WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:42 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/08/24 02:32 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (jgw), 17 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,842 my own book page
5,012,687 We shall overcome
4,192,643 Campaign 2016
3,791,926 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,237 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,086
Posts313,734
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
22 million people have already applied for some student debt relief. You would think 22 million people of voting age getting screwed out of $10,000 or $20,000 might affect an election. Especially if the Republican challenge comes just 10 days before the election!

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
NPR says that young voters are highly mobilized to vote due the Republican challenge to student loan forgiveness and abortion.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

K
Kaine Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
K
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
22 million people have already applied for some student debt relief. You would think 22 million people of voting age getting screwed out of $10,000 or $20,000 might affect an election. Especially if the Republican challenge comes just 10 days before the election!
You would think so. But, not people nowadays. Today they continuously vote for policies that hurt them. I mean, why does anyone vote for a party that wants to remove our social security net? Or, to not allow prescription drug price negotiations? or, give tax cuts to the rich while the middle/lower class has to pay for it?
I have a daughter-in-law that has applied and she it a big time Trump lover! When I ask her why she would vote for someone that wants to hurt her, her reply was "That's who my mom voted for". That says so much for todays voters!

Good doesn't always win!
J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
Let me try again. I think what is being talked about is a government which is lending your tax dollars back to you and charging interest on that loan. This continues to confuse me. I am against this as I think its just wrong as well as not particularly bright in all sorts of ways.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
Let me try again. I think what is being talked about is a government which is lending your tax dollars back to you and charging interest on that loan. This continues to confuse me. I am against this as I think its just wrong as well as not particularly bright in all sorts of ways.
Which is why I have NO PROBLEM with my loan going away. The interest on my loan is 9% and is 4X principal right now. Never has one penny gone to principle on my loan.

My loan is 28 years, nine months old. My monthly payments are currently $529.84 each month. The only "good" thing about my situation is that I am able to deduct this monthly payment on my taxes every year.

J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
I hope you get to make it go away. I have always thought that it was a brand new way to over tax and haven't changed my mind. I reminds me of something. Years ago the Washington legislature was looking for more money. They discovered that the agency who issued licenses for hunting and fishing was bringing in waaay too much money. They also had enough money to hire lots of people to managed the hunting and fishing. Their solution to that one was to send the money for licenses to the general fund. Now they don't have enough money to hire the number of people they actually need. Its kinda like what the feds did to the IRS and now the Republicans are outraged that they actually increased their workers so that they can actually go after the 5% at the top.

This is yet another example of our elected slamming everybody BUT the top 5% This is also why, incidentally, we no longer have places to put the mentally ill, other than prison (and it seems that the prisons are, finally, starting to get rid of that job). There is a lot of current talk about the mentally ill but I have noticed they haven't actually done a damned thing to fix this problem. I suspect that will change as our crazies keep on getting guns and going after them.

I also understand that the upper 5% probably pay something like 60%, or more, of taxes being collected. They think they are paying too much, which is flat out lunacy. Its pretty hard to feel sorry for billionaires.

Last edited by jgw; 10/29/22 06:05 PM.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
...There is a lot of current talk about the mentally ill but I have noticed they haven't actually done a damned thing to fix this problem. I suspect that will change as our crazies keep on getting guns and going after them...
***off topic***

If a person is angry about voter fraud in 2020 when there is no evidence...they are probably not right in the head. If a person storms the U.S. Capitol on J6'21 looking to hang the VPOTUS and Speaker...they probably not right in the head.

***back to topic***

J
jgw Online Content
old hand
Online Content
old hand
J
In Seattle they are currently holding a crazy that threw a woman down some concrete stairs trying to kill her. He is insane and everybody agrees on that. However, that being said, they are currently paying him 250.00 a day to stay in jail until there is room for him in the remaining place, in the state to put the insane. The only other choice was to turn him loose so he could try and kill somebody else.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...snt-receive-mental-health-treatment.html

I kinda thought that might have got the state politicians to do something about the problem. Nope, nada! Apparently the reason for the daily payment is to flag the problem and also because he does not belong in jail he belongs in a place to get help. That is a huge step forward!

I also suspect every other state has, exactly, the same problems in that we seem to have A LOT of crazies currently manning the streets. Its really time to fix this one. Oh, almost forgot, we also, nationally, don't have enough shrinks to deal with mental problems as well. One of the real problems is that sending the insane to prisons has been the solution for, at least, 20 years. Washington seems to be ahead of that curve but it also means that many state continue with prisons instead of help.

I also believe that its really time to start getting the needed university graduates to staff the nation. We are short of doctors, engineers, shrinks, and some others. How about using one we used to have and Canada still does. Get them into universities and, when they graduate, to goto work for gov to do what needs to be done for a few years and then they are forgiven any education debt afterwards.

Last edited by jgw; 10/30/22 06:45 PM.
1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Tally of homeless veterans fell 11%, biggest drop in 5 years

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of veterans in the United States experiencing homelessness dropped by 11% since 2020, the biggest decline in more than five years, the Biden administration reported Thursday.

There were 33,136 homeless veterans in January of this year, compared with 37,252 in 2020, according to the Point-in-Time count conducted by the departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development as well as the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/tally-of-homeless-veterans-fell-11-biggest-drop-in-5-years

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Amy Coney Barrett denies request to...iveness plan but program remains blocked

Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett on Friday once again denied a request to challenge President Joe Biden’s student loan forgiveness plan, but her brief order will not change the status quo.

As things stand, there are several pending lawsuits in play, and the Biden administration already is temporarily blocked from canceling student debt.

Experts believe that one challenge – brought by six states – will likely eventually make it to the high court because it has the fewest procedural hurdles. That case is currently before the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which has issued an administrative stay of the program while it considers the states’ request for a preliminary injunction.
The argument against the six AG lawsuit against Student Loan forgiveness is that borrowers are not obligated to stay with the lender - in these cases, the lenders are states with state-run student loan programs. A borrower can have another bank or loan company can buy that loan and the state's student loan program will lose on that interest anyway. There really is no merit to the the AG's lawsuit.

The only reason why these states got into the student loan business in the first place is because of the money to be made from the interest from the loan. It certainly wasn’t to help anyone but themselves.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard