WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 183 of 212 1 2 181 182 183 184 185 211 212
enthusiast
enthusiast
All the recent polls on Michigan, RCP averages.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html

Realignment, it's funny as I was talking the other day about the old Rockefeller Liberal Republicans of the Northeast when the Northeast was Republican territory. The south solid Democrat. Now the Northeast and the south are reversed. The west coast used to be Republican, now are democratic. This was back in the time when conservative Republicans would say they believed in everything the Democrats were doing, only they wanted a little bit less.

Hillary Clinton's 51% of the union household vote was the lowest percentage ever received of union households going back to 1980 when union household was first added to the exit polls. Obama received 61% in 2008 and 60% in 2012. The highest percent for a Republican was Reagan receiving 45% of the union household vote in 1980 and 44% in 1984. G.H.W. Bush in 1992 received only 25%, Dole in 1996 31%. Perot and Bill Clinton divided the rest of the union household vote in 1992 and 1996. Gore in 2000 received 65% and Kerry in 2004 62%.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Seems being the third grade schoolyard bully didn't work in the first debate.

Yahoo News/YouGov poll: Trump loses support among 3 key demographics after debate, COVID-19 diagnosis

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-ne...te-and-covid-19-diagnosis-153500657.html

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
Perotista .... none of the polling may matter nor may the actual voting results in all Republican held state legislatures, especially the battleground states. It has been confirmed the Trump campaign has contacted key Republicans in those states and advanced the legal theory state legislatures may name their own electors based on Bush v Gore, irrespective of actual voting results. All that is necessary is Republican held legislatures name Trump loyal electors and the SoS certify them as the official representatives from those states. What can be done? I don't think much. Go to court and face a conservative SC?

Folks we are witnesses to an attempt to take over America from the inside ... from the Russian candidate ... it's real .... there are no limits to what they will do

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's not that easy. In the past each state has passed laws declaring whoever wins the popular vote is awarded that state's electoral votes. Some states do it differently, but here in Georgia for example, each candidate on the ballot must submit their list or slate of electors to the secretary of state prior to the election being held. By Georgia law, whoever wins the most popular votes, that candidates slate of electors will cast Georgia's electoral votes. Some other states have different laws, but basically the same principle.

I was a Perot elector in 1996 and had he won Georgia I would have cast one of Georgia's electoral votes. To accomplish what you stated above, those Republican states legislatures would first have to pass a new law on how they award their electoral votes or who awards them. I've heard of none doing so.

Yes, the state legislature could take back awarding of the electoral votes instead of allowing a popular vote. But in order to do, they would first would have to repeal the their current awarding law per the popular vote. By 1868 all states had passed laws regarding the awarding of electoral votes via the popular vote results. South Carolina in 1860 was the last state in which state legislatures awarded the electoral votes without a popular vote.

veteran
veteran
yes of course it would be unimaginable in ordinary times .... but alas as difficult as it may be for some folks to comprehend .... these are not ordinary times.

So here is how they will present it.
The Atlantic reported that a Trump campaign legal adviser said this effort would be framed as protecting the will of the people.

"The state legislatures will say, 'All right, we've been given this constitutional power. We don't think the results of our own state are accurate, so here's our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state,' " the legal adviser told the outlet.

and the basis for their argument is Bush v Gore

The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College. U. S. Const., Art. II, §1. This is the source for the statement in McPherson v. Blacker, 146 U. S. 1, 35 (1892), that the State legislature’s power to select the manner for appointing electors is plenary; it may, if it so chooses, select the electors itself, which indeed was the manner used by State legislatures in several States for many years after the Framing of our Constitution. Id., at 28–33. History has now favored the voter, and in each of the several States the citizens themselves vote for Presidential electors. When the state legislature vests the right to vote for President in its people, the right to vote as the legislature has prescribed is fundamental; and one source of its fundamental nature lies in the equal weight accorded to each vote and the equal dignity owed to each voter. The State, of course, after granting the franchise in the special context of Article II, can take back the power to appoint electors. See id., at 35 (“[T]here is no doubt of the right of the legislature to resume the power at any time, for it can neither be taken away nor abdicated”) (quoting S. Rep. No. 395, 43d Cong., 1st Sess.).

So presumably how this works is, they would have a Trump loyalist list in waiting, the state legislature would complain about results as not reflecting will nor intention of the people and reclaim their power to appoint electors. The SoS of these states would certify the slate chosen and present to Congress. Without a certificate no other list of electors would be allowed.

But you say, the courts, the courts. And I say yes what about Trump appointed ultra conservative courts. What do you think will happen? Trump loyalists court appointees would do the right thing? Really???

While I find it unpalatable to believe anyone from the judiciary would abrogate their Constitutional duties and become partisan, this administration has me convinced. Take a look at any of the administrative departments of the federal government .... completely politicized. Take a look at Republican held Senate ... complicit in his criminal behavior.

This may be unimaginable to you but to me the possibility is getting closer to 0.5.

ignorance is the enemy

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This may be unimaginable to you but to me the possibility is getting closer to 0.5.

Those would be shenanigans of the first order. They're in the recipe but I don't see them bubbling to the top.

Occam's razor is my favorite paring knife.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If any state legislature actually did that, they would be in grave danger of mass assassination. The majority would not take kindly to having their votes ignored. Some tiny fraction of those would still be hundreds of people with "Live Free or Die" sentiments. Remember Oklahoma City? Now imagine 200 Timothy McVeighs.

Yes, there are things people in power can do to stay in power. But they risk straining the system to the breaking point if they try some of those.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with Greger and Pndering. Granted each state has its own law/s regarding the awarding of electors via the popular vote. There will be minor differences in them state to state. But overall, they say the basic thing.

Outside of that, you do have 26 states with laws binding their electors to the final outcome of the popular vote. Which states they are, I suppose you can look that up. Georgia isn't one of them.

I'm not worried one bit. Especially about a far out conspiracy theory. On another site back in 2016 many Republicans were coming up with a bunch of same type of conspiracy theories about how Obama would stay in office for a third term. I usually just shrug these off.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Another interesting article in my inbox this AM.

Extreme Partisan Gaps in Early Voting Emerge This Year

https://news.gallup.com/poll/321602...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

veteran
veteran
I don't see them bubbling to the top.
I guess you would be one of the people who believed it would pivot and act presidential. I was one who said it is not in his DNA.

Occam's razor
William of Occam saw only a number of possibilities. He was not talking about a campaign which has admitted they have contacted states with the proposition. This is in the realm of reality and therefore not subject to The Razor.

Have you seen the nutty right wing? Rep Jordan, Gaetz, Meadows, Nunes, Gohmert, etc. What makes you believe they would not do ANYTHING to get Mr Trump elected??? Why we have senators Johnson, Grassley, and Graham using taxpayer money for opposition research with a federal government imprimateur. We have an AG who has politicized the DoJ to do opposition research. We have an occupant of the WH who has implicitly directed the FDA to authorize use of a vaccine before it is ready ... and you believe the Trump campaign is not above trying to steal an election.

ReallY?????

ignorance is the enemy

Page 183 of 212 1 2 181 182 183 184 185 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard