WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
As truth and reality fade, paranoia and conspiracy theories rise

A poll conducted last year by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that just 16% of Americans say democracy is working well or extremely well. Another 38% said it’s working only somewhat well.
Capital Hill Blue

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
enthusiast
enthusiast
This was interesting – “Other surveys reveal how many people in the United States now doubt the media, politicians, science and even each other.”

Along those lines you have this - 56% of Americans agree with the statement that "Journalists and reporters are purposely trying to mislead people by saying things they know are false or gross exaggerations."
58% think that "most news organizations are more concerned with supporting an ideology or political position than with informing the public."

https://www.axios.com/2021/01/21/media-trust-crisis

You had that Rasmussen poll where a third of each party think the other party and its members are the number one enemy of this nation. More than Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, terrorists, etc.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/pu...voters_see_each_other_as_america_s_enemy

Only 36% of all Americans trust the media to report the news in a full, fair and accurate manner.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/355526...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

The media makes this paranoia easy for the viewers. If you’re a conservative, you tune in FoxNews, If you’re a liberal, there’s CNN and MSNBC. Not to mention the numerous web sites where one can get their news in the manner with the right political slant one wants. This leads to people believing exactly what they want to believe. Truth and facts are lost, conspiracy theories abound. Trust in our government is at an all time low, everyone knows any and all government officials lie, especially politicians. As the old joke goes, How can you tell a politician is lying, his lips are moving.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/06/06/public-trust-in-government-1958-2022/

No wonder so many people believe all these conspiracy theories, the CIA killed JFK, our own government destroyed the twin towers, Aliens did crash at Roswell and the government has the craft and bodies to prove it, but is covering it up, Free Masonry and the Bilderbergers are forming a one world government, and yes, the 2020 election was stolen due to massive voter fraud and a ton of more dumb conspiracy theories. But millions and millions of people believe in these conspiracy theories. I like the ancient alien theory; it almost makes sense. They’re here and they walk among us. Beware.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
2 members like this: pdx rick, NW Ponderer
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
This was interesting – “Other surveys reveal how many people in the United States now doubt the media, politicians, science and even each other.”

How very Russian.
Your theories about the media being responsible for this are as far fetched as anything one might read in Pravda.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas

How very Russian.
Your theories about the media being responsible for this are as far fetched as anything one might read in Pravda.

So you don't think there is an issue with propaganda in the US? That the media does not twist the news into what people want to hear?

And that anyone who thinks there is is probably a supporter of Russia?

Quaint.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas

How very Russian.

So you don't think there is an issue with propaganda in the US? That the media does not twist the news into what people want to hear?

And that anyone who thinks there is is probably a supporter of Russia?

Quaint.

I was possibly one of the first here to talk about how American news is now a consumer product instead of a public service.
I made mention of my time at Brown and how Cronkite came to give a talk on the changing nature of news in this country back in 1979.

Where I see a Pravda feel is in the whole "Don't trust the government, don't trust media, don't trust ANYONE EVER on anything".
That is not American, or it didn't use to be.
And it was something I noticed back in 1989 first time I accompanied Viktor and Sergey to Moscow on our little business trip.

Pravda used to cost three kopeks and the running joke in the USSR was how "you can have the TRUTH for only three kopeks!"

So now here in Murrikuh ALL media should be categorically dismissed as lies.
The Lying Press --- Die Lugenpresse!

Oh wait, not ALL media!!! ROTFMOL

FOX NEWS IS FAIR AND BALANCED!!!!

And meanwhile Trumpism IS indeed a RELIGION now.
But we'll just ignore that. :tin

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
2 members like this: NW Ponderer, pdx rick
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have a feeling Trump won’t be around much longer. Trumpism will fade once he isn’t. Whether that’s this year or the next or the year after. Who knows? Trump is a has been who doesn’t know it yet. Democrats ought to be thankful for Trump being around as he’s limiting their loses for this year’s midterms. At least that’s what today’s numbers show. Without Trump still being around, the Democrats could be looking at 50 house seat loss and 5-6 senate seats with a president whose job approval is at 38% and a Democratic congress way below that, with 75% of all Americans thinking this country is headed in the wrong direction, those loses should be what is projected. Not a loss of 18-20 house seats and perhaps a gain of a senate seat. Thank Trump for that as independents are still very hesitant to vote for Trump backed candidates and the GOP in particular.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/direction_of_country-902.html

As for not trusting government nor trusting the media, those are cold hard numbers without any political slant. You mentioned 1979, Gallup mentions 1972-76,

“These findings, from a Sept. 1-17 poll, are the latest in Gallup's tracking of the public's confidence in key U.S. institutions, which began in 1972. Between 1972 and 1976, 68% to 72% of Americans expressed trust in the mass media; yet, by 1997, when the question was next asked, trust had dropped to 53%. Trust in the media, which has averaged 45% since 1997, has not reached the majority level since 2003.”

Today, only 36% of all Americans either have a great deal or a fair amount of trust in the media to report the news fairly, fully and accurately. This number is for all media, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, TV, radio, newspapers etc.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/355526...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

As for trust in government, it fell from a high of 77% of all Americans down to 62% during LBJ, continued to drop during Nixon and Watergate down to 36%. It continued it downward spiral during Ford and Carter down to 25%. Trust has been at around 20% during Obama, Trump and now Biden.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/06/06/public-trust-in-government-1958-2022/

Cold hard numbers from unbiased sources, Gallup and Pew Research.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I have a feeling Trump won’t be around much longer. Trumpism will fade once he isn’t..

Um...no. Trumpism is here to stay. That horse has left the barn. My evidence?

* Madison Cawthorne
* Lauren Boebert
* Marjory Taylor Green
* Doug Mastriano
* Lindsey Graham

These people are like roaches and they bred and infest the body politic. Trumpism here to stay until it completely destroys the GOP. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Trumpism is just TEAbaggers born again under another banner. It will never go away but it will always be a noisy minority.

When the Trump flag falls they will pick another demagogue or another movement to latch onto. Madison Cauthorn is gone. I'm betting Greene only lasts a few terms, Mastriano will lose.

Graham is a Republican stalwart who will whore himself out to anyone. He'll be around longer than I will.

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
enthusiast
enthusiast
When the tea party was formed, the national debt was their number one and as far as I remember, their only issue. There was a certain kinship between us old Ross Perot Reform party members with them as that was our only issue. We believed any stances, pro or con on any other issue was up to the individual. The Reform Party took no official stance on any other issue. We had hoped the Tea Party would become a political party unto their own, a viable third party.

But they decided to join the Republican Party instead. I understood that with ballot access and a ton of other hoops any third party must jump through just to get on the ballot. Plus, a thousand other obstacles thrown in front of any third party and or independent who tries to challenge the two-party monopoly we have. We had been through all of that twice, 1992 and 1996. But then the Tea Party dropped their national debt mantra and became religious zealots and social conservatives. Regular hard-core Republicans. No different than the religious right. All kinship was lost. To us ex-reform party members they became just a foot note in a history book. I hadn’t thought of them in years.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Trumpism is just the latest metastasized version of revanchism within the Republican party, as the TEA party was, and the John Birch Society before that. Trump just took advantage and pushed the envelope in more worrisome directions, but there are relatively frequent eruptions of the cancer that plagues the party, and our country. That anyone ever believed the TEA party was anything other than the rebirth of John Birch, or that the Federalist Society ever represented a legitimate school of thought is beyond me. I recognized both as "propaganda for the denigration of American values" the moment they sprang from their astroturf roots, fertilized by the crap spewed by the Kochs, Mercers, and Adelsons. and their ilk.

Any real reform party will grow from the middle, out, based upon core constitutional values. The Democratic party contains more of those elements, at present, but that wasn't always the case and is unlikely to remain so. But, the likelihood of the GOP resetting itself into any semblance of its old form recedes daily.

Ultimately, if we survive the current turmoil, I think there will be a resurgence of the Democratic party and democratic ideals. The United States polity is like a gyroscope - it is most stable when it is spinning around the axis of our core Constitutional principles, but begins to wobble as it loses momentum and focus. We are in a period of extreme wobble. But, just as events can throw us off-kilter, so too events can impart momentum to get us back to spinning on a stable axis.

The invasion of Ukraine, the insurrection, and the demise of Roe have been significant events reminding us of the fragility of our democracy and democratic norms. It is my view that the GOP has revealed itself as anti-democratic and craven to its core. Demographics will inevitably lead to the demise of its current iteration (although the structure of our federal government makes rooting out the infection difficult), because it is decidedly a party at war with the liberal values of urban America, which is expanding its reach.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
2 members like this: Jeffery J. Haas, Greger
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard