WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Jeffery J. Haas - 05/20/24 02:30 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,060 my own book page
5,017,077 We shall overcome
4,196,069 Campaign 2016
3,794,715 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,747 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,789
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 62 of 104 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 103 104
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We see a preview of what reopening schools is going to be like:
Summer Camp Closes With 82 Infections

Kanakuk Ministries closed its K-2 camp for 13 to 18-year-olds last week after the outbreak was discovered, Stone County Health Department announced on Facebook Monday.

Many of the people who tested positive for COVID-19 did so after leaving the camp and returning home, health officials said.

The problem with things like camps and schools, is that you are trusting all the other parents to isolate their kids with your same vigilance. But some of those parents simply don't. The camp organizers required everybody to self-isolate for two weeks before sending their kids to camp. How naive can you be?

journeyman
journeyman
Well, yeah. You are expected to send your kids to school alongside the children of people who think the virus is a hoax.

Because Donald Trump believes that if he yells at people long enough, and forces them to ignore the virus, the virus will go away.

What can we do to help you stop screaming?
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Trump doomed red state reopenings — and now he plans to doom schools nationwide.

Fatass Trump and Milquetoast Mike did nothing to protect your children from being killed at school by gunfire, so do you really think they are going to do anything to protect your child from being killed at school by a virus?

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Probably only a few children will die. A drop in the bucket as long as you keep the poors pumping out babies.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
"poors pumping out babies" WOW! You are, obviously, working incredibly hard to get reactions. This one is just plain offensive. The poor actually do produce more babies than the well to do. This has been known for a very long time. They must do this to survive in old age as they cannot afford to even eat without the support of their children. In America this also means, in most cases that they also get lousy healthcare as well. For the poor breeding is the only safety net they have in the end.

There are countries who have overcome this kind of thing - the United States is not one of them. We may be halfway there and history will tell.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The thing that will actually matter is the few children that die who were photogenic and well-documented before their deaths. Celebrity status would help, but simply being a cute, well-mannered, White Christian child, will do. Headlines are "Trump Murdered My Child".

And no: I'm not a racist. I mourn all the lives lost. I am just predicting the tabloid headlines that get schools shutdown. America goes nuts over one cute child killed in some gruesome manner and ignores all the kids who die from easily preventable accidents or childhood illnesses. Not to mention all the kids in the rest of the world who die or are permanently damaged for lack of a tiny bit of prevention.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"poors pumping out babies" WOW! You are, obviously, working incredibly hard to get reactions.
No, it was no work at all and I don't care if anyone reacts or not.

Maybe you haven't heard about the various bans on abortions or the recent SCOTUS ruling that Christians don't need to provide birth control as part of their employees health care packages? Those things fall on the poor y'know. It will be the poor schools where the outbreaks start and the deaths occur. It will be the children who would otherwise have been aborted.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
>poor schools

I don't know that rich schools or private schools are any better at maintaining isolation among their students than poor schools. Students with darker skin may not do as well because they don't make much Vitamin D. Easy to fix that: Just give them all Vitamin D every day.

As for the whole Christian employer birth control hoohaw, it's all a pile of crap: Insurance companies WANT their insured to have birth control. Birth control costs them a lot less than pregnancy and 1000s of times less than a problem pregnancy and infant ICU stays. That's why they were willing to supply it for free directly to their insured if Christian employers just signed a form telling they did not want to pay for it. Problem is the cost they had to pay was $0.00. So in spite of these rulings, the insurance companies will just have the insured themselves sign the form! Little Sisters of the Poor and Hobby Lobby can go pound sand. Insurance companies are all about maximising their profits, and fewer pregnancies = higher profits.

Now if these organizations wanted to subsidize unwanted pregnancies, I suppose they could get some insurance company to offer a policy that costs them extra money just so their employees don't get free birth control. But organizations tend to shop around quite a bit for the cheapest policies they can find.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
First, what we are talking about is our failed system of healthcare. If you google "who has the best healthcare" there are lists and we are not even close to the top. We live, basically, in a vacuum of our own making. The only excuse is that we continue to elect those that would govern and then - they don't. What we really need is some way to educate our voting public so they have some grasp of what the hell is going on. I think, incidentally, that this is pure wishful thinking and little else. I suspect there may actually be support for that but its just not gonna happen.

We now have (sharing this with Brazil) the worst mess in the world for Covid-19 and its just getting worse. I have watched the Republican Governors (not all but most) claim that what they are doing is based on science. Not true, what they are doing is wishful thinking promulgated by their Lord and Master President Trump. From what I can tell even the most dedicated of Trumpies is starting to get it. They are failing, people are dying, they are running low on supplies and their health front lines are starting to collapse due to exhaustion. The only real question, I suspect, is "Just how bad can it get?" I haven't heard any speculation on that one but its coming.

My hope is that Biden will do as he suggested and find the very best people to start going to work on fixing the nation and one of the top problems is our healthcare. If the Dems win it all we stand a chance at real change based on fact and science, if not ..... I, for instance, heard a woman who is a professor at Harvard talk about how to fix the Covid-19 problem. What she wants to do makes a lot of sense and she could probably do it. We don't lack for minds to do the job but we do seem to lack the will to get it done. Hopefully, before we completely explode or collapse, somebody will gather these people together and save us all.

I, as usual, wish us all good luck..............

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I suppose they could get some insurance company to offer a policy that costs them extra money just so their employees don't get free birth control.
That's exactly what Hobby Lobby did. Then they don't pay enough for employees to buy their own birth control and the employees have quiverful families just as God has Ordained.

You simply can't use reason or logic with these folks, they're Christians.

And I beg to differ about private schools which have private funding as well as federal funding, smaller enrollments, larger classrooms, and parents with health insurance and jobs. They'll nail the distancing and hygiene and have far fewer cases and deaths than the schools where poors are sent.

Page 62 of 104 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard