Yesterday, I wasted nearly a complete day of my life not buying a car. It was a very frustrating experience. Today has got me thinking about what it cost.

On average, in the United States, a male such as myself is gifted 27,072 days of life to do with as one will. Virtually everyone here has gotten more than that (the average goes up as one ages). Of course, the first 1000 days or so, most of us never remember. Until age 7, one is barely considered responsible enough to give them meaning - until day 2557, or thereabouts - one can consider them "lost" as far as having real agency over them (24,515 left). But real control doesn't happen until one reaches their majority at age 18, around day 6575, although maturity usually comes much later. A quarter of one's life has already passed! (Only 20,497 left!)

Most of us spend the next period of our lives trying to do meaningful things - education, work, building wealth, creating a family, raising kids, traveling, vacationing and the like. Hopefully those were fulfilling days. Some were, like my yesterday, mostly wasted. But I got to do a lot of things, gained experience, had adventures, built a life.

Now I've only got a few more than 4000 days, give or take, left. I have a burning desire to fill them with as much meaning as I can. I so have pep in my step, an adequate bankroll (thankfully), and the ability to make the most of them. Now, what can I plan for them? What plans do you have for yours?

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 01/27/24 07:26 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich