WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 125 of 212 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 211 212
G
G
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by GreatNewsTonight
Originally Posted by perotista
Originally Posted by logtroll
Just got back... guess I touched a nerve.

I’m not that sensitive, so I don’t have any comment about any personal attack. But calling Sanders a loser over and over because he didn’t sponsor any major legislation didn’t look rational to me. It’s just my opinion, and I linked an article to support my view.

It wasn’t a personal attack, it was an observation. After reading my link, do you still hold the opinion that Sanders is an empty footnote in history?

Now that's interesting. Footnote in history. Possible. Is Goldwater a footnote in history? He was the one who started the conservative movement by being blown out in the 1964 presidential election. His movement didn't take hold until 1980 with the election of Reagan. But his movement, I'll call it traditional conservatism has morphed into something completely different, a different type/s of conservatism Goldwater wouldn't recognize. Once known as the father of Conservatism, most modern day conservatives call him a libertarian because his brand wasn't neo or religious conservatism. Barry wanted to get those religious nuts out of the Republican Party.

Sanders, footnote, perhaps? That depends on how his ideas catch on with the American public, all of the public and not just a faction within the Democratic Party. He could be looked back on as the father of a new progressive movement. Or relegated to just a footnote when talking about Democratic Primaries. The one who lost to Hillary and then lost to Biden. Some primary losers are remembered and become more than just a footnote. Reagan challenged Ford in 1976, he lost to Ford and Ford lost to Carter. Many historians put the blame for Ford's loss on Reagan's challenge. But Ronnie won the presidency in 1980, so that's what he is remembered for.

Teddy Kennedy is also well documented in 1980 for challenging Carter. Again, historians always list Teddy's challenge of Jimmy as one of the reason Jimmy lost in 1980. But Ted Kennedy's fame is being JFK's and RFK's brother. Much more than his challenge to Carter.

Sanders, a footnote to history is possible, maybe even probable. It all depends whether a young fresh faced progressive picks up his ideas and runs with them and wins. Time will tell.

The father of a new progressive movement? I pity the "new progressive movement" if its father is the ineffective loser known as Bernie Sanders. I guess he is better than AOC (not so hard to be better than that one). If she's the heir, God help us.
Hey now, I happen to love AOC. She raw, but she's sharp, and really represents her generation, in my humble opinion. I'm judging that on my sons' views, which are seriously left of mine, and I'm a radical, yanno.

Sharp? I certainly disagree. The interviews I watched with her, she struck me as rather unintelligent. As in, the interviewer throws her a curve ball, she responds in a way that weakens even more her position instead of fortifying it. She doesn't seem to be fast-thinking. Rather stereotypical; not to forget, quite arrogant. Maybe once she becomes more experienced, she will improve, but I don't hold my breath.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
L
veteran
veteran
L
AOC is sharp as a tack. Very intelligent.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
G
G
Regarding the latest exchanges in this thead:

Whatever.

Good bye, everybody.

Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hitsfan

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay...Looking ahead, here's an interesting article about who benefits with vote by mail. Very interesting.

"Which Party Would Benefit Most From Voting by Mail? It's Complicated."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/party-benefit-most-voting-mail-121301144.html

It seems conventional wisdom about voting by mail may or may not apply.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm thinking it's a ploy! Trump voted by mail yet wants to stop others from being able to conveniently vote. It is my belief that he plans to use mail in voting to declare the election null and void while at the same time declaring himself the victor.

I know, sounds crazy, right? Just one of many dirty tricks this administration concentrates on rather than actually governing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You got me thinking which can be dangerous. Can Trump cancel the election, no he can't. But there are so many variables. One thing is for sure, Trump's presidency will end at noon on 20 Jan 2021 unless reelected. Now if you're into some heaving reading, the below article explains many situations that delaying or canceling the election could cause and who might or could become president.

"Can Trump cancel the November election?"

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus

Last edited by perotista; 05/26/20 12:17 AM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by logtroll
AOC is sharp as a tack. Very intelligent.
I agree. AOC is very intelligent. Some men can't handle that. I cite AOC's 60 Minutes interview. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
I'm thinking it's a ploy! Trump voted by mail yet wants to stop others from being able to conveniently vote. It is my belief that he plans to use mail in voting to declare the election null and void while at the same time declaring himself the victor.

I know, sounds crazy, right? Just one of many dirty tricks this administration concentrates on rather than actually governing.
Trump voted by mail illegally. He's not a resident of Florida, nor can he ever live at Mara-Largo per this 1993 Agreement between the town of Palm Beach, FL and Donald Trump.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WOW! Far as I know Trump has moved his residency to Florida from New York. He's a snowbird so it's no biggie most of 'em do it eventually.

Trump has used the absentee voting system in at least three elections: Trump voted by mail during New York’s mayoral election in 2017, cast an absentee ballot during the state’s midterm election the following year, and again used a vote-by-mail ballot in Florida’s primary election in 2020. (Snopes)

But I'm not sure I buy the bit about voting in Florida's primary...
Did we have a Republican primary? He can't vote in the Democratic one and the one for candidates other than president isn't until August.

Page 125 of 212 1 2 123 124 125 126 127 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard