might have indeed made a good president, but first you must win the general election. I always thought McCain would have been an excellent president, Bob Dole also. But like Hillary, both lacked that key ingredient, charisma and charm. Dole up against Mr. charisma Bill Clinton and McCain up against Mr. Charisma Jr. Both lost the independent vote and the election.

Usually, whoever wins independents, the swing voters wins the election. Off the top of my head, going back to Eisenhower, I can remember only one election where a candidate lost the independent vote and still won the election. 1976, Carter over Ford. That was a very close election. Ford won the independent vote, but democrats outnumbered Republicans back then by 15 points. 43-28 among those who actually voted. Independents made up but 23% of the electorate back then. Not the 40% they make up today.

No, the numbers support MY position. I couldn't care less about what Hillary fans did in 2008. I wasn't one of them. I voted for Obama. What they did was of no consequence, since Obama won anyway.

But from your own numbers (and I assume they came from the famous Newsweek article, as they match what is there), 12% + 13% = 25%, WAY more, way way way way more than the razor-thin margin by which Trump won the three essential states that gave him his Electoral College victory.

Yep, the Bernie or Bust folks elected Donald Trump. It's as simple as that.

And Comey. And Putin. And Hillary herself, etc.

But without those 25% of defecting Bernie or Bust misguided voters (who shot themselves in the foot by allowing lifetime 2 SCOTUS justices and 250 federal judges be nominated by Trump, which will doom all progressive ideals for a generation), Trump wouldn't be president today.

Last edited by GreatNewsTonight; 05/25/20 01:35 AM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Well, you know, Greger did clarify it. It's referring to the poster.

Greger: "I agree, you're emotional and irrational."

What he said to me:

YOU. ARE. EMOTIONAL. AND. IRRATIONAL.

If this isn't a personal attack, I don't know what else is.

I must say, I'm disappointed. I thought this place was different.

It is different, but it's not perfect.

"Nothing's clean Howard, but we do our best."

deepfreezefilms.com
Page 123 of 212 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard