WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:42 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/08/24 02:32 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,925 my own book page
5,012,973 We shall overcome
4,192,673 Campaign 2016
3,791,956 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,263 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,086
Posts313,735
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Kaine
It's sad. I've been voting for the last 45 years. I don't recall ever voting FOR someone. I always seem to have to vote for the lessor of two evils. No one has ever thrilled me enough to actually vote FOR them.
Not me. I've been enthusiastic repeatedly, especially for Obama. I'm an enthusiastic Biden supporter. How one can look at the progress he's made and not want more of it just baffles me - economy, foreign policy, democratic norms, equality - all improved under Biden.

But, given the obvious evil on the other side, how is it a contest? It's not the lesser of, it's just evil versus "not evil".

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
K
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
K
IMO, this election is different than any other. I agree one side is evil and one side is not. But, most times, neither side is evil, just have different values.

I lean towards the left, so I would vote for Biden, but he is far from my ideal candidate. In some things, he is too far left on for me. Trump is totally out of the question so that will be a no vote there from me.

Good doesn't always win!
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Unique certainly. A former president vs. a sitting president. Only once in our history has that happened. 1892 when Grover Cleveland defeated the sitting president Benjamin Harrison. 2024 is also unique in that it is the second time that both major party presidential candidates are view much more negatively than positively by most Americans. 2016 was the previous election, Clinton 38% favorable, 56% unfavorable. Trump 36% favorable, 60% unfavorable. In every other election except two were both candidates viewed favorably by a majority of Americans, over 50% except in 1964, Goldwater at 43% favorable/47% unfavorable and again with Trump in 2020 43% favorable/56% unfavorable. But LBJ and Biden were viewed favorable by a majority of Americans.

2024 will become the second election in our history with both major party candidates seen by less than 50% favorable and higher than 50% unfavorable. Currently Biden is seen positively/favorable by 39% of all Americans, unfavorable by 55%. Trump at 41% favorable, 54% unfavorable.

This is how all Americans view both major party candidates at this time. This is why we have a quarter to a third of all Americans wanting, searching for another viable candidate other than the two major party candidates. Why do I point this out and do so constantly? I think everyone needs to know what is going on nationally, how all Americans feel, think, want or in this case of the rematch, don’t want. 64% of all Americans want other candidates according to a Harvard CAPS poll. This isn’t a feel-good election. It’s a very scary election.

Myself, I never voted for Trump and never would. He’s a scumbag to put it mildly. I’d vote for Atilla the Hun before I’d even think about voting for Trump. I don’t think Biden is the right candidate to defeat Trump, Biden gives Trump at least as of today a bit more than a 50-50 chance of regaining the white house. But that doesn’t mean I’m not in Biden’s corner as far as voting is concerned. I am. It’s just I think folks ought to know how all of America are viewing this election and are viewing both major party candidates.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This from Gallup explains the current election situation much better than I could ever do. It goes into depth.

Felonies, Old Age Heavily Count Against Candidates

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Few Americans willing to say they’d back a candidate charged with a felony
Nearly as many reluctant to vote for someone older than 80
Vast majority would back a woman, Hispanic adult, Catholic or Black adult

https://news.gallup.com/poll/609344...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
K
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
K
Even if a third party would get in that I would want to vote for, this election I think I would not be able to vote for them. I already think Trump will win if there is a third party candidate, and if I voted for a third party, it would help Trump get elected.

It creates quite the quandary to have someone that you would want to vote for, knowing that it would most likely cause a dictator to take control of the country and take our democracy away from us the people!

Good doesn't always win!
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If one is following this election based on the whole electorate one would find that most independents take this Trump would be a dictator or he’s out to destroy democrats as nothing more than campaign rhetoric, a vote for me negative attack ad. 59% of all Americans think the democrats are using this as a scare tactic. They’re not taking this seriously. We’re going to have an election in which most Americans do not want the sitting president reelected, where most Americans don’t want the former president to regain the white house. Where a majority of Americans are looking for someone other than Trump and or Biden. So far, it’s this simple.

To the question, If Donald Trump was the Republican nominee and Joe Biden the Democratic nominee, would you consider an independent moderate candidate running for the presidency in 2024 or not? 55% of all Americans answered yes which included 64% of independents, the election deciders. Keep in mind the question used the word consider which doesn’t mean they’d vote for this moderate independent. But it does show the total dissatisfaction with both major party choices.

With Biden it boils down to his age, the fear for his mental fitness, the perceived bad job he has done as president. With Trump it’s his legal problems, the fear he’s a threat to democracy, his mental stability, his overall obnoxious personality along with his vindictiveness. 61% of all Americans think this country needs a new president, but not Trump. I don’t think neither major party realizes how much their candidate is unwanted by most of America. Regardless of what the rest of America thinks, wants or don’t want, Biden will get my vote.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The country is in a sour mood when it comes to incumbents.

POLITICS - FEBRUARY 2, 2024 - U.S. Voters: Biden, Most in House Don't Deserve Another Term
38% say Biden, 24% say most members of Congress deserve reelection
55% say their own member of Congress is deserving of another term
Biden's reelect score worse than prior incumbents early in election year

https://news.gallup.com/poll/609602...nt=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
The country is in a sour mood when it comes to incumbents.

It's going to be in an even more sour mood when they realize that after all those endless months of
"STOP THE STEAL!!!" it comes down to this.
This can't be repeated enough.

True the Vote fails to reveal evidence of Georgia voting fraud claims

Allegation of ballot collection scheme amplified by ‘2000 Mules’

Bombastic claims of voting fraud made in the right-wing conspiracy movie “2000 Mules” sounded alarming, and Georgia election officials wanted to get to the bottom of it.

If there really was a massive plot to stuff ballot drop boxes and rig the 2020 presidential election, wouldn’t the conservative organization behind the allegation, True the Vote, help investigators prove it?
Instead, True the Vote said in a recent court filing that it doesn’t know the identity of its own anonymous source who told a story of a “ballot trafficking” scheme allegedly organized by a network of unnamed groups paying $10 per ballot delivered.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Interesting week politically from an election standpoint. First Manchin stated he won’t run for the presidency leaving no labels without a presidential candidate as Romney earlier said he wouldn’t either. Although No Labels has ballot access in at least 14 states, worth 123 electoral college votes: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota, and Utah. With signature gatherers have another 14 states in their sights between now and November. They’re left with no candidate with name recognition or experience. Their 3 biggest hopes, Manchin, Romney has said no, Hogan has opted to run for the senate in Maryland.

Then there is RFK Jr. whose campaign seems to be following apart. He has fallen from 22% in the polls at the end of December to 7% as of 14 Feb 2024. Trump 40, Biden 38, Kennedy 7, West 1, Stein 1. Compare the 14 Feb numbers to that of 28 Dec 2023, Trump 35, Biden 33, Kennedy 22, West 2, Stein 2. Seems voters are beginning to leave their support for a 3rd party candidate for choosing between the two major party candidates. The lesser of two evils choice or for the major party candidate they want to lose the least. Then there is this about age and indictments.

“Voters were asked if President Biden’s age raises serious doubts about voting for him in 2024, and separately if former President Donald Trump’s criminal indictments raise serious concerns about voting for him. Voters are nearly equally concerned: 58% say Biden’s age raises serious doubts in their minds about voting for the president and 42% say it is not a serious consideration of theirs, while 57% say Trump’s criminal indictments raise serious doubts in the mind about voting for Trump and 43% say it is not a serious consideration of theirs.

Among independent voters, 54% say Biden’s age raises serious doubts for them, while 61% say Trump’s criminal indictment raises serious doubts.
Within the candidates’ own parties, 45% of Democrats say Biden’s age raises doubts, while 30% of Republicans say the same of Trump’s indictments.”

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/f...against-trump-among-prominent-democrats/

Last edited by perotista; 02/17/24 12:59 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
Interesting week politically from an election standpoint. First Manchin stated he won’t run for the presidency leaving no labels without a presidential candidate as Romney earlier said he wouldn’t either. Although No Labels has ballot access in at least 14 states, worth 123 electoral college votes: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Dakota, and Utah. With signature gatherers have another 14 states in their sights between now and November. They’re left with no candidate with name recognition or experience. Their 3 biggest hopes, Manchin, Romney has said no, Hogan has opted to run for the senate in Maryland.

If we're honest with each other, and we ARE...

"No Labels" IS the "LABEL"...it's the House Wine of the Harlan Crow Estate and a couple of Facebook top execs.

So let's all, and by all I mean all of us in the United States, let's all stop kidding each other.
No Labels has labeled itself no matter how hard they try to put one over on the American people.

It's almost like Phoebe Buffay's twin sister Ursula on "Friends".

Are we really all just a bunch of Joey Tribianis?

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard