WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Former Atlanta mayor and judge said Trump's new lawyer doesn't mind going to trial, but he also negotiates plea deals. What sort of a plea deal would be acceptable to the DA? What sort of plea deal would be acceptable to Trump? Is there any intersection between the sets in a Venn diagram, or are they just circles on opposite sides of the graph? Considering Trump acts like a mob boss, getting other people to do his bidding, would the DA settle for less than cutting off that communication entirely?

Trump lives for that. Which is why I think pre-trial detention might just kill him or drive him totally insane.
One can only hope! laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Very interesting lawsuit filed in Michigan. Somebody is suing the Secretary of State to forbid her putting Trump's name on the ballot because of his 14th Amendment violation. This is a Writ of Mandamus, and Trump is not a party to it! It's between the suit filer and the SS. Trump can try intervening, but his position is much less solid than the similar suit in Florida where he is a named defendant. Apparently, the brief is extremely well written, and quotes a very respected conservative judge (member of the Federalist Society) who many conservative members of the Supreme Court either clerked for, or clerked for a judge that clerked for him. "Mention his name, and ears all perk up at the Supreme Court." Here is a YouTube video about it:

This one, as well as many other articles saying Trump is already disqualified, are coming from the right! So much for Trump's claim Biden is out to get him. Popok points out that the 14th Amendment says "No person shall be..." with no mention of a court conviction or legislation. It does specify exactly how that disqualification can be lifted, and it's not by court order or a law being passed. This bolsters these constitutional scholars claim that it is self-actuating.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
...many other articles saying Trump is already disqualified, are coming from the right!.
All of the grand jury witnesses testifying against Trump are Republican. But to hear Rwing media tell it, it's ol' Joe and corrupt Democrats going after the poor orange victim...Trump. laugh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think the legal niceties and intricacies of the various indictments are fascinating. I've read most of almost all of them. I think they bracket the behavior nicely - encompassing actions before, during, and after the Trump residency - and are both laser-focused (the DC/Florida indictments) and broad (the Georgia indictment).

91 separate felony counts.

There is, in my humble opinion, almost no chance that Trump will beat all of these charges, and the minimum sentence he will receive is 5 years. Whether he will ever serve that time is an indictment of the system, rather than a comment on the merit of the charges.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
We know his passport was taken because he couldn't go to Scotland for a recent PGA golf tournament at his own golf course. He had to "stay" in the U.S.

The poor criminal thing... laugh

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think his opportunity to flee is very nearly closed to him. Jack Smith just filed a brief with Judge Chutkan saying that Trump continues to contaminate the jury pool every day, despite being warned explicitly against that by the judge. If she throws him into pre-trial detention, then his flight chances are zero. I don't think revocation of bail is appealable, either.

2 members like this: pdx rick, NW Ponderer
veteran
veteran
I should point out the obvious .... jury nullification. It appears from Fulton Co Special Grand Jury Report, there was one juror who consistently voted not to indict anyone.

Jury nullification is real and will be a consideration when Trump goes to trial.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Jury nullification is not important in Grand Juries because they need a simple majority to indict. So prosecutors are not so worried about it. They might do a more thorough investigation of potential jurors for a trial jury. And jury nullification just leads to a mistrial, unless the nullifier can convince everybody else to vote Not Guilty. I'm sure Fani Willis would just retry the case, and do it very quickly.

Fani had an interesting brief on federal removal today: She pointed out the whole reason for it is so state prosecution can't interfere with federal employees trying to do their job. The actual statute does not mention "former employees" because state prosecution of former federal employees CAN'T interfere with their job, because they no longer have any federal job duties to perform! She said Congress writes laws with specific wording, and when they leave something out, it is because they meant to leave it out. Now that is a very originalist viewpoint!

This woman is amazing. Her briefs are very convincing. I particularly like it when she uses a defendant's own words against them. Very hard to impeach the source.

That's much like Kevin McCarthy saying he will begin an impeachment investigation against Biden without a whole House vote. But Trump's Office of Legal Counsel said back when Nancy started one of the Trump impeachments, that an impeachment investigation can only be started after a whole House vote. That opinion is still binding on the agencies Kevin would like to subpoena! Talk about "hoist with his own petard".

Which, contrary to common opinion, has nothing to do with being hung with your own rope. It's actually a quote from Hamlet, about a bomb maker blowing himself up.

veteran
veteran
ahhh ... You misinterpreted my jury nullification note. There was one juror on the special grand jury who consistently voted not to indict i.e. essentially what a juror would do in a trial nullification. The point was since we see it happening in a grand jury, we should expect it at trial. Your second point is correct, it only means there is a mistrial and should the prosecuting attorney or DA office decide they could pursue in another trial, which begs the question, how many mistrials could Trump get before a DA's office decides it could never get a conviction ?

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by rporter314
...how many mistrials could Trump get before a DA's office decides it could never get a conviction ?
Hopefully infinitely many. smile

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard