WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Honcho
old hand
OP Offline
Honcho
old hand
Congress used to echo the Mafia when it claimed what happened on Capitol Hill was "just business" and not "personal." They accomplished much more before it became personal

By DOUG THOMPSON

April 11, 2022

The Capitol: Also known as the dark side of the moon.
After Illinois Congressman Paul Findley talked me into taking a sabbatical from my chosen profession as a newspaperman in 1981 to become his press secretary, I promised to spend no more than two years in Washington before returning to a newsroom somewhere.

“The key to surviving in Washington is remembering the advice of a Mafia don,” a long-time staff member in Congress told me shortly after arriving in DC. “What we do here is business. It should never be personal.”

For a while, that seemed to be the norm on Capitol Hill. We helped our Congressman take positions that some of us seemed way out of line but did so in the interest of the party while knowing compromise and coalition-building will find a middle ground that can draw enough support from both sides to reach a decision and pass legislation.

Republicans were the minority party and had been for decades but GOP leader Bob Michel promoted coalitions and consensus to try and get the job done. New president Roanoke Reagan surprised many when he and Democratic Speaker of the House Tip O’Neill worked out a deal on a budget that delivered tax cuts along with support for needed social programs.

The deal, one of Michel’s aides told us in a meeting of press secretaries, came over a few drinks the President and Speaker shared at the White House during a meeting that went late into the night.

After hours, Democratic and Republican staff members would share tables and drinks at the Capitol Hill bars and talk more about the Washington Redskins (now the Commanders) than any debates and legislative issues.

The two-year plan turned into four as I took a new job, at the recommendation of the National Republican Congressional Committee, to become Communications Director for New Mexico Rep. Manuel Lujan Jr. I spent the last six months on leave from his office staff to work on his campaign in Albuquerque and around the state.

Lujan was a conservative but knew how to work well with moderates. During the campaign, we would work to defeat his opponent, State Treasurer Jan Hartke, a rising Democratic star and son of former Indiana Sen. Vance Hartke.

We beat Hartke but his campaign manager and I became friends and, after the election, I suggested Lujan hire him as his district aide to work on Veterans Affairs issues. He turned out to be an excellent aide in a staff known for its great constituent service.

Lujan said he never cared about parties when it came to looking for staff members. He worried a lot about what he felt was a growing movement of what he called “political extremists” that he felt would destroy the GOP.

He did not like Georgia Congressman Newt Gingrich, who came to Congress in 1979 after becoming the first Republican to ever serve in the 6th Congressional District and quickly rose through the ranks as a loud,, often obnoxious, promotor of control without compromise and leadership without question.

Gingrich later engineered a phony “Contract With America” that promoted term limits, and end to “pork barrel ” legislation that led to enough GOP wins in both the House and Senate to give take over control of Congress. Gingrich became Speaker and declared that the only way the House would continue would be “my way or the highway.”

Coalitions collapsed. Bi-Partisanship began to disappear. “Continuing Resolutions” replaced permanent legislation because Gingrich and his followers threw up too many roadblocks to legislative progress.

Talk of term limits disappeared. So did promises to stop funneling federal money to the districts of party leaders. Few remember the “Contract With America” and it is seldom mentioned.”

Congress forgot about business. Everything became personal. It’s gotten worse and few GOP speakers have thrived. Gingrich fell under revelations that he was nailing a House committee staff member while publicly criticizing President Bill Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky and then fell afoul of the Ethics Committee for profiteering.

Republican leaders went from bad to worse. Illinois Congressman Dennis Hastert after federal prosecutors said Hastert molested young boys as a wrestling coach. The judge who sent Hastert to federal prison called him “a serial child molester.”

Hastert remains the highest-ranking Americal official to serve in prison: At least, for the moment.

I left Capitol Hill in 1987 after serving as chief of staff for one new member before returning to Lujan to become his Special Assistant on the House Science and Technology Committee. I became Division Vice President for Political Programs for the National Association of Realtors. One of my responsibilities was to oversee the association’s Political Action Committee.

In 1994, I walked away from politics and returned to journalism. It was not a coincidence that I also joined Alcoholics Anonymous that same year.

Copyright © 2022 Capitol Hill Blue

It is the role of a newspaperman to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
-- Finley Peter Dunne
2 members like this: Jeffery J. Haas, Greger
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I remember Lujan, the Representative, as a principled conservative (a rare breed, nowadays). Not my cup of tea, but someone who could be worked with.

He was Secretary of the Interior when I was heavily involved in Indian affairs. Although I deplored his environmental positions, he was no James Watt, and his treatment of Native American interests, I thought, was pretty even-handed. I recall him being fairly balanced and pro-policy - that is, following, not flouting the rules.

As for Gingrich - he was the worst thing to happen to politics in my lifetime, which includes Nixon. His scorched earth, dishonest and confrontational attitude continues to this day. The Man Who Broke Politics (Atlantic). He is one of the most detestable humans ever to have infected the species. Hastert was largely ineffective, but he carried on the "Hastert rule" which effectively prevented any meaningful legislation to come to the floor for his tenure.

I think the next two elections will determine the fate of our nation. So long as he-who-should-not-exist is still not in prison and continues to use the fear of his racist base to influence politics, we're in peril. Biden is the last of the old-school compromisers. His long tenure in the Senate and I'll even say skill as VP in forging consensus should work well as a recovery President. I just wish he were a more effective speaker.

If the GOP gains enough seats to stymie any further legislative progress, the country is close to failure. As with every Presidency since Kennedy, Democratic Presidents are elected to clean up the messes created by Republicans. The role of Congress appears to simply stay in the way. That is NOT how the founders imagined the process.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That is NOT how the founders imagined the process.

When Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton was it business or personal?

When Brooks beat Sumner with his cane...on the floor of Congress.

Business? Or a personal grievance? I reckon arguments could go either way. But so could our most recent grievances. Politics is a VERY personal business.

We haven't reached anything like the low point of the Civil War. We haven't seen economic insecurity on the scale of the Great Depression. We haven't seen destruction comparable to the World Wars. What I see in our future is a lot of disappointment and frustration. For both parties. It's been this way since Julius Caesar was stabbed on the Senate floor and before.

Sparta had two kings...perhaps because they knew the two factions could never get along.

They defeated Athens...the first attempt at democracy.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
They defeated Athens...the first attempt at democracy.

Of course you know that Athenian democracy was pure direct democracy, not our representative democracy.
A very different form of government.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That is NOT how the founders imagined the process.

When Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton was it business or personal?

When Brooks beat Sumner with his cane...on the floor of Congress.

Both personal despite it happening in a political environment.

Burr-Hamilton Duel

Burr blamed his loss on a personal smear campaign believed to have been orchestrated by his party rivals, including New York governor George Clinton. Alexander Hamilton also opposed Burr, due to his belief that Burr had entertained a Federalist secession movement in New York.

Brooks-Sumner Affair

Representative Preston Brooks, Butler's first cousin once removed,[9][10] was infuriated. He later said that he intended to challenge Sumner to a duel, and consulted with fellow South Carolina Representative Laurence M. Keitt on dueling etiquette. Keitt told him that dueling was for gentlemen of equal social standing, and that Sumner was no better than a drunkard, due to the supposedly coarse language he had used during his speech. Brooks said that he concluded that since Sumner was no gentleman, he did not merit honorable treatment; to Keitt and Brooks, it was more appropriate to humiliate Sumner by beating him with a cane in a public setting.[11]

Brooks was praised by Southern newspapers. The Richmond Enquirer editorialized that Sumner should be caned "every morning," praising the attack as "good in conception, better in execution, and best of all in consequences" and denounced "these vulgar abolitionists in the Senate" who "have been suffered to run too long without collars. They must be lashed into submission." <<<<----Sounds exceedingly personal, yes?

Sure as Hell doesn't sound like business.

Also, a further enraged Brooks went on to challenge THREE more people to a duel, one after another.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Burr blamed his loss on a personal smear campaign believed to have been orchestrated by his party rivals,

Trump blamed his loss on massive voter fraud that didn't exist. Same sh*t different century.

The business of politics is a very personal business. Always has been always will be...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Burr blamed his loss on a personal smear campaign believed to have been orchestrated by his party rivals,

Trump blamed his loss on massive voter fraud that didn't exist. Same sh*t different century.

The business of politics is a very personal business. Always has been always will be...

The only reason I ever became this interested in politics is because suddenly it was very personal.
In the Seventies I was a professional musician by night and a starving radio announcer by day, by the Eighties and Nineties I was a union film editor
making "more money than God" and by the early 2000's I was doing a fallback career in IT infrastructure after getting my video gear wiped out in an earthquake.

And then I met Karen and became an instant husband to a disabled Navy vet and father to two disabled kids, and suddenly political stuff was shooting grenades at my driveway.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And just like agricultural products, political products are often full of maggots.

Sometimes seen and sometimes just waiting to hatch from ill-conceived legislation.

Link Copied to Clipboard