WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 205 of 212 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 211 212
enthusiast
enthusiast
I know of no one who reads the platforms of the parties or bases their vote on what the two party's platform says. I would say 90% of Americans don't know what a political party platform is outside of political junkies.

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea Trump is charismatic. He isn't in my definition of the word, but may be with others. He's a rude, obnoxious, third grade schoolyard bully. If that is how being charismatic is described, so be it.

Yeah, Biden was a total, old, bland white guy with no charisma. That was enough. It's just a matter of time before it's official. Bland vs. Obnoxious, Bland won.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
L
veteran
veteran
L
If you can find a better word than charisma, I'm in.

Looking around at a few articles on the web I do see that charisma is often used, even for negative personalities. Here is an interesting one, with a statement on the difference (found in a comment on the article): The Psychology of Cult Leaders
Thoughts on Cult Leaders. We know genuine charisma has elements of morality in it. Pseudo-charisma is the combination of personality traits that mimic true charisma and therefore can be very dangerous for a leader to possess (PSY, 533). Cult leaders have very typical traits: a grandiose idea of who they are and what they can achieve; demand blind unquestioned obedience; require excessive admiration; have a sense of entitlement; are exploitive of others and put others at risk frequently – financially, physically, and mentally; are arrogant and haughty in behavior and attitude; have exaggerated sense of power that frequently results in breaking laws; they take sexual advantage of cult members; they humiliate and devalue members to deliberately make them feel inferior, incapable and not worthy; they ignore the needs of others, including biological, physical, and emotional; and they treat people as though they are objects to be used, manipulated or exploited for personal gain (Navarro, 2012).
One observation about charm - many of Trump's followers don't see him as an a$$hole, they really do think he is charming.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Your acting smug and condescending that I don’t agree with your assessment of the problem. Fine. Have at it.

To me, it’s another tired conversation of finding solutions to a problem in the wrong area. To say that almost half the voters are captive to the siren call of ‘charisma’ is obtuse and feels a little like cranium racism.

Also, weren’t you trying to have it both ways? Was the discussion just proposing that Trump has the ‘wrong’ and ‘dangerous’ kind of cult charisma while the Dems need to get them some ‘good’ and ‘constructive’ charisma?

If that the argument your making, I would say your on shaky ground to prove this claim.

This argument was raised soon after Trump was elected, BTW, but was abandoned for the more sellable Russian narrative.

Did that response stay within your acceptable bounds of critique, Log? Was that response appropriate enough for you?

Last edited by chunkstyle; 11/07/20 03:15 PM.
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by chunkstyle
Your acting smug and condescending that I don’t agree with your assessment of the problem. Fine. Have at it.
You ignored what I said in previous posts, smugly(?) narrowing my comments to saying that 'charisma' is the only problem.

Why so much hostility to people who mostly agree with you? Weird.

R. Buckminster Fuller
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by logtroll
Something about the presidential politics has just not been adding up for me. The recurring root question is, “Why does anybody fall for the obvious con that is the substance of Trump?” All those lies, the divisive, self-serving rhetoric, the complete absence of ethics and honesty.

Apparently, the answer is charisma, which functions independently of facts and rational thinking. That’s why FARTs (facts and rational thinking) are like the proverbial farts in the wind when it comes to analyzing the enigma that is Trump.

There are many forms of charisma, and varying levels. Obama has a good measure of the good kind, I think. Reagan had quite a bit, good mixed with bad (in my opinion). The Bush boys were near zero, but their opponents were were charismatic black holes of policy wonkery. B. Clinton had it, H. Clinton did not. It has been said here that the masses vote for who they like emotionally, but most of us here are of the wonkish and intellectual breed (elitists, according to the charismatics?) and while we can acknowledge the power of charisma, we don’t really believe it.

Summing up this election, I’d say that the only reason Biden is narrowly on top is that he has a bit of fatherly and nice charisma, doing battle against Trump’s dark and fearful kind. I’ll go out on a limb here (but not far enough to engage in argument) and speculate that Bernie may have done better against Trump because he has more charisma and wields it with some power.

I’ll post a couple of links when I get on my real computer.

I am disagreeing with your statement here. Seems narrow to me...

Last edited by chunkstyle; 11/07/20 03:21 PM.
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Originally Posted by perotista
I know of no one who reads the platforms of the parties or bases their vote on what the two party's platform says. I would say 90% of Americans don't know what a political party platform is outside of political junkies.

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea Trump is charismatic. He isn't in my definition of the word, but may be with others. He's a rude, obnoxious, third grade schoolyard bully. If that is how being charismatic is described, so be it.

Yeah, Biden was a total, old, bland white guy with no charisma. That was enough. It's just a matter of time before it's official. Bland vs. Obnoxious, Bland won.

Yeah, Id agree that most people are not as nerdy on politics and only start paying attention a few weeks out from election day.

Think it's safe to say Trump was different. People are not happy with the status quo and are hunting for something else. Both parties were very satisfied with the status quo and while one candidate in 2016 was able to overcome it's parties resistance to change the other parties change candidate was effectively blocked by them. Ditto of course 2020.

What will be interesting is how much of a lasting effect Trump will have on the Republican party? Will it realign with working class voters in a real and sincere way? Or will it revert back to a business party built on a coalition of culture grievance and austerity economics. Something the other party has in common as well,IMO.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by logtroll
Will this be the takeaway?

Couldn't be anything else in the political economy?
I think it should be one takeaway. Do you think there is only one takeaway?

R. Buckminster Fuller
L
veteran
veteran
L
[quote=logtroll]Something about the presidential politics has just not been adding up for me. The recurring root question is, “Why does anybody fall for the obvious con that is the substance of Trump?” All those lies, the divisive, self-serving rhetoric, the complete absence of ethics and honesty.
See, my original statement was not about why people fall for what Trump promised, but why they believe him when he lies. (He lies about nearly everything, you know.)

When a Dem makes promises, why don't more people believe them? I say charisma is a major factor. Do I want to see a charismatic liar leading the left? No.

Do I think a stellar candidate on the issues can win without charisma? No.

R. Buckminster Fuller
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by perotista

Yeah, Id agree that most people are not as nerdy on politics and only start paying attention a few weeks out from election day.

Think it's safe to say Trump was different. People are not happy with the status quo and are hunting for something else. Both parties were very satisfied with the status quo and while one candidate in 2016 was able to overcome it's parties resistance to change the other parties change candidate was effectively blocked by them. Ditto of course 2020.

What will be interesting is how much of a lasting effect Trump will have on the Republican party? Will it realign with working class voters in a real and sincere way? Or will it revert back to a business party built on a coalition of culture grievance and austerity economics. Something the other party has in common as well,IMO.

Interesting, status quo. that is basically what we got this election with the exception of getting rid of Trump.

Presidency, Biden will be president, democratic gain
Senate democrat's net gain of 1 seat so far. Not much of a gain considering the Republicans had 22 seats up for reelection vs. 12 for the Democrats. Currently it 49-48 GOP with North Carolina and the two Georgia races to be decided. Tillis leads in North Carolina and will win it once the results become official. That leaves the senate 50-48 GOP.
House Democrats lost a net of 6 seats with 30 still to be determined, old house, 237 Democrats, 197 Republican, 1 independent. Current count, 209 Democrat, 196 Republican 30 still to be determined.
State legislature, democrats lost 2 with 2 still to be decided
governorship's democrats lost one.

The above is about as status quo as one can get.

The lasting effect of Trump? I don't know. Usually, once a president leaves office, they tend to fade away. Somehow I think Trump is different. How the Republican Party approaches this, that's up to them.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Yep. Not much of a rejection of Trump as Dems would have wanted. Not to mention the polls being way off (again) and some peoples expectations were being shaped by em.

Interesting exit polling on what was popular in the minds of voters and who got votes over it. I'd say that offers some ideas of what was in voters minds.

Just not so sure of some on the suggestions of how they might have got in there, I guess.

Interesting that Democrats that lost in congress wouldn't support MFA. Inconvenient for some that FOX news poll found a good majority supports MFA.....

Realignment?

Last edited by chunkstyle; 11/07/20 04:43 PM.
Page 205 of 212 1 2 203 204 205 206 207 211 212

Link Copied to Clipboard