WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/20/24 03:38 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,081,072 my own book page
5,017,078 We shall overcome
4,196,071 Campaign 2016
3,794,717 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,749 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,790
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 101 of 104 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 104
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Caught COVID
When? Who took care of you? How do you think you got it? How did you isolate from Karen? Did you go to the hospital? Did you have any therapies?

I only know peeps who got Omicron after being vaxxed and boosted - and they say it was pretty bad. I can’t even imagine what getting it before the vax was like and surviving.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting thing: Researchers have looked at the variants in deer, and they closely match the percentage of each variant in the local human population. There is no variant specifically adapted to deer. I can see hunters getting it from deer, but how does the other direction work? Deer hunters don't ever "catch and release". It might be through field mice, if they can pick up the human shed virus from droplets on the ground. Then their feces and respiratory droplets contaminate the grass deer eat. Domesticated deer could catch it directly from their caretakers, but I imagine they have little close contact with wild deer. It may be that deer are highly susceptible, so they can pick it up from objects or surfaces humans have sneezed on.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Lots more Paxlovid is sitting on shelves, not being used. You have to really have somebody advocating for you, to try and get it if you need it. It is totally ineffective if nobody takes it! If they do get it within a few days of symptom onset, it is terrific. People who get it often walk out of the hospital the next day!

There are resources online for locating it. In particular, CVS seems to be stocking it, but you need a prescription to get it. Don't delay if you get a positive test and are old or have comorbidities. It must be given within a few days of symptom onset to do any good.

enthusiast
enthusiast
On the lighter side concerning the booster shot.

This happened yesterday and is important information for our age group. especially those of us over 70.

A friend had his 3rd dose of the vaccine - the "booster" at a Pharmacy, after which he began to have blurred vision on the way home. When he did get home, he immediately called the pharmacy for advice about seeing a doctor, or to be hospitalized.

He was told NOT to go to a doctor or a hospital, but to immediately return to the pharmacy and pick up his glasses.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
1 member likes this: Greger
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
On a different thought. I wonder why china isn't giving everybody a vaccination. I know, theirs wasn't very good but, by now, I suspect they have the capacity to produce one that will actually work?

Seems that would be a lot easier than, literally, shutting down all of china?

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
On a different thought. I wonder why china isn't giving everybody a vaccination. I know, theirs wasn't very good but, by now, I suspect they have the capacity to produce one that will actually work?

Seems that would be a lot easier than, literally, shutting down all of china?

I'm not so sure that they do have the ability to produce "another" one that will actually work.
Why? Because in an environment like modern day China, not all that much has changed since 1949, at least not as far as the unwillingness to inform Premiere Xi that something done on his watch is less than satisfactory.
In other words, I suspect no one wants to be the one to tell Xi that his original Sinovax isn't very effective.
And thus Sinovax is officially "the best COVID vaccine ever invented and has 100% effectiveness against anything Xi says it does."

Authoritarian despots aren't fond of do overs.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Caught COVID
When? Who took care of you? How do you think you got it? How did you isolate from Karen? Did you go to the hospital? Did you have any therapies?

I only know peeps who got Omicron after being vaxxed and boosted - and they say it was pretty bad. I can’t even imagine what getting it before the vax was like and surviving.

Hmm

We all got it (Feb2020) and we're pretty sure it was our daughter who brought it home, as she was working as a men's hair stylist at a very swanky salon
that catered to the jet set. We all got it at pretty much the same time.
When I went to the hospital I didn't even know what I had and neither did the hospital.
I spent eight hours in the ER, no one had masks on where I was, including when I passed out and when I reawakened with an oxygen mask on.
They sent me home with a bottle of Prednisone and a pocket full of asthma puffers and I spent the next three weeks on the bedroom sofa wheezing frantically
with my O2 saturation hovering in the eighties.

Yes, O2 saturation...with a heart patient for a kid, we do HAVE quite a bit of 'gear' at the house.
Surprisingly my son tolerated COVID better than I did, he was very sick, but only for about a week.

I know people who caught Omicron after being vaxxed and boosted, they felt like they caught a cold.
We are all doubled vaxxed and boosted and we're planning to get the second booster.

I am definitely one of those "COVID long haul zombies" everyone talks about.

deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
a bottle of Prednisone

Probably saved your life. One of the keys to successful treatment is NOT to give steroids early on, because they decrease immune response and that can make an infection worse. But by the time you get to the hospital passing out from low oxygen saturation, most of the virus is "dead". Those symptoms are immune system over-reaction which causes almost all Covid deaths. The doctors probably had no idea what you had, but ran some simple blood tests and found a very high C-reactive protein level. That indicates inflammation, and steroids are the best treatment. Fortunately for you, WHO had not told everybody not to give steroids yet.

For most everybody under 70 and with no comorbidities, a fourth shot is unnecessary. You WILL get infected if exposed to the latest variant, but it will just be a "Covid cold" and act as a booster. For people with more things that make it likely to be serious, a fourth vaccine will boost your antibody level for a few months and make even that "Covid cold" less likely. But a fourth shot is very unlikely to cause any harm to anybody who did not have a serious problem with previous Covid vaccinations.

For vaccinated people with a working immune system, there is this thing called "somatic hypermutation" that makes antibodies against a wide variety of variants. Even against SARS1 and MERS, as well as every possible future variant. Not a lot of each antibody type, but enough that you have some that will react against a new variant and start the immune system cranking out new variant-specific antibodies quickly. This is why a new "Covid cold" acts as a booster for most people.

Of course, the real "star of the show" is T-cell and B-cell immunity. Those are much longer lasting and much more resistant to "immune evasion" than antibodies with new variants. Antibodies react to a much smaller region of the virus (an epitope) than T-cells. So a few mutations in a new variant can make the variant evasive to old antibodies, This is why so many monoclonal antibodies are no longer effective. T-cells react to a much much larger viral epitope, so several mutations don't affect them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
a bottle of Prednisone

Probably saved your life. One of the keys to successful treatment is NOT to give steroids early on, because they decrease immune response and that can make an infection worse.
For most everybody under 70 and with no comorbidities, a fourth shot is unnecessary.

I'm going to be 65 in a few days, and my list of comorbidities is Type 2 diabetes, COPD, 35 lbs overweight and fatty liver.
So I WILL be seeking out that second booster and so will everyone else in Hacienda del Haas.

Know WHY I threw out the Prednisone? Because it felt way too much like being high on crack cocaine, that's why.
I put down the crack pipe twenty-seven years ago, and feeling that overcranked hyperactive crap scared the bejeezus out of me.

deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You should NEVER cold-turkey steroids. If you tried them and hated it, you can. But if you have been on them for a while, you need to taper slowly.

If they freaked you out, you should have just tried cutting the dose. Or asked your doc for a different one. Dexamethasone was actually the first one found to help people after serious acute Covid to avoid inflammation leading to Long Covid. I'm afraid you shot yourself in the foot there.

But I'm the same way with opiates. Tried one pain pill after I had three buried teeth extracted. I hated it so much I switched to ibuprofen.

Page 101 of 104 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 104

Link Copied to Clipboard