WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 184 of 212 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 211 212
veteran
veteran
a far out conspiracy theory
It is not a far out conspiracy theory when the campaign admitted they have contacted states with the idea.

The question is, whether these republican states have legislatures and a SoS willing to test the limits of their own state laws but the Constitution. I am betting these folks are so nutty the idea appeals to them.

You won't even consider the possibility but from a big picture perspective of who Trumpites are and how willing they are to do anything for Mr Trump, I will consider it.

Gov De Santis is so Trump-goofy I would bet he is more than willing to comply, along with his Republican legislature and SoS. Republicans have complained long and often about The Count. The RNC took it to the SC and won. Why would one think they would not simply shunt the process and simply send Trump electors?

On another site back in 2016 many Republicans were coming up with a bunch of same type of conspiracy theories about how Obama would stay in office for a third term.
Yes I remember. The difference is there was no basis for that conspiracy theory but there is one for this speculation.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

veteran
veteran
Prof Tribe has weighed in on the question and said
Originally Posted by Lawrence Tribe
at least one possible reading [ed. Bush v Gore]requiring that disputes over the process of choosing electors be resolved strictly in terms of the directives laid down by the State Legislature, without resort to the State Constitution to change outcomes.
This is precisely the argument some Republicans and one in particular from the Federalist Society (are those guys conspiracy minded???) are promoting to battleground states with Republican controlled legislatures.

Much like the military, which trains soldiers BEFORE they go into battle, I was a Boy Scout and it's motto was .... be prepared.

Many folks have pooh poohed the idea Mr Trump may not leave the WH regardless of the outcome of the election. It is a question worth considering since there are no protocols which address the notion. If he decides not to leave, he may direct the military (Trump loyalists) to protect him and there is nothing anyone can do about it. What will the JC do? Bomb the WH? Breach the compound? Would that not be the very definition of a coup? etc. The result was the JC (and I hope you think these guys are serious people, not prone to conspiracy theories) actually considered the idea. Legal scholars considered the idea. Again serious people with some concerns.

Likewise I believe it is incumbent on people to consider the unimaginable in preparation of the possibility. I am not talking about the obvious court battles which will be used as a tactic, but the actual attempt of a theft of a general election.

Stranger than fiction .... steal an election in plain sight and people saying that can't happen and it does. I better write the screenplay before someone else does.

ignorance is the enemy

veteran
veteran
I sent my request for ballot 2 weeks ago and have not received it.

In Texas we may be faced with disenfranchisement from both the post office and Gov Abbott. They are trying to force me to mingle with all those maskless Trump supporters to vote. But how many will not vote????

ignorance is the enemy

enthusiast
enthusiast
I received mine last week and mailed it off last week. Here's another item which I would be more worried about than any state legislature negating a states popular vote.

The country’s lost its mind': Polls warning of civil war, violence shows deep partisan chasm over election

https://www.yahoo.com/news/country-lost-mind-polls-warning-090029570.html

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
Occam's razor is my favorite paring knife.
I don't "get" Occam's razor. Is there a "Occam's Razor" for Dummies explanation?

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by rporter314
...the nutty right wing? Rep Jordan, Gaetz, Meadows, Nunes, Gohmert...
...and the thing is, the Republican Party isn't even embarrassed by these clowns. Hmm

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
It is not a far out conspiracy theory when the campaign admitted they have contacted states with the idea.
The SCOTUS ruled on this last summer. The electors have to go with state law...state law generally goes with the popular vote.

Hmm

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by pdx rick
The SCOTUS ruled on this last summer. The electors have to go with state law...state law generally goes with the popular vote.

Hmm

26 states and D.C. have binding elector laws.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Electoral-College/Electoral-College/#:~:text=The%20District%20of%20Columbia%20and,than%20for%20whom%20they%20pledged.

Also, so far no state has changed their law in awarding their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote. Although Maine and Nebraska utilize the congressional district method, their electoral votes are still awarded to the winner of the popular vote in their districts.

This is not to say you may not have several states where the election results are contested. Each side has a thousand lawyers ready to do the contesting if the state results is close enough or some shenanigans can be proved. Can you imagine six, seven 2000 Florida recounts going on at the same time?

Then you'll probably have 20 or more lawsuits over the ballots declared invalid for various reasons. It'll be interesting. If the recent YouGov poll is to be believed, half of all Americans will think whoever won was an illegitimate winner.

https://braverangels.org/yougov-poll/

It boils down to if your candidate wins, he legit as was the election. If your candidate loses, the winner is illegitimate as was the election.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
veteran
veteran
Chiafalo v. Washington does not apply. That case was regarding "faithless" electors.

What the Trump campaign is proposing is for a state to declare a non-compliant election, which as they believe would allow a state to regain their authority to name electors to represent the "true" intention and will of the people.

Lawrence Tribe sees the possibility embedded in Bush v Gore.

This is entirely the reason Mr Trump wants Barrett confirmed to SC because the expectation is once a state has sent a certified list of Trump loyalist electors (not representing the vote but of the will of the state) to Congress there would be of necessary be many lawsuits filed. Republican thinking would be that confirmation of politically partisan Trump loyalists to the SC would ensure any lawsuit would be abrogated and thus Mr Trump would have stolen an election.

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts to this coup, but some of the pieces have been played and others are now being played, and there remains some for future implementation.

While this may not cause a blip on some radar, it has registered on some legal thinkers radar.

So the question is, would you bet your life if some state or states attempts this ploy and it ends up in the SC, that the SC would sustain a challenge? I would have bet the ranch in 2000 the SC would not intervene in a vote count. I will not make that mistake again.

ignorance is the enemy

veteran
veteran
I see you are still playing within the lines .... sorry but the Trump campaign is playing outside the box.

ignorance is the enemy

Page 184 of 212 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard