WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 51 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 50 51
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Arlight, one more, one more. The one liners are awesome!

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ken Condon
Let us know how the Hello Fresh works out Jeff. I enjoy cooking but as it is just me in my house these days sometimes it is difficult to cook for just one person. I used to have a house full of people (plus pets) but that is no longer true. It sucks but I am adjusting…..
We have tried a couple of different mail-order food offerings, and they are what they advertise. The meals are good, proportioned properly, suitable for one or two people, and nutritious. BUT... everything requires preparation (which is fun, but taxing), and some days a sandwich is all I am up for; and, the biggest downside for me, the PACKAGING. So much waste. All those little plastic bags. I love that they provide one sprig of that, or a small portion of this - just the right amount, no measuring involved - but then I end up with all of these little packages of plastic that are going into the trash. The same for the box they come in. They are getting better about recyclable packaging, but I need to put some down the drain, and segregate the recyclables out.

For awhile we were involved in CSA - community supported agriculture - and I loved it. We got fresh produce, interesting new veggies like kohlrabi, heirloom potatoes, tomatoes and beets, and star fruit (carambola). The problem was we couldn't eat it all. We shared with two other families, and still we ended up wasting so much.

My wife's nephew has been involved in sustainable urban agriculture, which I simply love. They put greenhouses on vacant lots that provide fresh produce for the local community. [url=https://sustainableagriculture.net/tags/urban-farming/]National Urban Agriculture Coalition[/url. I think that is the future.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
NW_P is correct about meal kit services: Too much packaging, but portions are exactly right.

After I posted yesterday about quitting the meal kit service, I didn't. I'm just not going to order any more meals which includes ground beef. In fact, I got a delivery on TH 10/30 and didn't get around to preparing it last weekend. I was actually going to toss the entire three meals yesterday. When I went to toss out the proteins (Chicken package, ground beef package, and a bacon package) I had placed the packages toward the back of the refrigerator and they were hard-chilled. The produce still looked good.

i thought: Welp, I'll make the meal with the bacon - Linguine Carbonara, bacon can't go bad. So I did, and it was delicious.

I put the chicken and ground beef toward the font to the shelf last night and made the chicken meal for lunch today: Chicken Dijon. It was delish.

I will not chance the ground beef. Later today, I'm going to the grocery store, I think I'll get my own ground beef and make the recipe tomorrow.

smile

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Talked to my friend in the Bay Area. He asked when in January 2022 was I coming. He already has it in his head that I'm coming to visit and that comforts me to know that he has something to look forward to.

I asked him about groceries and he said he has Safeway deliver. So I'm good there.

Prior to Rob dying on Friday night, I knew my friend was in good hands and he wasn't lonely. Now, ever since Friday night, it's constantly on my mind.

veteran
veteran
What a great friend you are, Rick.
If you can, call him every day/night. That will help him feel less lonely.
Also, send him some flowers or a plant in memory of his partner.

So sorry for your sadness, Rick.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Thank you for your suggestions Olyve. smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Merrick Garland made this big, dramatic announcement today - not about arresting Steve Bannon, not about indicting criminal Trump, but about cyber criminals. Puh-leeze. rolleyes

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Pretty delusional: Alec Baldwin's solution for accidentally killing his cinematographer is to have police on every movie set that uses guns. Some sort of weird "good guys with guns" NRA meme? So if there was an armed policeman on Baldwin's set, what would he have done? Shoot Baldwin, is all I can think of!

I guess the idea of rubber guns (that all normal people have thought of) is anathema to the "more guns" crowd. How about we arm everybody on the set, guys? That has to make everything better.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
T
T
Shouldn't it be MOAR GUNS?

Happy Birthday BC wherever you are in Yooperland! grin

For coastals: What's a Yooper?

Jeannie O. said it best in what could almost be a Yooper poem. “A Yooper is a person who is native to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. A person who will help his/her neighbor and understands the meaning of the word “hospitality”.

A Yooper is welcoming of visitors to their clean air, superior part of the country and knows how to deal with winter, mosquitoes, black flies, and extreme changes in the weather in a single day.

It's really just someone who lives in the controversial Eastern Wisconsin, or Northern Indiana/Ohio exurbs, AKA Southern Central Canada grin

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/10/21 12:23 AM. Reason: Clarification of Midwest Geography

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Pretty delusional: Alec Baldwin's solution for accidentally killing his cinematographer is to have police on every movie set that uses guns. Some sort of weird "good guys with guns" NRA meme? So if there was an armed policeman on Baldwin's set, what would he have done? Shoot Baldwin, is all I can think of!

I guess the idea of rubber guns (that all normal people have thought of) is anathema to the "more guns" crowd. How about we arm everybody on the set, guys? That has to make everything better.

• Unions wouldn't go for it.
  • That's what armorers are for. (Yes! That's really a thing and a union position smile )

Page 31 of 51 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 50 51

Link Copied to Clipboard