WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 128 of 212 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 211 212
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Only if the "white voter" supports police brutality against black Americans. Righties had grand mal conniptions about Colin taking a knee. Not such a bad idea now, huh Righties?

smile

White voters support police brutality against blacks. They have always supported all types of brutality against blacks. From the Founders to this current administration.

This election is not just a moratorium on Trump, he made it about racism from the very beginning. The Nazis and white supremacists have flocked to him since he came down that escalator. A few of them felt bad after watching that video but fortunately the blacks misbehaved as we all knew they would! Starting fires and looting just like they always do. Proving that white voters were right all along...

They'll vote for Trump, but it won't be enough.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Right, wrong or indifferent, history shows whenever you have riots and looting as we have going on now, it always benefits the law and order candidates. The original cause is lost, only the images of the riots remain.

Viewing this through historical stand points is why I posted the white voter percentages for Trump as of the end of last week. It's too early for any meaningful numbers today. The meaningful numbers usually come a week to two weeks after any event. Overnight polls in my opinion are meaningless.

If we go by history in this, Trump will get a good bump up in the polls and an increase in white voters above his current 49% he has today. But it will be short lived. Within a month, perhaps two months after the riots cease and peace is restored, that bump will dissipate to go back to where things stood prior to the event, happening, riots in this case.

It's the riots most folks will remember, not the death of George Floyd. That is just the way it is. The original cause of the protest has been lost, dead and buried, only the riots and looting remain in most folks minds.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
Right, wrong or indifferent, history shows whenever you have riots and looting as we have going on now, it always benefits the law and order candidates.
Law and Order Presidents don't accept help from Russia to win elections. Law and Order Presidents don't ignore subpoenas.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by perotista
Right, wrong or indifferent, history shows whenever you have riots and looting as we have going on now, it always benefits the law and order candidates.
Law and Order Presidents don't accept help from Russia to win elections. Law and Order Presidents don't ignore subpoenas.

smile
You're ignoring the historical perspective that I placed my post in. One thing one needs to realize is politics, candidates, is all about perspectives. Personal perspectives. History shows that such things as riots and looting for whatever cause, that benefits law and order candidates.

Most don't follow through. Rhetoric is enough. You don't like rioting and looting in your city, vote for me. I'll bring law and order to the streets.

Or it could be, vote for me, my opponent supports the looters. Something akin to that which, mark my word, will garner some support. That has always worked to a degree in the past, I don't see it failing this time.

To place all of this into the proper context, one must look at it as America as a whole, all Americans and not just from one political view point which could be just a small faction of America or a large one.

with the rioting going one, sure, Trump can portray himself as a law and order president through rhetoric only. He doesn't have to do a thing. For those who want the looting and rioting stopped, what he says could be enough to convince them that he is their man.

But this rioting probably has taken place too far out from the election to have any lasting effect. It's seems to me every political pundit out there classifies any event, happening as a game changer. 90% of the time, it isn't. sure the numbers go up during and right after the event, but 2 weeks, a month later, they all return to where they were prior to the so called game changing event even happening.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
It's good to see you, as well, my friend.

Just a Missouri school teacher ... stubborn as a mule and addicted to logic.
Hey, Rick. Good to see you.

Originally posted by Greger

White voters support police brutality against blacks. They have always supported all types of brutality against blacks. From the Founders to this current administration.

This election is not just a moratorium on Trump, he made it about racism from the very beginning.

I agree. As I watch the coverage of the protesters, the looters, and the arsonists, I hope that people keep those three separate in their minds.

What scares me is that Trump can use the "riots" to showcase his racism, to the delight of his base. He's vilifying ANTIFA, but utters not a word about white supremacists and their ilk. The policing is at times horrendous and some of the National Guardsmen came on way too strong. It's jarring to see our troops used aggressively and seemingly indiscriminately against Americans.

Surely we can't normalize this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is said that for every action, there is a reaction. What that reaction will be is based on the perceptions of each individual what the original action was that deemed the need for a reaction.

I think the initial reaction to the death of George Floyd by the kneeling cop was for most, that's horrible. The reaction for blacks in Minneapolis was a protest which eventually spread across the nation. The protest resulted into violence, arson, looting, riots. Now the original death is long forgotten by most, fixated with the images of the latest action, the riots, the looting, the arson.

We had an action replaced by a reaction, replaced by another reaction and then another reaction. It is the last images that is retain in most folks minds. Not the first action. I think the feeling of it's horrible when referring to the death of George Floyd has now been replaced, almost completely by these riots are horrible. That is outside of a few, a small segment of our population.

Will Trump benefit from the riots? Certainly he will. I believe that benefit will be short lived, but he will improve in the polls. For most people, it won't be the death of Mr. Floyd that will be remembered, it will be the riots, the looting, the arson.

It's like the kneeling of Colin Kaepernick, most don't remember the reasons why he knelt, only the fracas about kneeling during the national anthem. Even I couldn't remember what it was Kaepernick was protesting by kneeling until I googled it. But I do remember the uproar about the kneeling during the national anthem. I would wager once all the dust settles on the present rioting, it will be the rioting that is remembered by most, the cause long forgotten.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
George Will has an interesting take on the election:

In life’s unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation’s domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world’s most risible deliberative body.

A political party’s primary function is to bestow its imprimatur on candidates, thereby proclaiming: This is who we are. In 2016, the Republican Party gave its principal nomination to a vulgarian and then toiled to elect him. And to stock Congress with invertebrates whose unswerving abjectness has enabled his institutional vandalism, who have voiced no serious objections to his Niagara of lies, and whom T.S. Eliot anticipated:

We are the hollow men.
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
or rats’ feet over broken glass ...

from George Will in The Washington Post

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
enthusiast
enthusiast
"Trump Pulls Republican National Convention From North Carolina"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-pulls-republican-national-convention-013520868.html

Trump vs. Biden and North Carolina's senate between Thom Tillis and Cal Cunningham are pure tossup's. 50-50 odds on both the presidential and senate races. Although pulling the convention by no means dooms the two Republicans, it certainly doesn't help. What it might do is dampen some Republican support. A bit less energy and enthusiasm from what might and probably would have been.

Page 128 of 212 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard