WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
2024 Election Forum
by rporter314 - 05/08/24 02:40 AM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/07/24 07:08 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by rporter314 - 04/27/24 09:37 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,839 my own book page
5,012,633 We shall overcome
4,192,640 Campaign 2016
3,791,924 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,228 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,086
Posts313,731
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 71 72
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Looks like the expansion of the Empire has reached a full boil and we’re gunna find of a few things in the next coupla weeks.
Not sure how stone cold thrr red Libs are feeling about taking it next level with hypersonic middles pointed straight into high NATO’s back yard. As our ruling classes seem ‘agreement incapable’ and no letter of response has come from our side, we see things moving along certain tracks, though I’m not sure anyone has a handle on it.

A very good assessment of the current situation:

“The Russia-US-NATO-OSCE meetings this week have come and gone. The Russian verdict was succinctly delivered by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Ryabkov, who explained even before the OSCE session was over that the talks have come to “a dead end” and it was unlikely the Russians will participate in any follow-on talks.

This opens the question to what comes next.”

I invite you to place your bets

If I was going to lay money, I’m not sure where I’d land. I would say that the Russian government is extremely tired of getting the arse from the west, the US in particular but has, up till now, shown good diplomacy and restraint, considering all out state and spook hijinks since 92’. I think they are resolved in the matter and who can blame em? Who would appreciate their weapons systems and military units on our borders?

I’d say the situation is moving along the early predictive lines of Doctorow‘s with respect to:

“ So what comes next? In successive articles on this website, I have set out several scenarios, or algorithms. My most recent prognosis in yesterday’s piece was that Putin’s Plan B would likely be purely “military-technical” in the sense of roll-out of medium range nuclear capable missiles in Kaliningrad and Belarus, to place all of Europe under threat of attack with ultra-short warning times, such as Moscow finds unacceptable coming from U.S.-NATO encirclement of its territory.”

It’s been stated these trains are headed west…

Swipe left to see more

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
All an incredibly stupid waste of money that Russia could use to improve things a lot for their citizens. Likewise an incredibly stupid waste of money the US spends on "nuclear superiority". When you consider that ANY sufficiently nuclear-armed country could destroy all human life by merely detonating 100 nukes on their own territory, 5000 nuke arsenals, ICBMs, long-range bombers, nuclear-armed submarines, etc. are all idiotic.

They are just a bunch of frustrated old men waggling their droopy bits at each other.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Russia’s military spending can’t be compared to ours in terms of quantity and quality.

Our military is so larded up with procurement contracting, we’re muscle bound, limited to air bombardments in underdeveloped countries, Russia’s appears to be robustly rebuilt around a realty of fighting a modern land war.

They’ve also developed nuclear superiority, having first strike capability with hypersonic weapons systems. Systems we haven’t achieved yet.

Maybe it’s old men exposing their junk to one another. Maybe not. The expansion of our empire up to their border is real though.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
first strike capability with hypersonic weapons systems

First strike capability doesn't matter. We die on January 1st. They die by June 1st, and their deaths take way longer, and are much more painful. NOT a winning strategy.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
We know what we would do if somebody put nukes on our border. Remember when Russia tried that with Cuba? We didn't like it and almost went to war over it. The only thing that saved either of us was a Russian who refused to start it.

Now, about money. Putin is, I think I read, one of the richest persons in the entire world. I think that's just a given. I have also read that he bailed out Trump for about 4 billion. Money is, basically, there and he has larger thoughts. He wants the old Soviet Union back. His problem, now, is that he is no longer Popular Putin but something else entirely. His other problem is that, I think, he really doesn't know it. I also think that anybody who would try to speak truth to Putin might have a little problem just staying alive.

Anyway, it seems to me that, now, most of Europe, the United States, etc. are determined to en-cage Putin's Russia and he isn't buying it. We didn't when that happened to us and its happening to him on a much grander scale. I also believe he has no compunctions about going Nuclear.

My solution is to wishfully think somebody is going to figure it all out and we will not have a Nuclear war which is a lot easier than trying to jam my head into the sand.

C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C

C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
A pretty good summary of the current diplomatic situation between the US, NATO and Russia. At times, I wish I had terrestrial TV to see if/how the tensions are being spun. Prepping the public thru propaganda should suggest the direction of US intentions. My guess is the ‘Russia’s gunna invade any day now to steal Ukraine’ will get spun as its likely to keep the weapons procurement humming along. Russia doesn’t appear to want the basket case called Ukraine. A mafia state like most of the empires peripheral vassal states are.

From the Foriegn Affairs:

“ Of course, it is an open question whether the Biden administration is willing to engage seriously with Russia. Opposition to any deal will be high in the United States because of domestic political polarization and the fact that striking a deal with Putin opens the Biden administration to criticism that it is caving to an autocrat. Opposition will also be high in Europe, where leaders will feel that a negotiated settlement between Washington and Moscow leaves them on the sidelines. “

What Putin Really Wants in Ukraine

Judging from Bidens covid presser last week, it should be obvious the mans a talking seat warmer and is not capable of directing the state developments. My only question is who is on the US’s behalf?

Last edited by chunkstyle; 01/21/22 02:59 PM.
C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Show of hands….
Who remembers Scott Ritter? The guy who called BS on the tools at State and War in the run up to the invasion of Iraq under the lies of WMD’s.
Here’s an assessment of his on the current stand off. Likely to be equally ignored but no less credible as his Iraq assessments were:

“As for the American threats, Russia has given its response—any effort to sanction Russia would result, as Putin told Biden last month, in a “complete rupture of relations” between Russia and those countries attempting sanctions. One need not be a student of history to comprehend that the next logical step following a “complete rupture of relations” between two parties that are at loggerheads over matters pertaining to existential threats to the national security of one or both is not the peaceful resumption of relations, but war.

There is no mealy-mouthed posturing by Foggy Bottom peacocks taking place in Moscow, but rather a cold, hard, statement of fact—ignore Russia’s demands at you own peril. The U.S., it seems, believes that the worst-case scenario is one where Russia invades Ukraine, only to wilt under the sustained pressure of economic sanctions and military threats.”

What War With Russia Would Look Like

Guess we’re gunna find out if he’s right again.

Last edited by chunkstyle; 01/23/22 01:03 AM.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Like the Panama Papers, the Pandora Papers lists where Putty's ill-gotten asserts are. He better shut his big mouth or those assets will be seized. The poor little fella (Putin ia a 5'7" dwarf) and at 69 years old is still still butthurt that his precious evil empire Soviet Union busted up nearly 30 years ago. The poor little sad clown is trying to humpty dumpty it all back together again.

Geting emotional help for his butthurt would be a better use of Putin' time.

smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

C
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
‘Butt hurt’, ‘evil empire’, ‘sad little clown’?
Oddly, I find him a more than a capable statesman who’s steered his country back from the U.S. led chaos of the 90’s and early O’s.
But it’s no longer the 90’s and both countries are further along in their trajectories. Whereas Russia’s economy is much improved and has insulated itself from our economic threats, we’ve continued the process of copper stripping, degradation and entropy. A pretty impressive feat in just one generations time. On both sides.

A follow on assessment from Ritter on Blinkens meeting with Lavrov in Geneva:

“ The toolbox is empty. Russia knows this. Biden knows this. Blinken knows this. CNN knows this. The only ones who aren’t aware of this are the American people.

The consequences of a U.S. rejection of Russia’s demands will more than likely be war.

If you think the American people are ready to bear the burden of a war with Russia, think again.”

UKRAINE CRISIS: US ‘Toolboxes’ Are Empty

Did you see the mapping analysis of both the Panama papers and Pandora papers Rick? Funny how there was hardly anybody in the US or UK? Odd that….

Last edited by chunkstyle; 01/23/22 03:31 PM.
Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 71 72

Link Copied to Clipboard