WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37
L
veteran
veteran
L
Is it true that umami wears ahmi boots?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
T
T
Umami wears comboot bats!

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
T
T
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
I buy MSG, Accent, literally by the pound

Why would you buy so much? A little goes a long way. Do you have some sort of food processing business going on?

By the 0.98 Kilos, actually! I was just getting ready to reorder Accent. I fill a small Accent shaker from the 0.98K container, that I bought 613 days ago according to Amazon. That works out to 1.63g/day. 1 tsp of MSG weighs 7.98g, call it 8. That sounds about right, 0.2 tsp/day. I also find that food needs less salt when using MSG, though it obviously has sodium, but much less than table salt.

The suggested dose is 4g/pound of meat (sorry for mixing metric with imperial units) or 4-6 servings of veggies. Rarely does a day go by without at least one meal with MSG, soup, chili, lentil stew, collards with hot sausage, and almost every takeout including savory salads!
Sounds like I might have a little Umami Oedipal problem, so I'm looking into Accent Anonymous!
TAT

sevil regit
T
T
Originally Posted by logtroll
Is it true that umami wears ahmi boots?

Actually yes! grin
Both parents were in WWII. Mother was head Nurse in a program training nurses to go overseas, and a hospital ward. Big Nurse comes to mind. Father was Doc working on chemical warfare. Both were Captains, but my father outranked her by a month, except that when he met her, he was a patient with a kidney stone in HER ward! She told him to lie down and he objected as he knew it hurt worse to lie down. He tried to pull rank as a Doctor, but she overruled him as rank doesn't count when a patient. It was love at first conflict, and she allowed him to retain the illusion of control, after a power sharing agreement was hammered out grin

TAT

sevil regit
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So okay, TAT is the resident MSG expert and I'm the guy with the kid who is restricted by his cardiologist to very low salt intake.
Does MSG count as salt intake? Does it work like salt to make the body retain water, which is Daryl's Enemy Numero Uno?

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Does MSG count as salt intake?
Yes. Sodium is Mono Glutamate's middle name. laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

T
T
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
So okay, TAT is the resident MSG expert and I'm the guy with the kid who is restricted by his cardiologist to very low salt intake.
Does MSG count as salt intake? Does it work like salt to make the body retain water, which is Daryl's Enemy Numero Uno?

First Jeff, I so sorry to read about Daryl's struggles with heart failure and edema. See below to find much more than most want to know about MSG as a salt reduction strategy. But, bottom line MSG does contain Sodium, but much less than the amounts of NaCl needed for palatability. The amounts and conversions are detailed below. Further reduction in sodium can be achieved using other Cations (my favorite ions) grin like potassium, calcium, and ammonium NH4+, but in Daryl's case they can cause other problems and would have to be approved by his treating physicians.
It's actually much more complicated when we start discussing Sodium and Chloride in the context of fluid retention in heart failure and diuretic use. There is now considerable data that Chloride may be the bad actor rather than Sodium, but as they are usually consumed together as NaCl it has been hard to define their indivdual roles in volume regulation in general and specifically in diuretic resistant heart failure. For example Na Bicarbonate, baking soda, does not have the same fluid retention stimulation as NaCl. The body disposes of excess Bicarbonate by blowing off CO2 from the lungs, but cant dispose of Chloride which has to be done through the kidney. Which brings up pretty much all of Kidney physiology to help understand fluid and blood pressure regulation by the renin-angiotensin system.
I will post some references that may help, but it is an extremely complicated and confusing system, even to those of us who have been dealing with this for 40-50 years! And, Medical Students really hate it because they have to know it!
Much MOAR later!
TAT

Monosodium glutamate as a tool to reduce sodium in foodstuffs: Technological and safety aspects

In comparison to NaCl, glutamate salts such as MSG or monoammonium L‐glutamate and disodium inosinate and guanylate, have low or no sodium content (Figure 1). There is an appropriate amount of MSG for NaCl replacement with maintaining acceptance of the food. This is because an excess of MSG does not promote the umami taste and, on the contrary, could lead to an undesirable sensation (Jinap & Hajeb, 2010). The recommendation for MSG use as food additive is 0.1%–0.8% of weight, which corresponds to the amount of free L‐glutamate present naturally in tomato or parmesan cheese (Beyreuther et al., 2007). For MSG, the amount of sodium is 12.28 g/100 g, and this is 1/3 of the sodium when compared to NaCl (39.34 g/100 g). To use MSG in a homemade recipe, such as 500 g of foodstuff (rice, minced meat, etc.), a simple replacement of 1/2 teaspoon of NaCl (2.5 g) by 1/2 teaspoon of MSG (2.0 g) reduces sodium content in about 37% (Maluly, Pagani, & Capparelo, 2013).
An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc. Object name is FSN3-5-1039-g001.jpg
Figure 1

Structures and sodium content of monosodium glutamate monohydrate, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate

The following sections present potential applications of MSG to reduce sodium content in specific foods.
3.1. Soups

Yamaguchi and Takahashi (1984) were some of the first researchers who tested different concentrations of NaCl and MSG in soups with reduced sodium content. The authors evaluated sensory panels via the consumption of sumashi‐jiru, a popular soup in Japan, made with dried bonito fish. The scales used by the sensory panels varied in a range of seven points that considered the amount of NaCl and palatability: from “extremely strong or palatable” (+3) to “extremely weak or unpalatable” (−3). Each panelist evaluated nine samples randomly and considered the concentration of 0.81 g/100 g of NaCl and 0.38 g/100 g of MSG as an ideal formulation. The authors verified that the reduction in the NaCl amount did not affect the palatability of the salty taste. With these concentrations, it was possible to reduce sodium content and maintain acceptability. This research suggested that to increase the palatability of reduced sodium products, MSG content should be tested at fixed concentrations while varying the levels of NaCl until finding the most appropriate combination. This is the best strategy to reduce the total sodium content in soups without influencing their palatability.

A recent study conducted by Jinap et al. (2016) investigated the acceptance of a sodium reduction in spicy soups (curry chicken and chili chicken) by Malaysian panelists, replacing NaCl with MSG. The authors verified that MSG could maintain the acceptability of the soups. The high score of acceptability was given for the soups with 0.8 g/100 g and 0.7 g/100 g of NaCl and MSG, respectively. These amounts corroborate a previous study published by Yamaguchi and Takahashi (1984), who noted that MSG could reduce the sodium content by 32.5%.
3.2. Stocks and seasonings

Stocks and seasonings containing NaCl are generally the main vehicles to elevate sodium consumption, according to the POFs (2002–2003 and 2008–2009) (Sarno et al., 2009, 2013).

5. FINAL COMMENTS

Considering the available data in the scientific literature, in addition to the information provided by the flavor enhancer industry, we could verify the use of umami substances as a strategy to reduce sodium in different foodstuffs (processed and homemade foods) without affecting the perception of saltiness and, therefore, contributing to the wellness and safety of the population. Many applications evaluated showed promising results, especially in those products with elevated sodium contents such as processed meat.

Despite concerns about the toxicity potential of MSG raised by some studies, regulatory agencies have demonstrated the safety of use of this food additive through toxicity assessments and randomized double blind, placebo‐controlled studies. An ADI “not specified” or GRAS status has been allocated to glutamate and its salts, meaning that it can be used as a food additive in the necessary amount to achieve the desired technological effect. Nonetheless, in the European Union, a use limit of 10 g glutamate/kg of food has been established.

Other strategies, such as the use of nucleotides (IMP and GMP) and NFEs, could also be useful for enhancing products with reduced sodium content. The combination of different substances in a formulation could generate a larger impact in flavor continuity due to their synergistic effect when added at recommended concentrations to maintain the desirable flavor without exceeding the sensorial and technological limits.

Sensorial and physicochemical tests are always recommended to obtain higher quality products while respecting the preferences of the consumers and the lifestyles of the modern life.

sevil regit
T
T
Air Fried Green Tomatoes for dinner side dish, signifying the absolute end of the home tomato season. Breaded with seasoned panko, sprayed with olive oil, and air fried for 15 minutes, turning half way through. Tart but crispy with interesting contrast of textures.
However, I think with Fried Green Tomatoes, like the BBQ,
the secret's in the sauce eek2

Tat

Last edited by TatumAH; 10/31/21 11:29 PM.

sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
I cooked black rice for the first time last night. Black rice contains high levels of seven different antho­cyanin polyphenols...antioxidents.

I made a mushroom and shallot risotto seasoned with hyssop and sumac(za'atar).

served that with homemade hummus and Lay's Ruffles potato chips.

Hyssop??
I thought hyssop was supposed to be a very unpleasant and bitter substance, which was why the Roman soldiers
handed a cup of the stuff to thirsty Jesus. They wanted to mock his suffering, so the Bible says and when he begged
for water, they gave him a cup of hyssop, which he spat out.

Don't ask me why I remember this, I haven't been a Catholic since right after Confirmation but
my mind is filled with useless info like this.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
  • Grilled sirloin steak
  • Sauteed onions and mushrooms for the steak topping
  • Yukon golds sliced 1/4" thick oven roasted
  • Green beans tossed in olive oil, oven roasted

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37