WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 22 of 37 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 36 37
T
T
Who even knew that shrimp had tongues?

Shrimp are monsters! You are what you eat, and shrimp eat...
TAT

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They used to just be used as fertilizer by white people. But I'm also not frightened by pics of old school fisherpeople doing what they've always done. And I've no issues with consuming their wares.

Back in the days before veganism was even a thing there were a few hippie vegetarians. One of them passed through our kitchen while my dad was eating a steak and said "You are what you eat, Mr. Kyle"

Pop looked up with the hard glare of a hard man and asked "Are you saying I'm a goddammed stupid cow?"

The boy beat a hasty and apologetic retreat.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
Catfish are considered “good eatin’l around here and they’re bottom-feeders if there ever were bottom feeders. Used to be common - maybe still is - to put a catfish in the bathtub for a few days to clean them out.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Catfish and crawdads, both decidedly non-kosher bottom feeders. Love em when I visit my friends in Louisiana. Best and priciest fish I ever had was one called Speckled Trout in New Orleans.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
My goto fish is halibut, then sea bass. Can't stand salmon - too full flavored.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

T
T
Suck mudbug head or not?

To Suck or Not to Suck? A Definitive Guide to the Most Controversial Crawfish Question

Pretty much everyone has accepted the deliciousness of boiled crawfish steeped in Cajun spices and butter, but one controversial question remains: Should you suck the heads?

The tiny morsel of edible meat that a crawfish produces is located in its tail. When you’re attending a crawfish boil or eating a pile of mudbugs at a restaurant, many people just pinch off the tail, squeeze out the meat, and eat it, leaving the crawfish head behind. Most people also don’t eat shrimp or lobster heads, for example, which puts crawfish in the same boat as their similarly-shaped cousins.

But those in the know, who really want to get the most out of their mudbugs, put the newly-dismembered crustacean’s head to their lips and take a long slow suck. When you suck on the crawfish head after eating the tail, the crawfish experience becomes truly transcendent. sick “The moisture and the flavor is all in the head,” says Underbelly and One Fifth chef Chris Shepherd. “Yes, the tail is the meat, but the head is the essence of life.”

Like they said heads are controversial
Seven rules for eating crayfish safely

With June to September being the crayfish season in China, there are occasional news reports about diners falling ill after consuming the delicacy at this time of year. In 2010 dozens of people in Nanjing contracted a rare muscular condition called rhabdomyolysis, also known as Haff disease, which can cause acute renal failure.

To avoid illness, those who crave crayfish should observe the following rules:

1. Do not eat raw crayfish or buy dead ones as histidine, an amino acid, in the creature’s protein cells turns poisonous after they die.

2. Do not eat the heads, as they are a hotbed for parasites; it is best to remove the heads before cooking.

3. Consume the high-protein food with restraint. People prone to allergic conditions, and those with gout, should avoid eating crayfish.
Crayfish must be thoroughly cleaned and well cooked. Photo: Simon Song
Crayfish must be thoroughly cleaned and well cooked. Photo: Simon Song

4. Wash them thoroughly, especially the gills where bacteria gather. Avoid crayfish with gills that are grey or look dirty. Use a brush to clean the shell. The intestines must be removed.

5. The stomach (found near the head) must be removed using scissors after cutting the head.

6. Crayfish must be boiled thoroughly to kill bacteria and germs. Thoroughly cooked crayfish flesh has a crunchy texture.

7. The orange-yellow gloop on the crayfish’s head may look like roe, but is best avoided – this is the crayfish’s digestive gland, containing its liver and pancreas.
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: claws Célèbre: The invasive species that won over china

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/17/21 05:34 AM.

sevil regit
T
T
Originally Posted by pdx rick
My goto fish is halibut, then sea bass. Can't stand salmon - too full flavored.

smile
My goto fish for guests is home made fugu, even though I dont eat fish. grin We have lots fewer guests now for one reason or another! Properly prepared it can leave you breathless.

TAT

sevil regit
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Best and priciest fish I ever had was one called Speckled Trout in New Orleans.
Spotted Sea Trout!
Makes me happy to hear that! It's the fish my dad targeted. The one I spent a lifetime fishing for and eating. It's an estuarian fish so it has to be line caught anywhere gillnets are outlawed.

There are a lot of different fish, some may be as good, but none is better than a speckled trout! My brother still brings me some when he has a good day on the Gulf.

Except maybe one. That Sea Bass Rick mentioned. I imagine he's talking about "Chilean Sea Bass" It's a Patagonian Toothfish and it's the best fecking fish I ever sunk a tooth in, bar none. But it's not generally available except in restaurants.

I usually have cod or pollock on hand because it's cheap and perfectly good fish. Mild whitefish, good in any recipe. Mahi Mahi would be my first choice but it's a little pricier.

Salmon is more nutritious, loaded with Omega3 fat. But the fat is where the flavor is!
It's rich and flavorful, almost decadent! Fish shy folks can get their healthy fish fix with cold smoked salmon on a bagel!

TAT can have his bagel with just a schmeer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sometimes out in the Gulf, nothing was biting but pufferfish and roleypoleys.

Even a cat won't eat a roleypoley but it turns out the puffers(toadfish) are pretty tasty. Something on the inside is poisonous but if you filet them without gutting them you don't get into it. Don't quote me it's what my parents said.

I have no idea if it's related to Japanese puffers and we have several varieties of them.

L
veteran
veteran
L
I ate them ol’ biled taters, an’ I ain’t daid yet. Thot y’all’d like ter know…

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 22 of 37 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard