WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/20/24 03:38 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,072 my own book page
5,017,078 We shall overcome
4,196,071 Campaign 2016
3,794,717 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,749 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,790
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 65 of 104 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 103 104
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Its even worse than that. This morning they were interviewing city and county medical administrators. Their lives were actually being threatened. Some had quit and others were sticking with it but they were very unhappy. Their homes were also being threatened and staked out. This, apparently, was about their "freedom" to kill their neighbors because its in the constitution.

If nothing else its a great example of the 'magic' of Trump. I saw him in a meeting with his virus group. The only people wearing masks were the doctors - nobody else.

I find this all very strange. If, for instance, everybody had gotten on board when this thing started, paid attention, masked up, etc. our businesses would be up and running, as would our schools. Instead we have these freedom loons that are contributing to the ongoing virus threats and its actually getting worse! New York, that did it right, is now watching its borders for the infected getting in and starting it all over.

Seems we are people with a serious number of sel absorbed loons. OH, the masking thing was ruled on, a long time ago. The law says that masks can be enforced! Goes something like; "You don't have the right to put the lives of your neighbors at risk".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"You're not my real mom and you can't tell me what to do!" said every Karen everywhere.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Here are a couple of links to MedCram Youtube videos about a way to improve our public health management of the pandemic. They are specifically about the $1 paper strip saliva tests we could give everybody every day. They are not super sensitive, but they can tell you if you are shedding enough virus to be contagious.

MedCram 98

Interview with Dr Mina

He introduces a concept that might be new to you, which is CT. This is a log number of how much virus you are shedding. When people are at maximum contagion, they shed trillions of times as many viruses as when they are getting better. A CT of 10 would be very dangerous. A CT of 40, not at all. PCR and other high-sensitivity tests will say you are positive down at 40, when there is no chance you could give it to anybody else.

The $1 spit test anybody could run each morning at home detects CTs down to about 30. You are probably not contagious if over 20. So parents could test their kids and decide if they can go to school on a daily basis. If they are CT 31 and getting sick, they would catch it the next day before they have a chance to give it to anybody else.

The PCR tests we are running right now do yield CT numbers, but labs are not allowed to report them! And the average CT for all tests is 37. So this is the tail end of the infection when people are not contagious and quarantine for no reason. We test so little and so late, that it's almost useless. And Dr. Mina thinks it is crazy they can't report the CT number. Because you could see if people were going up or down by repeating the test in a couple of days.

It also eliminates contact tracing, which is next to useless because of all the untested and asymptomatic people, since everybody would just test every morning and self-quarantine if infectious.

This test would be the missing key to opening up the schools again.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
And old folks often have very poor diets. That may be why a simple cold can put them in the grave. Interesting thing: Back in the height of the industrial revolution, when many inner-city kids were getting rickets for lack of sunshine, doctors found they did not die from broken bones. They died from pneumonia.

There is a strong correlation between good diet and health. That connection may include getting enough zinc and getting enough quercetin from vegetables for the zinc to get into your cells.
Vitamin C increase iron absorption. So cooking spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes in a cast iron skillet is an ideal practice. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
The problem, I suspect, is that there is nothing in it for the administration. They rarely support without that little bit. Hopefully others will run with it.

I think I heard that governors are trying to put together something to start a nationwide solution instead of what is going on right now and simply bypass the white house.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
And old folks often have very poor diets. That may be why a simple cold can put them in the grave. Interesting thing: Back in the height of the industrial revolution, when many inner-city kids were getting rickets for lack of sunshine, doctors found they did not die from broken bones. They died from pneumonia.

There is a strong correlation between good diet and health. That connection may include getting enough zinc and getting enough quercetin from vegetables for the zinc to get into your cells.
Vitamin C increase iron absorption. So cooking spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes in a cast iron skillet is an ideal practice. smile

Old folks who cook spagetti sauce from scratch probably don't have bad diets. Add some meatballs to it and you don't have to mess up the seasoning on your cast iron cookware with acidic foods. Add some onion and it's loaded with quercetin. Iron is readily available. Zinc is easy to get. Quercetin is in everything except meat.

But the more processed the food is the less nutritious it is. Most of the food in grocery stores today are heavily processed and that's what most of America is eating. About the same as the gruel fed to those child laborers with rickets.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've really been enjoying a lot of pizza made from scratch lately. All my ingredients can either sit in quarantine for a few days, or be washed with detergent and hot water before going in the fridge. Fresh dough from the bread machine, bottled pasta sauce, pepperoni from Amazon, onions, and mozzarella.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Speaking of pizza (not as good as yours), we have begun making pellets from local woody biomass to be used as feedstock for the pyrolyzer/boilers, and using a Charbecue to test out their energy content. The test consists of "burning" a cylinder load of different pellet formulations at set primary and secondary air settings while cooking a frozen pizza for lunch. We monitor the kettle barbecue temperature and the duration of the burn to assess the energy content of the pellets. Also tracked are bulk density and moisture content.

You are certainly welcome to participate, if you bring some pizzas...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Always good to do real Science, while looking after staff culinary needs. When my wife worked at the County Vets office, chicken farmers would bring in 20 or so birds for herd health checks every month. If they passed (which they always did) the techs had a barbeque out back.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
2nd High School Closed in Georgia

Exactly as I predicted: When they do find cases, those people have been in contact with so many others, they have to quarantine so many students and staff it isn't work keeping the school open. They are out for two weeks, then they all come back. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum. It would not be nearly as bad if they made everybody wear masks. Also it looks like people wearing masks who do get it, have milder cases because they inhale less virus.

In-person school is not going to work until everybody does those $1 tests every morning. But the big news will be the Sturgis mass extinction event coming to fruition in about three weeks. The good news, is you should be able to get a very good deal on a motorcycle from their executors or heirs.

Page 65 of 104 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard