WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 04/26/24 04:59 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by Jeffery J. Haas - 04/26/24 03:02 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 04/24/24 04:33 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 04/24/24 02:19 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 04/18/24 05:56 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Trump and Satan. One and the same?
by pdx rick - 04/06/24 03:52 PM
Billionaires returning to Trump's cult
by jgw - 04/04/24 07:06 PM
Myths of Easter and other religious holidays
by pdx rick - 04/02/24 08:11 PM
Trump thinks he is the only god America needs
by Doug Thompson - 03/31/24 08:44 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,760 my own book page
5,012,164 We shall overcome
4,192,444 Campaign 2016
3,791,752 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,048 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,083
Posts313,680
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The American electorate is (my unscientific analysis, and I think I am somewhat generous) about 60% ignorant and stupid, the other 40% is divided among parties and independents who ARE at least somewhat knowledgeable of the issues.

So what drives people to make uninformed decisions? Well any number of things, but I want to address one of the more important and palpable ones, perception. As an example, when people compare the statistics (black and white, fixed, and without subjectivity), they would see Pres Biden has overseen relatively good economic times, and yet people think (perceive) Trump had a better economy. Can good PR work persuade people to acknowledge the fact? I don't know. I think it is hard when dealing with ignorance and stupidity, remember perception, these people perceived something and continue to believe it regardless if it is true or valid.

So this is the header to the actual question. If Pres Biden is seen by a large number of people (based on polling) as in cognitive decline or incapacity, should he remain the party candidate? Trump's cognitive abilities is a different issue. I only mention it as the "perception" is becoming a problem.

I have concluded he should either resign or drop his candidacy very soon. If the perception is large enough among independents, it could very easily swing the election to Trump. Remember it will only take low numbers of people in the swing states to determine this election. I see a plus for Pres Biden as his sacrifice would be, could be, viewed as one of the most noble gifts to a country, to allow someone who has a better chance of defeating the anti-Democratic forces championed by Trump. A sacrifice bigger than any one person.

His legacy would highlight his selflessness to save Democracy.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
I think it is almost too late for a new candidate. It's not too late yet to replace Biden with someone else, but soon!

And then, who would replace him? He would have been easier to replace in 2020. I think, anyone could have beaten Trump in 2020. It's just that it was Joe's turn in 2020. Funny how the 2020 primaries went so far with several candidates, then all of a sudden, the other 2 or 3 that were remaining, besides Biden, dropped out - leaving Biden the only candidate still standing.

Anyways, that was then, this is now. If you are paying attention, we are seeing that things are getting better under Biden. I think, although some of his ideals I am totally against, that he is doing a pretty good job and kept us out of a recession and we are heading in the right direction.

Who else could it be at this stage?

Good doesn't always win!
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bad PR is driving the current crop of vultures circling Biden right now, bad PR bought and paid for by MAGA megadonors, and also contributed to by willing hostile foreign actors like Putin.

But allow me to push a little Robert Reich:

The two cases — Trump retaining classified documents and Biden retaining them — are utterly different. Trump refused to turn over documents that had been subpoenaed and undertook other efforts to thwart investigators. Biden, on the other hand, did not willfully retain papers; he cooperated with investigators the moment the documents were found.

---Robert Reich

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Kaine
I think it is almost too late for a new candidate. It's not too late yet to replace Biden with someone else, but soon!

And then, who would replace him? He would have been easier to replace in 2020. I think, anyone could have beaten Trump in 2020. It's just that it was Joe's turn in 2020. Funny how the 2020 primaries went so far with several candidates, then all of a sudden, the other 2 or 3 that were remaining, besides Biden, dropped out - leaving Biden the only candidate still standing.

Anyways, that was then, this is now. If you are paying attention, we are seeing that things are getting better under Biden. I think, although some of his ideals I am totally against, that he is doing a pretty good job and kept us out of a recession and we are heading in the right direction.

Who else could it be at this stage?

Gavin Newsom.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
You have this - Overwhelming majority of Americans think Biden is too old for another term: POLL

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/overwhelming-majority-americans-think-biden-140000044.html

That’s dealing with the age issue of both Biden and Trump. You’re correct that the perception of Biden doing a bad job with the economy along with his overall job performance.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/economy

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

Worst for Biden is 63% of all Americans have doubts about Biden’s is mentally fit to serve as
President of the United States along with 41% who believe a vote for Biden is in reality a vote for Harris because Biden won’t survive another term in office.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/HHP_Jan24_KeyResults.pdf

That’s the bad news, the good news is Biden is still basically in a tie with Trump. Which in my opinion says more about Trump than Biden? I believe almost any other democrat would be trouncing Trump.

Two candidate race - https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/trump-vs-biden
Three candidate race - https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/trump-vs-biden-vs-kennedy
Five candidate race - https://www.realclearpolling.com/po...ump-vs-biden-vs-kennedy-vs-west-vs-stein

I think it’s too late to replace Biden. He’ll have to do old age and with all the mental doubts. Trump has his legal problems along with a very obnoxious, uncouth, rude personality that turns off many voters. Trump and Biden need each other. It’s the only way one or the other can win is by having the other one be his opponent in the general election.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I have to disagree about 2020. I think the democrats went with Biden because he was a safe bet to defeat Trump. Biden was basically everyone’s second choice, but the democrats and independents coalesced around Biden. He had a reputation as a moderate democrat, he was also viewed by most independents as a transition president, someone in-between Trump and whoever came next. Transition presidents don’t run for reelection. People are tired of Biden; they want a change. They want someone younger, more energetic, not someone who looks old, weak and frail. They don’t want Biden reelected, but they also don’t want Trump to regain the white house. You have approximately 30% of all Americans today stating they vote third party or stay home, not vote at all if the rematch occurs. This is something to be very worried about. You had 23 million more voters go to the polls in 2020 than in 2016. Biden won these new voters 64-32 over Trump. It’s these voters who didn’t vote in 2016 but voted in 2020 who gave Biden his 7 plus million popular vote win. Those who voted in both 2016 and 2020, Biden and Trump were in a 49-49% tie.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2020/exit-polls/president/national-results

As it stands today, those new voters who didn’t vote in 2016, but voted in 2020 aren’t going over to Trump, they’re going if the polls are correct to third party candidates or not voting at all. Even if Trump doesn’t get a single vote from this group, those votes are subtracted from Biden. Which give us the basic tie we’re in today taking the MOE into consideration.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by perotista
I have to disagree about 2020. I think the democrats went with Biden because he was a safe bet to defeat Trump. Biden was basically everyone’s second choice, but the democrats and independents coalesced around Biden. He had a reputation as a moderate democrat, he was also viewed by most independents as a transition president...

Agree with this part of your post.

- Largest jobs increase in history?
- 4.7% Black unemployment - Lowest ever?
- 3.4% US unemployment -- 50-year low?
- Job gains in healthcare, restaurants, construction

Ol' Joe has signed more legislation affecting everyday Americans than any other POTUS in 80 years.

- Signed Inflation Reduction Act
- Signed Bipartisan Safer Communities Act
- Signed the CHIPS and Science Act
- Signed the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.?
- Signed Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics (PACT)?
- Signed Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
True Rick, but perceptions either drives voters to the polls as in 2020 or away from the polls as in 2016. Before Biden can continue to govern, he first must be reelected. Perceptions of the candidates drives how voters vote or whether they do or do not vote. Questions abound about both major party candidates, from an Emerson poll.

Voters were asked if President Biden’s age raises serious doubts about voting for him in 2024, and separately if former President Donald Trump’s criminal indictments raise serious concerns about voting for him. Voters are nearly equally concerned: 58% say Biden’s age raises serious doubts in their minds about voting for the president and 42% say it is not a serious consideration of theirs, while 57% say Trump’s criminal indictments raise serious doubts in the mind about voting for Trump and 43% say it is not a serious consideration of theirs.

Among independent voters, 54% say Biden’s age raises serious doubts for them, while 61% say Trump’s criminal indictment raises serious doubts.
Within the candidates’ own parties, 45% of Democrats say Biden’s age raises doubts, while 30% of Republicans say the same of Trump’s indictments.

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/f...against-trump-among-prominent-democrats/

Although I think, believe Biden will prevail over Trump, out there in the real world of politics, outside of the Democratic Party cocoon there are definite worries about Biden. I don’t think nothing can be done to quell those worries. It is what it is. Biden isn’t getting any younger. Biden was a very acceptable alternative to Trump in 2020. 23 million more voters went to the polls in 2020 than in 2016. Voter turnout for 2016, 54% using VAP, 62% in 2020. Biden won those new voters 64-32 over Trump. The question is will those voters go to the polls in 2024 or stay home as they did in 2016?

One last thing, in 2020 there was enthusiasm for Biden to get rid of Trump. That may not be the case for 2024 when most Americans don’t want either one to be their next president - The enthusiasm gap shadowing Biden

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/01/08/biden-enthusiasm-gap/

Take this for what’s it worth. It’s early, things can change, but I doubt it. Those worries will still be there in November, for both major party candidates. It is what it is and I think it’s time to recognize what is.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
In many cultures (Asian, Native American) the elderly are revered for their wisdom, and the younger generations do the work of the elderly's vision. Only in American culture is the elderly moved out of the way and ignored.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Link Copied to Clipboard