WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Honcho
old hand
OP Offline
Honcho
old hand
Gerald Ford was about the only ex-president I know who was pretty much private in his final years. Part of that, I think, came from doubts that continued over his decision to pardon Nixon).

Jimmy Carter's after-president years were more productive and popular than his single term. His passing will be sad. I had been hyper-critical of his presidency in print but praised his work on Habit for Humanity and his other human rights activities.

Doug

It is the role of a newspaperman to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
-- Finley Peter Dunne
2 members like this: rporter314, pdx rick
enthusiast
enthusiast
Ex-presidents are usually very quiet. One never heard from Reagan, but he had Alzheimer’s. Both Bush’s have also remained quiet. You don’t see either Bill Clinton or Obama jumping in front of the cameras either. Nixon wrote a lot of books. Then under the radar, a lot of president talked to him and asked his advice concerning foreign policy.

Jimmy Carter, I think got a bum rap because of the misery index. I don’t think he was as bad as a lot of folks make him out to be. He is the best ex-president I ever seen in my lifetime. Then there’s Trump who just can’t let go. Following Nixon and Ford, Jimmy may have been way too honest. He is the only president to have admitted to having seen a UFO.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/carter-files-report-on-ufo-sighting

Yes, it will be a sad day when Jimmy passes.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
2 members like this: rporter314, Jeffery J. Haas
enthusiast
enthusiast
Doug Thompson tweeted this: “Not all Democrats happy if Biden seeks a second term. Many Dems feel Biden has accomplished a lot in his first term, but a growing number want someone younger and less hesitant in the White House after 2024.”

As your numbers guy, let me back that up. Only 24% of all Americans want Biden to run for a second term, 58% do not. Although 43% of Democrats want Biden to run again in 2024, 34% do not with the rest undecided. It worse when it comes to independents, swing voters, the election deciders, 17% want Biden to run again, 59% say no. Question 25. Now if you want to compare those who don’t want Biden to run again to those who don’t want Trump to run, go to Question 26.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/ctq2ajcu3n/econTabReport.pdf

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
77% of what respondence? Link please.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
The entire sentence IS the link. Whenever font is blue, that means it's a link. smile

( You mean all this time, whenever you've read various posts of mine, you never knew that I back-up what I state by making the link a part of the sentence structure? )

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
That’s correct Rick. Now You’re talking primary here, which 77% of a sitting president’s party backing Biden over an unknown is normal. Big difference between wanting a sitting president not to run again and backing a sitting president in his party primaries if he does. Here’s RCP’s Democratic Primary numbers which includes almost everyone the polls can think of running.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...cratic_presidential_nomination-7550.html

Even so, Biden has a huge lead. If Biden announces he’s running again, if I were to vote in the Georgia Democratic Primary, I’d vote for Biden over all the rest of those listed on RCP average polling. Now that doesn’t mean that I definitely want a fresh, young face to run on the Democratic side, not Biden. But I’d still vote for Biden in the Democratic Primary if he runs again.

You really have two different questions here, 1. Do you want Biden to run again. 2. If Biden runs again, would you vote for him in the Democratic primary. Like me, one can answer NO to question 1 and YES to question 2. We have apples with question 1 and oranges with question 2.

But thankyou for pointing out that you include the link in your sentence. I didn’t know that.

veteran
veteran
I think what should be more than transparent now is just how powerful the Republican BASE is. I know of no other group of people in America who weld so much power they can dictate what a "news" organization presents, or intimidate elected officials into obsequious fealty to Trump.

Is there anyone left who has not considered the very real possibility should these racist gangsters lose another election just what will they do. Members of the House now can carry weapons on the floor. Most of them are fervent believers in the "stolen election". When the insurrectionists come I predict Republican House members will join the fray and topple our Democracy.

If you still have your head in the sand of "it can't happen in America" .... open your eyes!!!!

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
If Biden runs again there is a very good chance that it will kill him. I know something about being aged. Being president seems to whiten the hair and grind down the subject. That being said this will also mean that the Democrats will have the first female president. Since I cannot vote Republcan, and will vote Democratic, I suspect it won't be all that bad of a deal.

Should mention that my problem is voting for a Republican because it means 4 more years of utter lies by utter loones.

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgw
If Biden runs again there is a very good chance that it will kill him. I know something about being aged. Being president seems to whiten the hair and grind down the subject. That being said this will also mean that the Democrats will have the first female president. Since I cannot vote Republcan, and will vote Democratic, I suspect it won't be all that bad of a deal.

Should mention that my problem is voting for a Republican because it means 4 more years of utter lies by utter loones.

Several presidents have "died at the desk".
It might be that Biden has decided that the best way to finish the ride is to stay in the seat.
He is something of a motorhead, but he will never be allowed to just go for a leisurely cruise in his 1967 Corvette anymore...no president is allowed to drive by themselves on public roads after leaving office.

He reputedly loves fishing, also likely impossible without an entourage.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard