WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 156 of 212 1 2 154 155 156 157 158 211 212
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
AOC is not a Progressive?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all

97 seconds. Colin Powell got more time. John Kasich got more time.
Bill Clinton got more time.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Okay, I'll bite, what is she?

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Greger

97 seconds. Colin Powell got more time. John Kasich got more time.
Bill Clinton got more time.
And I like all three of them. I rate Bill Clinton as the 3rd or 4th best president in my lifetime. Right behind IKE and JFK. Colin Powell, he was my CG at FORSCOM. I'd go to the moon and back for him. Kasich, in 2016 I started out supporting Jim Webb, when he didn't campaign, probably because the fix was in, I switch to Kasich. I would have voted for him. He has a head on his shoulder. I think he provides more of an American agenda than an agenda for either party. I ended up voting against both Trump and Hillary.

AOC,I'm very leery of her. I'd probably never vote for her. Not even against Trump. I have no qualms voting third party when I dislike both major party candidates. I have done so 5 times since 1968 when one had to be 21 to vote.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Democrats are aiming at your demographic, Pero, reckon you can swing the election for them without the left or the youth vote?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let me put it this way, I've been left scratching my head in many elections due to the fact both parties always seem to ignore the independent voter, I call them swing voters. Independents put Trump into the White House while Hillary was busy trying to placate Sanders supporters. Not that Trump went after independents, he didn't. Independents basically voted for the candidate they least wanted to lose, not win, but least wanted to lose. What I don't understand is why both parties always seem to ignore a group of voters who according to Gallup make up 40% of the electorate today while concentrating on their base. Then again I'm not a member of either major party, so I have no idea of their inside thinking.

Independents gave the Democrats the House in 2018 by voting for the democratic congressional candidates 54-42. Independents gave the GOP the House back in 2010 by voting for Republican congressional candidates 56-37. Four year earlier they gave the house to the Democrats in 2016 voting for them by a 57-39 margin.

Obama won the presidency in 2008 because he won the independent vote 52-44 over McCain. Bush won in both 2000 and 2004 because he carried the independent vote 49-45 over Gore and 50-48 over Kerry.

All demographics make up the independent group, their ideology is a pure mixture of everything, so they're not monolithic. Perhaps it's hard to target them as a group because of that. Perhaps that is why they always get ignored.

So who is the left going to vote for if not Biden? Perhaps you're implying they'll stay home. I highly doubt that, they're too angry at Trump and anger is the prime get out to vote motivation force. I'm not worried about democrats turning out. What I'm worried is further shifts to the left turning off independents, the largest voting block at 40% of the electorate vs. 31% for Democrats and 26% for Republicans.

As I stated before, history shows that on average 90% of Republicans and Democrats will vote for their candidates regardless of who that is. Independents are in flux. But we have three types of independents, independents lean Democratic, independents lean Republican and independents with no leans, what I call pure or true independents. Those independents that lean toward one party or the other on average vote for the party's candidate they lean toward roughly 70% of the time. The true or pure independents, no one knows, they're all over the place and impossible to forecast.

journeyman
journeyman
AOC? She is a young turk; full of passion, ideas, principles as are all young people. She just needs some time to season, to baste in the world as it is, to grow under the tutelage of great political leadership such as Nancy Pelosi. I think we are seeing the growth of a future Speaker of the House, AOC just needs seasoning.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by perotista
...All demographics make up the independent group, their ideology is a pure mixture of everything, so they're not monolithic. Perhaps it's hard to target them as a group because of that. Perhaps that is why they always get ignored.

...The true or pure independents, no one knows, they're all over the place and impossible to forecast.
That makes it kinda difficult to appeal to them, I would think.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ujest Shurly
AOC? She is a young turk; full of passion, ideas, principles as are all young people. She just needs some time to season, to baste in the world as it is, to grow under the tutelage of great political leadership such as Nancy Pelosi. I think we are seeing the growth of a future Speaker of the House, AOC just needs seasoning.
Quite right! She's also growing under the tutelage of terrible leadership, Trump, McConnell, obstructive Democrats and centrists.

Democratic Party is torn between the corporate world, a college-educated white middle class and a multiracial working-class base, and is attempting to reconcile them with centrist reforms. In doing so, the Democratic Party is missing a chance for systemic change that can rescue the masses of people sliding into economic depression. Democrats may win the election, but they risk losing the future.
Link

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
So far the Dems have been doing pretty good. They have encouraged Trump to keep on running his mouth and turning off supporters and they have also pretty much shut down the more mouthy of the so-called progressives so as not to offend the middle too much. Trump is tough! He has at least 30% of the voting public as a VERY SOLID base. I sincerely hope the Dems win and win big! All they really have to do is watch their mouths which it seems they are doing. If the Dems win they will certainly have their work cut out as there is a LOT to fix!

My wife has been glued to the so-called Democratic convention every night. I run and hide. I know how I am going to vote so I don't need any inspiration. She also knows but wants the inspiration (worked for the DNC when she was in college - political science and hooked on politics). I guess my only quibble with it all is that they are not really hitting as hard as he deserves to be hit. Obama, I am told, did a fair job of it but, for the most part, Trump is being almost ignored. Nobody, for instance, even bothers to mention that Americans are no longer welcomed in most of the world, including Canada and, now, even Mexico! We are also the laughing stock of the world. There are a bunch of details but those two thing kinda define it all. We have a president who publicly, and with some vigor, pointed out he is responsible for NOTHING! He REALLY needs to go and, hopefully, it can be done without a civil war which, I also believe, he is actually capable if he thinks he can pull it off.

Page 156 of 212 1 2 154 155 156 157 158 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard