WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by jgw - 05/17/24 10:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/16/24 06:20 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,077,958 my own book page
5,016,082 We shall overcome
4,192,782 Campaign 2016
3,792,236 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,463 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,284
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,777
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
logtroll #342345 05/09/22 02:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Everyone imagines there is some religious reason you shouldn't kill babies.

And that the younger the baby is the more okay it is to kill it.

It's just a moral thing, like eating meat or wearing leather. Do you go completely vegan or can you have milk and eggs?

I'm a very religious sort of man and I don't believe there is such a thing as a "soul" and that consciousness exists in all animals. I think you can safely lose your notions of "heaven" too.

Dead is dead.

Convince Reeps that every unborn baby is a future Democrat and they'll be calling for genetic proof of conservatism prior to birth.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
jgw #342353 05/09/22 08:13 PM
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
It’s been a week since the leaked draft on abortion. For all the hell being raised about it, there has been no significant changes to the generic congressional ballot.

2 May 2020 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 46.5-42.5, Republican, 538 averages 45.2-42.8 Republican
9 May 2020 Generic congressional ballot, RCP averages 46.4-43.2 Republican, 538 averages 45.4-42.8 Republican

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/2022-generic-congressional-vote-7361.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/generic-ballot/

We haven’t seen any significant movement on President’s overall job performance since the leak either.

2 May 2020 Biden’s overall job performance, 41.7% approve, 53.0% disapprove
9 May 2020 Biden’s overall job performance, 42.3% approve, 52.9% disapprove

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president-biden-job-approval-7320.html

It will take another week or two before we can gauge the full impact of the leaked draft on abortion. Early indications are the draft will have minimal effect on the upcoming midterms. But it’s still early, like the first quarter results in a football game with 3 quarters left. What I think will happen is after the second and third week you’ll see movement towards to the Democrats. After the fourth week, the numbers will begin returning to where they were prior to the leaked draft. That the way these things usually play out.

You may see the same results, first movement towards the democrats for the public 1-6 hearings and again once the SCOTUS hands down their official ruling in June. Then the numbers reverting to pre-1-6 public hearings and the official SCOTUS ruling. That’s what history has shown that happens on these so-called game changing events.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
perotista #342357 05/10/22 01:56 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
It’s been a week since the leaked draft on abortion.

Wow! A whole week!!

For the record, the ruling isn't out yet - so why get worked up over something that is not certain? smile

Trust me, if Roe is overturned, your slide rule will be working overtime. laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

jgw #342358 05/10/22 05:05 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There are actually a few "game changers", even before a SC ruling is made. So far we have protestors demonstrating outside some conservative justices houses, demonstrating they know where they live. We have the Senate passing a bill to give Supreme Court justices and their families extra protection. And we have an anti-abortion organization's offices being burned down and spray paint on the outside wall proclaiming: "If women aren't safe, YOU aren't safe."

Overturn a civil right that's been around for 49 years, and some people are going to get upset. A few people are going to get really upset. I wonder how many Supreme Court nominations Biden is going to get in the next six years?

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
There are actually a few "game changers", even before a SC ruling is made. So far we have protestors demonstrating outside some conservative justices houses, demonstrating they know where they live. We have the Senate passing a bill to give Supreme Court justices and their families extra protection. And we have an anti-abortion organization's offices being burned down and spray paint on the outside wall proclaiming: "If women aren't safe, YOU aren't safe."

Overturn a civil right that's been around for 49 years, and some people are going to get upset. A few people are going to get really upset. I wonder how many Supreme Court nominations Biden is going to get in the next six years?

---Zero if the Republicans win the mid-terms. Where have you been? :roflmao

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
jgw #342361 05/10/22 03:03 PM
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Two things this bright, beautiful AM. I pour over numbers everyday rick. That’s what I do. I let the numbers talk to me, listen to what they say and usually get what they are talking about. Some I like, some I don’t, most I’m irrelevant to. I whole heartily agree, the ruling isn’t out yet, no need to get riled up, yet. But it’s fun watching folks who do.

Pondering, I’ve seen a whole lot of protests, in front of elected official’s homes, bothering them when they go take their families to eat, even some riots that occur. In the long run, those haven’t affected how people vote, they may have even provoked some sympathy for those being protested against, definitely against the rioters. The civil rights protests worked because they were peaceful, they were peaceful marches and rallies. Then there were the actions taken against them like Bull Conner’s, dogs, water cannons, bully clubs, against the helpless all on TV. It was clear to everyone who was in the wrong, who was breaking the peace, who was causing the violence. It wasn’t those who favored civil rights, it was those against civil rights and equality. Violence was caused by those against, not for. Rosa Parks bus boycott worked because it was peaceful. No riots or violence involved by the boycotters.

BLM and Defund the police failed because folks seen them as rioters, seen them as the cause of violence in Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle and other places. They didn’t change anyone’s vote for them but caused some to vote against them. You had a president win by 7 plus million votes, you also had many of those who voted for Biden to get rid of Trump voting against Democrats who embraced BLM and Defund the police to a tune of the Democrats losing 13 house seats, a governor and 2 state legislatures down ballot. Most people don’t like violence regardless of the cause, they don’t like what seems in your face protests at an elected official home or harassing them in during lunch or dinner. This kind of activity hurts the cause they’re trying to promote especially among those who aren’t hard core ideologues one way or the other. The ideologue vote is already baked in. It’s those who are quasi for that isn’t. It’s the group that believe abortion should be legal in only the case of incest, rape or the mother’s life is in danger. I don’t think they’re about to leap on the abortion bandwagon or change how they’ll vote regardless of how the SCOTUS rules on Roe. These folks count as being for abortion, but by how much? They want abortion illegal in all other cases. This group make up 29% of all Americans. That’s almost a third of America.

You look at the total percentage who say they’re in favor of keeping Roe, 65% in some polls, higher in others, as high as 80% in one. My advice is to go deeper. 54% believe abortion should be banned after the first trimester. 29% abortion allowed only in the case of case of incest, rape and mother’s life in danger, banned or illegal in all other cases. Be careful here, it will be very easy to overplay one’s hand.

I read this AM where Schumer is going to pass a law to keep abortion legal. So how do you keep everyone happy? From legal only in the case of incest, rape and the danger to a mother’s life to abortions right up to the day of birth and all those in-between. Where will be the cut off? Will those who favor a total ban on abortion after such and such a time frame, will they oppose it because to them Schumer’s law is taking abortion too far. Just something to think about.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
---Zero if the Republicans win the mid-terms. Where have you been?

Republicans are only forecast to win the House by a narrow margin and to hold the Senate with a possible pick up of one or two seats. All of President Biden's nominees will be confirmed, should there be any.

I don't count on numbers for my predictions, Like you, I look at all the available information, headlines, news blips, celebrity divorces, and popular trends, then I build models in my head of the most likely possible outcomes. I used to look at the world through blue-tinted glasses, I used to think there was some deep untapped well of left leaners among non-affiliated.

When I eliminated that from the models my predictions began to fall more in line with reality..

1 member likes this: perotista
jgw #342365 05/10/22 10:11 PM
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
What I give you, based on available number is if the election were held today. So far as to the leaked draft, all rants and raves with no movement on the numbers. That could change or maybe it won’t. We still have 4 states that haven’t completed their redistricting. So, the numbers are based on 395 districts, races, elections, etc. instead of 435. That translate today into a net gain of 12-15 seats for the GOP. Out of those 395 districts, 42 are competitive, switchable, at risk districts. Currently held by 31 Democrats and 11 Republicans. Safe seats as of 10 May 2022, 163 Democratic, 190 Republican. But New York 26, Missouri 8, Kansas 4 and New Hampshire 2, haven’t completed their redistricting yet.

I’m positive the abortion issue nor the 1-6 hearings and the official SCOTUS decision won’t affect the safe seats. They could have an affect on the competitive, at risk seats. With 20 more at risk seats than the Republicans, the democrats better hope that they do. Time will tell on that. The senate boils down to 5 pure tossup states, Democratic held Nevada, Arizona and Georgia along with 2 Republican held states, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Two other states are very close, New Hampshire where the Democrats should hold onto and North Carolina where the GOP should hold on to it. Chances are good of Nevada and Arizona staying in Democratic hands, Georgia is very iffy. The Democrats have a good shot at both Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. The likely outcome as of today, The Dems lose Georgia, but pickup Wisconsin and Pennsylvania for a 51-49 adavantage. Those numbers could change tomorrow.

jgw #342367 05/10/22 11:48 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If Susan Collins decided to retire suddenly, the governor of Maine would appoint a Democratic senator. If the Senate remains in Democratic control, any dead or retiring conservative SC justice would be replaced by someone much less conservative. All kinds of things could happen. Some wacko could blow up the Supreme Court, and we would get 9 liberal justices! I doubt the midterms and 2024 are going to be business as usual, considering one Party favors overthrowing the government, and Putin is backed into a corner where nukes look like his only option.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If Trump had won it would have been the other party trying to overthrow the election...

For the good of the country of course.

All kinds of things could happen.

But most of them probably won't.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard