WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37
L
veteran
veteran
L
A charbecue is a magical device, invented by a swell bunch of Trolls, whereby an ordinary Muggle may cook food to perfection while making money and removing 15 pounds of CO2 from the atmosphere in the process.

It's very, very hard for me to believe that a person of your excellence and obvious connections has never heard of this sorcery?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
MO 10/25

Homestyle meatloaf, roasted carrots, and mashed pots.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

T
T
Originally Posted by logtroll
A charbecue is a magical device, invented by a swell bunch of Trolls, whereby an ordinary Muggle may cook food to perfection while making money and removing 15 pounds of CO2 from the atmosphere in the process.

It's very, very hard for me to believe that a person of your excellence and obvious connections has never heard of this sorcery?

Muggie ,Muggy, or Muggle? both new words for me!
http://www.twainquotes.com/Ass.html - Pudd'nhead Wilson
Like the ass in Pudd'nhead Wilson's calendar Instead of feeling complimented when called a muggie/muggle, I am left in doubt.

TAT

Proper noun; a person who is bullshitting, but with great skill and humour and sounds like they might be telling the truth, but something indicates a lie based on the entire story in context.

However a perfectly valid story can earn the teller the appellation Muggy in order to dis them or cause general laughter in order to change to a lighter mood. Calling Muggy usually means the caller has to explain why or bullshit in return. Friendly arguing ensues with increasingly clever insults.
He said (with great earnestness) I sat there after the party and damned if I didn't look up just in time to see a strange object go across the sky. I'm not the only one who saw it, so and so were there too!
Muggy
Proper noun; a person who is bullshitting, but with great skill and humour and sounds like they might be telling the truth, but something indicates a lie based on the entire story in context.

However a perfectly valid story can earn the teller the appellation Muggy in order to dis them or cause general laughter in order to change to a lighter mood. Calling Muggy usually means the caller has to explain why or bullshit in return. Friendly arguing ensues with increasingly clever insults.
He said (with great earnestness) I sat there after the party and damned if I didn't look up just in time to see a strange object go across the sky. I'm not the only one who saw it, so and so were there too!
Muggy

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/26/21 02:38 AM.

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
T
T
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
I make my own tahini which is essentially just ground up sesame seeds with olive oil. But I toast them first in a Dutch oven by spreading them in a thin layer and keep shaking them as they toast over medium high heat. Careful not to burn them though as burnt sesame seeds taste horrible. But toasted ones taste awesome in the hummus! Then mix them with the garbanzos and a whole roasted garlic bulb. Throw in some lemon juice little salt some more oil as needed and there you go for a great hummus.

I have immolated many sesame seeds! They need too much attention, but I do just fine with pumpkin seeds, which will soon be plentiful!
I love the roasted sesame seed taste, and I have found a convenient work-around. Most Chinese food stores carry roasted/toasted sesame oils that can be added to hummus to provide that delicious taste without tediously watching the tiny tick shaped seeds burn. The seeds can be purchased with or without the hulls, but for economical reasons I buy them WITH the hulls, and then just peel some when I need some unhulled! grin

Its also great for a quick sesame addition to noodle dishes, or most anything you want to sesamize.

TAT

sevil regit
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by TatumAH
Originally Posted by logtroll

Like the ass in Pudd'nhead Wilson's calendar Instead of feeling complimented when called a muggie/muggle, I am left in doubt.
Oh, dear me, no! My only intent in the Muggle reference was that one doesn't have to know magic to experience the magic of a Charbecue.
"Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times, but not very good at recognising it."— A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
T
T
charbeque disambiguation

OK, I will recover! It was a fogón conclusion that I was looking for Charbeque in all the wrong places, and readily found information with the proper search strategery, cooking and biochar.
They appear to burn lots of various manures in those third world countries, so I'm wondering that with chicken, dogs, cats, and human "materials", which do you like best in your non-smoker? Curious about the model you use, though I figure you have already modified and improved anything on the market. I tested my propane BBQ and it generated absolutely no, nada, zilch biochar. I may have to add some mulch/compost.
TAT

sevil regit
K
old hand
old hand
K
What’s curious TAT is that your suggestions for hummus seem so obvious in retrospect even though I never thought of trying them before. But I don’t have a problem toasting the sesame seeds as it takes about five minutes and I don’t mind continuously shaking the pan. But I do want to try it with roasted pumpkin seeds instead of sesame. I’ve been a fan of eating roasted pumpkin seeds since I was a kid.

I think that pumpkin seed hummus would taste awesome.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
T
T
As long as we are already tastefully discussing[Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com] Ken!
Here is a opportunity to discuss the fifth taste/flavor savory
[Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com], not like there is anything wrong with that rolleyes

Fermented soy, schrooms, yeast extracts, meat, aged cheeses, tomatos. and breast milk. It signals protein to the brain and stomach as thus has survival value in food recognition. It's components may include glutamate the salt of the amino acid glutamic acid from protein breakdown, and nucleotides inosinate and guanylate from breakdown of nucleic acids. s*** ake mushrooms umami has mainly guanylate. Mostly they are naturally sodium salts.
Mono-sodium-glutamate, MSG, got a bad, and unjustified terrible PR treatment, and the sad result of the MSG wars resulted in loss of taste in takeout Chinese food and many others as removal was seen as a positive marketing ploy.

I buy MSG, Accent, literally by the pound,
MOAR Umami
and add it liberally to most savories, and I remain completely norbal! crazy
Along with citric acid I also add it to hummus, soups, stews, sauces, etc.
Its certainly more cost effective than any of the natural sources. I cant eat most Chinese takeout without it!
I tested pure MSG for side effects, as so many dietary snowflakes blamed almost all of their psychosomatic effects on MSG. I did not notice anything with 5 grams of MSG on an empty stomach. I enjoy debunking other pseudo-scientific dietary myths, like it's tryptophan in turkey that is responsible for the soporific effects of a Thanksgiving gorging that also usually has alcohol. While doing an experiment using tryptophan I decided to test it on an empty stomach. Ten grams did nothing and I continued by lab work.

Umami also enhances other flavors too, which reminds me to test it on a sweet and sour dish to see who wins by umamiing. No problems have been noticed with hot and sour dishes.

If I'm really Jonesing for [Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com] Ken,
I make up a batch of my very special s*** ake Stilton fondue with Gruyere base, and serve it with various toasted breads and pickled mixed veggies, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots etc. My wife turned up her nose as I described the ingredients, but she ended up fighting me to scrape the last dregs from the bowl.

Say MOAR to [Linked Image from images.firstwefeast.com]!

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/28/21 03:35 PM. Reason: MOAR UMAMI!

sevil regit
K
old hand
old hand
K
MSG was popular in Hawaii when I was a kid for obvious reasons. Lots of Asians there. The brand we used was Ajinomoto. I still use it today as I have never had a problem with MSG (The whole Chinese food syndrome thing was a bunch of BS) and I agree it adds a wonderful umami flavor to foods.

It also brings to mind the following stupid little joke we learned as kids growing up there:

Q: What did the Japanese farmer say after he dropped the ax on his foot?

A: A gee!… No mo toe…

K
old hand
old hand
K
I buy MSG, Accent, literally by the pound

Why would you buy so much? A little goes a long way. Do you have some sort of food processing business going on?

Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard