WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 167 of 212 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 211 212
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
It always kinda amazes me when folks go after Obama for not doing this or that. They forget. When he was elected Moscow Mitch announced, publicly and on TV, that they would fight ANY legislation that had his name on it - ANY! That is, exactly what they did. Obama only had 2 years before the Republicans took over congress and then he was forced to do everything by decree.

I think the main problem, with the Democratic party, is that they don't stick with it. The Republicans, on the other hand, never forget that Democrats must be stopped because they are evil. The simple fact is that Democrats have never been able to take power from the Republicans unless they have a financial disaster. The other simple fact is that once the Dems take over they never ever mention how and why they took over. Apparently to just don't want to offend anybody. In Obama's case that is one of the reasons the Republicans were able to take back control of congress after only 2 years. Obama spent the first two years trying, very hard, to get along with the Republicans. On the Republican side they trashed him every little chance they had. If the Dems take over this time I sincerely hope they have the good sense to remind the voting public, every chance they get, about Republicans under their dear leader the Jackass Trump.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Somebody finally noticed attacking mail-in voting could hurt Republicans bigtime:
We're Screwed

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said he has warned President Donald Trump that his repeated attacks on voting by mail could backfire and hurt both his reelection efforts and Republicans in other races.

“I tried to show [Trump} ... You know who is most afraid of COVID? Seniors,” he said. “And if they’re not going to go vote, period, we’re screwed.”

According to a Democracy Fund + UCLA Nationscape poll last month, 48% of Biden supporters plan to vote by mail, versus 23% of Trump voters. If those Trump voters end up staying home, or walking away instead of waiting in long lines, all Republicans suffer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It always kinda amazes me when folks go after Obama for not doing this or that.

Obama did nothing.

And Democrats paid the price. You blame Republicans for Obama's failure...I blame Obama. Republican's are supposed to oppose whatever he proposes. It's his job to fight for what he wants.

Nobody ever called Obama a scrapper.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think you are blaming him for not acting like Trump, and just tearing up the system of checks and balances by ignoring congress. Obama did what Presidents are supposed to do when the voters decide they want to cripple him by electing opposing congressional majorities.

And ACA, CHIP, and Medicaid Expansion are certainly not "nothing". Presidents have been trying to do that since Eisenhower, but Obama got it done.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know yall love him, but the losses democrats suffered under him speak for themselves.

Without Obama, there could never have been Trump.

But here we are...hoping to elect a 77 year old, washed-up moderate Democrat to a single term. And hoping somehow that's gonna fix things.

Thanks Obama.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Perhaps the hope is to fix things like a Sanders or a Warren would want. Perhaps it is just to get American back to normalcy, to sanity. I personally would have preferred a fresh young face instead of a 77 year old who's been around since Christ was a Corporal.

That wasn't to be. I'm perfectly happy voting for a washed-up moderate Democrat. There were some in that field I wouldn't have voted for. I'd have taken the third party option one more time.

But you can't please everyone. As for Obama, I don't blame him for Trump. I'd place the blame Hillary herself for being so lazy on the campaign scene, ceding the campaign trail to Trump big time and letting him out work her. She had the most inept campaign strategy this side of G.H.W. Bush's 1982 campaign when he gave the impression he didn't care if he won or lost.

One could blame the Democrats in nominating Hillary in the first place, but that was their decision and they have to live with it.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
L
veteran
veteran
L
I blame the election of Trump mostly on the morons who voted for him.

Here is an example: Driving home I heard a piece on the radio interviewing El Paso residents on the upcoming election. One guy said he was voting for Trump.

"I wish he would keep his mouth shut a lot more, because of the stupid things he says. But at least you know what the man is thinking."

I was thinking, "So you don't like what he is saying, but at least you know what he is thinking, and that adds up to voting for him? Doesn't that mean you don't like what he is thinking?"

I didn't use the word "moron" frivolously...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by logtroll
I didn't use the word "moron" frivolously...

Indeed not. It's hard to underestimate the stupidity of the left side of the bell curve. But it's unseemly to point that out.

How eager they are to be slaves - Tiberius Caesar

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan
enthusiast
enthusiast
You have to consider we had the two most disliked and most unwanted candidates for the presidency in our history. At least from the point Gallup and Pew Research started keeping track of these things since 1952. Both probably would have lost and probably big to any other major party presidential candidate since 1952. Both were disliked that much.

Trump was one lucky SOB to have Hillary as his opponent. If she had given it even a half hearted college try, she would have won fairly easily. But she didn't. I realize it is very difficult if not impossible if you were a Hillary supporter to acknowledge all of this. But the fact is only 38% of all Americans had a positive view of her, favorable is the word used in the polls.

It is all Americans who decide presidential elections, not just Democrats. All that vote that is. I suppose the bottom line was 2016 was between two candidates that a minority of Americans actually wanted one or the other to win.

Perhaps this has something to do with the polarization and ultra high partisanship we have these days. Maybe we'll never see another election when a majority of Americans view both major party candidates in a favorable or positive light. But in 2012, both Obama and Romney were seen in a positive light by a majority of Americans. The only election prior to 2016 where one of the major party candidates wasn't seen in a positive light was in 1964 with Barry Goldwater who had a 43% favorable. But LBJ trounced him 61-39. Still, Goldwater had a higher percentage of Americans who viewed him favorably than Clinton, 38% and Trump at 36%.

Perhaps it's time we put None of the Above on the ballot. If none of the above wins, we have a new election between two new candidates. Make the two major parties come up with a candidate that the majority of Americans want as their president even when they try not to.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Brad Raffensperger, Georgia’s secretary of state, announced at a news conference on Tuesday that investigations were underway in 100 of the state’s 159 counties after the discovery of 1,000 instances of double voting in the state’s June primary and August runoff elections.

“We will prosecute,” said Mr. Raffensperger, a Republican, noting that double voting in Georgia, considered a serious felony, carries a penalty of one to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000.

Double Voting in Georgia

The most interesting thing in this, is that inducing someone to double vote in Georgia is a violation of the same law. Trump has told his followers to do this several times, and 1000 violations of the law have occured. So Trump's potential penalty will be 10,000 years in prison and a $100,000,000 fine! And that's not a cushy federal prison, either, It's a Georgia state prison.

Page 167 of 212 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard