WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Jeffery J. Haas - 05/20/24 02:22 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,060 my own book page
5,017,077 We shall overcome
4,196,069 Campaign 2016
3,794,715 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,747 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 92 of 104 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 103 104
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
As I predicted, hospitals are starting to let positive but asymptomatic staff work with confirmed covid patients:

Hospitals Short Staffed

Probably not a bad idea. It would be very bad if such a worker infected a patient of the hospital, but really, how could anybody tell? Hospitals are very dangerous places right now. Stay away if at all possible.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
A guy from my vanpool went to Costa Rica for Christmas and NYE with his wife and kids for the holidays. A friend of his was DJing a set for NYE and he want down for support.

Came back with a sore throat on SU 01/02. Was off from work on MO 01/03 anyway. Came to work TU 01/04 and WE 01/05. Corp told him not to come back to work until he tests negative.

Couldn't get an appointment until SA 01/08.

Stayed home MO 01/10 pending test results. Corp told him to come to work today TU 01/11 without test results. We arrived at work at 06:30 am. The rider came to me at 07:10 am telling me the test was poz.

Corp sent the van home and we're to test on FR 01/14...but we can work from home in the meantime.

I made the poz guy take a taxi home. Corp paid for it

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I like to watch an independent truck owner/driver channel on YouTube "JustTrucking". It's usually him booking and driving loads around the Carolinas, but last week he and his hot wife took off for Cancun. They spent the whole time there in a Covid isolation suite because she tested positive. Asymptomatic, but it's nice to know the Planet Hollywood resort and the airlines are following the WHO protocol.

Hopefully, if you do turn up positive Rick, you will have the same results. Unfortunately not in Cancun, but that's your fault for not planning better!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Imagine having rapid test kits delivered for free to the public like other countries. If only their was a federally owned distribution system to deliver parcels to Americans. Maybe even n95 masks could be delivered as well.
Oh well. Unicorns and rainbows as the scolds would say.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Here is a pretty important preprint:

Infectious Viral Load

A group of researchers in Geneva performed the experiments that can actually tell us some facts about Delta and Omicron variants, and about the effect of vaccinations have on them. MSM and even public health agencies have been making a lot of claims, with zero or shoddy evidence.

In conclusion, this study provides strong evidence for higher infectiousness of the Delta VOC as well as a significantly lower infectiousness and a faster clearance of infectious virus in vaccinated individuals. In addition, we could show that Omicron has similar infectious viral loads than Delta VOC. Furthermore, we show a more detailed picture of viral load assessment in addition to overall virus isolation success, and that quantifying viral loads can give better insights into viral shedding kinetics in acute SARS-CoV-2 infection.

In short:
Delta was more infectious than previous variants of concern.
Vaccinated people can get infected but they shed very little infectious virus, for a shorter time.
PCR is not a reliable measure of infectious virus being shed. (my belief: "killed" virus fragments)
Not much difference between Delta and Omicron variants. (my belief: more people have immunity)
Five days post symptom onset is probably too short an isolation period. (my belief: eight days would be safer)

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
The last line of the conclusion from the study you linked to:

“ Omicron vaccine breakthrough infections did not show elevated IVTs compared to Delta, suggesting that other mechanisms than increase VL contribute to the high infectiousness of Omicron.”

Kinda important, that bit.

So here’s a study that focuses on Omicron shedding that would imply a longer period of isolation for a margin of safety:

“ Since December 3, 2021, the National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) and the Disease Control and Prevention Center within the National Center for Global Health and Medicine (NCGM/DCC) have jointly initiated an investigation on Omicron cases in collaboration with several medical facilities in Japan. Here, we examined the duration of infectious virus shedding in Omicron cases identified early in this investigation. A total of 83 respiratory specimens from 21 cases (19 vaccinees and 2 unvaccinated cases; 4 asymptomatic and 17 mild cases) were subjected to SARS-CoV-2 RNA quantification using quantitative reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction and virus isolation tests. The date of specimen collection for diagnosis or symptom onset was defined as day 0. The amount of viral RNA was highest on 3-6 days after diagnosis or 3-6 days after symptom onset, and then gradually decreased over time, with a marked decrease after 10 days since diagnosis or symptom onset (Figure). The positive virus isolation results showed a similar trend as the viral RNA amount, and no infectious virus in the respiratory samples was detected after 10 days since diagnosis or symptom onset (Table). These findings suggest that vaccinated Omicron cases are unlikely to shed infectious virus 10 days after diagnosis or symptom onset.”

Active epidemiological investigation on SARS-CoV-2 infection caused by Omicron variant

Looks like 10 days may be a safer period but YMMV.

As far as “ Not much difference between Delta and Omicron variants. (my belief: more people have immunity)”, not sure what your referring to. It’s severity or transmissibility or both? The jury is pretty much in that it’s more transmissible. One only has to look at the time, numbers of infections and geographic spread.

My understanding of the differences with omicron is that it replicates better than previous variants in cells that have high ACE2. Earlier variants liked having ACE2+TMPRSS2. It replicates worse in cells that have low ACE2. Deep lung tissue has low ACE2. Hence it stays in the bronchial tree and doesn’t go lower, causing the covid pneumonia ventilation and deaths.

Seems like a lucky break with regard to fatalities but we got that there long covid to worry bout. I believe there’s other tissues in the body with high ACE2, no?
There’s some numbers out that show a % of asymptomatic cases go on to become long haulers let alone symptomatic cases. Or as a recent report from Finland has expressed:

“There is a threat that Finland will see the emergence of the largest, or one of the largest, new groups of chronic diseases, and that not only too many adults will suffer from a long-term COVID-19, but at worst also children,”

Long COVID could become Finland's largest chronic disease, warns minister

To me, long covid is the stalking horse in all this. What percentage of infections will result in debilitated lives? Guess we’re gunna find out. Sorta. The economic incentives will certainly be there to not look to hard in some quarters.

Last edited by chunkstyle; 01/13/22 06:47 PM.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Corp just put out a new policy that says if your fly interenational, you have an automatic 10 days off from work no matter what and you're required to show a negative test the day before you're to return to work.

Gee, I wonder what that is response to... Hmm , coffee

That policy should have been in place from the get-go. mad

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I was to fly to the Bay Area this weekend, but cancelled two weeks ago. I bought the ticket in October 2021 before Omicron was even in the news.

Even flight crews are now getting COVID where before they were not with Delta. What are people thinking taking an airplane these days?

Hmm

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
other mechanisms than increase VL contribute to the high infectiousness of Omicron

Like human behavior, for example. Large unmasked gatherings like family get togethers for Christmas or New Years Eve parties. As I said before, immune evasion is causing more infections with Omicron, but every infection involves an infected person shedding virus and a victim inhaling enough virus to get infected. Two people behaving in ways that contribute to spread, that they probably could have avoided.

And I agree 100% that Long Covid is going to be a huge expensive long-term public health mess. One point of interest in that topic is that nobody has ever found intact virus in human brain tissue, or even in other nerve tissue. They find RNA fragments from "killed" virus that was floating around in the blood, since brain samples taken at autopsy contain blood vessels. They find intact virus in the physical support cells of the nasal "smell sensors", but not in the nerves of those sensors. One hypothesis for brain injury is anoxia and cytokines. Those might be easier to avoid than actual viral infection of brain cells.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I have an appointment for the PCR test at 10:15 am tomorrow.

On Sunday or Monday, I'll do an in-home quick test as well so I can return back to the campus on TU 01/18.

I trust the PCR test more than an in-home test.

smile

Page 92 of 104 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard