WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
They have ample evidence without Pence's testimony. Meadows was way more involved than Pence, and he's going to sing like a bird to avoid a 20+ year sentence. If he does not make a deal, he's still going to be in prison LONG after Trump is dead, for nothing.

The one thing that would insure this never happens again is not to put conspirators in prison. It's holding a 14th amendment hearing and disqualifying all the insurectionists and their supporters from ever holding office again. That would keep us a democratic republic for the next 100 years.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
2 members like this: NW Ponderer, logtroll
L
veteran
veteran
L
It’s classic ConROT that so many Conservatives, who claim to be Christians, think so poorly of Carter, who in my opinion was the most Christian of all the Presidents.

I am not one who thinks that religion of any kind is a rational or good thing (believing in an impossible and factless fantasy creation as a basis for being a good person makes no sense to me). But Jimmy actually gave Christianity a good name by being a truly good person. He would have been that even without his religious facade.

Pence is not a good Christian, and not a very good person - kind of an empty zombioid lamely hoping for “greatness”. Not much appeal there for anyone, not even brand name Christians.

Trump’s appeal is still much of a mystery to me, and he makes it glaringly obvious that for most of the flock, hypocrisy and gullibility is the Lord’s will.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
veteran
veteran
They have ample evidence without Pence's testimony
That was WSJ's opinion. What they have is testimony from secondary players. None of the principles have come forward with damning testimony. They all took the legal obstruction path.

Meadows was way more involved than Pence, and he's going to sing like a bird to avoid a 20+ year sentence. If he does not make a deal, he's still going to be in prison LONG after Trump is dead, for nothing.
Yeah and lots of talking legal pundits assured the public Weisselberg would be a talking parrot, and yet he fell on his sword and is languishing in Rikers, so I am not so convinced any of the principle coup conspirators will provide meaningful testimony. Check out people like Navarro and Eastman. They both continue to maintain their planks of the plot were legal and justified.

It's holding a 14th amendment hearing and disqualifying all the insurectionists and their supporters from ever holding office again
Sounds good but of all of these candidates who ran for office and were involved in the attack on the capitol or involved as low level participants in the coup, only one was removed from candidate qualification lists. The favorite legal response was "I can't remember". And no one is interested in bringing current members of Congress before any ethics or legal panel to expose their involvement in the coup.

Basically a large number of Republicans supported an insurrection which failed and received no legal consequences for their actions and yet are considered heroes for the cause in their own party. Now they will have internal armed support from members of Congress the next time insurrectionists assault the Capitol.

Nope. I see no reason for celebration. Even if Smith can bring a compelling, incontrovertible case before the public, the insurrectionists have and will become even more brazen and emboldened to pursue the path of non-peaceable transition of power. THE BASE of the Republican Party has leveraged their position to extort those who lack the integrity to face them and stand up for Democracy. This is not a good look for Democracy and it doesn't bode well as to it's health.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

1 member likes this: pdx rick
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On the other hand, taking the 5th means you believe you committed a crime. Would they risk it all at a trial, or would they fold and get a much reduced sentence for cooperation. We shall see, but probably not until some of them are indicted. Coming soon to a courtroom near you.

All the privilege claims so far are batting zero, including ones that get to the Supreme Court.

veteran
veteran
Here's the problem. Suppose I plead the 5th. Do you have any evidence that I had in point of fact committed a crime? If no, then there would be no recourse on your part, if yes then you wouldn't need my testimony regarding my actions.

I believe that is precisely the problem prosecutors have with any Trump investigations. Unless the principles admit to their illegal actions, then I suspect there is not much a prosecutor can do, except try and extort testimony. But as we have seen all the principles involved with Trump have fallen on their swords to protect Trump. All that is left is circumstantial evidence of a crime. Is it enough to convince a jury? I don't know. This is precisely why I believe any prosecutor who brings charges had better have an iron clad case and a truly objective jury (one without any MAGA-heads).

Examples of non-objective juries would include the Senate during impeachment proceedings. Had the defendant been any one except Trump, that defendant would have been convicted in both cases. But because Senate Republicans had to placate THE BASE, they were compelled to acquit.

The Republican base is the most powerful group of people in America. In the next election THE BASE will have an inside man so to speak, with an armed contingent of accomplices in the House. I'll let the reader's imagination do the rest.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
I'll let the reader's imagination do the rest.
Been there. Done that. Do not like the end result!!

Good doesn't always win!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But as we have seen all the principles involved with Trump have fallen on their swords to protect Trump. All that is left is circumstantial evidence of a crime. Is it enough to convince a jury? I don't know. But as we have seen all the principles involved with Trump have fallen on their swords to protect Trump. All that is left is circumstantial evidence of a crime. Is it enough to convince a jury? I don't know.

This is always the case in RICO prosecutions. It would not be a RICO prosecution if witnesses didn't try to cover for each other. In this case, they have all those emails, text messages, and paper documents. Those are actual evidence, not testimony not eye witness accounts. People greatly overrate testimony: Co-conspirators lie. Eye witnesses make false identifications by accident. But there is a mountain of hard evidence. Like a taped phone call in Georgia. Like forged "electoral results" sent to the feds. Like the documents Haba sent to the DOJ swearing under penalty of perjury that all government records had been returned. Like all those bank, insurance company, and tax records Trump sent to other people in order to commit bank, insurance, and tax fraud. He even filed fraudulent tax returns with both New York and the IRS. Filing a fraudulent state tax return is a different crime than filing a fraudulent federal tax return, so he can be tried for both.

Maybe a corrupt Supreme Court will overturn his federal convictions, but his New York convictions would have to be overturned by the New York Supreme Court or pardoned by the New York governor. Not a chance.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Pence's hypocrisy: “I think the American people deserve my story” and yet he will fight the grand jury subpoena all the way to the Supreme Court. On ridiculous legal grounds, so his chance of getting away with it is very slim. This is nothing but an attempt to placate Trump's base, for when Trump is convicted and Pence runs in 2024.

I think he'll tell all in court, as soon as he has a legal excuse. And he's too religious to lie, not to mention Trump tried to get him killed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard