WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 04/26/24 04:59 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by Jeffery J. Haas - 04/26/24 03:02 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 04/24/24 04:33 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 04/24/24 02:19 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 04/18/24 05:56 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Trump and Satan. One and the same?
by pdx rick - 04/06/24 03:52 PM
Billionaires returning to Trump's cult
by jgw - 04/04/24 07:06 PM
Myths of Easter and other religious holidays
by pdx rick - 04/02/24 08:11 PM
Trump thinks he is the only god America needs
by Doug Thompson - 03/31/24 08:44 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,760 my own book page
5,012,164 We shall overcome
4,192,444 Campaign 2016
3,791,752 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,048 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,083
Posts313,680
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Honcho
old hand
OP Offline
Honcho
old hand
Demented Trump is taking America down with his madness

[Linked Image from capitolhillblue.com]
The madman who was, and again could be, president of the United States.

Every time Trump opens his toxic mouth, he proves that the man who is destined to be the GOP nominee for president (again) ptoves (even more) that he has lost what little was left of his rotting, mind.

By DOUG THOMPSON
February 1, 2024

Increasing demented actions by the disgraced, criminally-indicted former president Donald Trump is now bringing closer examination on whether or not he is suffering demencia.?In other words, the narcissistic psychopath has lost his mind.

Some could argue that losing a mind like Trump’s is no big thing but those who tought that suffered through four years of his first term and were ended by angry voterrs but does not anger still be storng enough to save this nation one more time?

Notes U.S. News & World Report:
[i]Baltimore psychologist John Gartner, a former professor at Johns Hopkins University and founder of “Duty to Warn,” a movement by medical professionals to draw attention to Trump’s cognitive health that dates back to Trump’s first year in office.

“If you walked into an emergency room in a psychotic state, the first question would be, ‘Who is the president of the United States?’ That’s literally on the psychiatric medical exam,” Gartner says, referring to Trump’s confusing Biden with Obama.

Gartner believes Trump – whose campaign did not respond to a request for comment – has “advanced dementia” and says the old “Goldwater Rule” does not apply here. That standard, which says medical professionals should not diagnose the mental health of someone they have not examined, was adopted by the American Psychiatric Association after a magazine explored whether 1964 GOP presidential nominee Barry Goldwater was mentally fit to be president.whether 1964 GOP presidential nominee Barry Goldwater was mentally fit to be president.

Donald Jurivich, chair of Geriatrics at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences, cautions against diagnosing someone with dementia without a medical exam.

Jurivich says he noticed differences in how former President Ronald Reagan behaved late in his presidency, and suspected Reagan had Alzheimer’s disease. “That proved over time to be correct,” Jurivich says. But “dementia is based on a loss of executive function, [and] there’s no way you can see that in a TV sound bite or a speech.”

Behavior associated with dementia, Jurivich notes, could also be the result of everything from thyroid dysfunction to high stress – the latter an obvious possibility for a man balancing a presidential campaign with court appearances for criminal and civil cases. Or, for that matter, a man running the nation and running for reelection.

In comments before his followers and media, Trump has confused former South Carolina governor Nikki Haley, his appoint as Unilted Nations Ambassdor duirng his first term, with fomrer Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and claimed he lost his re-election effort in 2020 to Barack Obama insterad of Joe Biden.

In a wandering rant, he blamed Biden for requiring people to produce ID to buy a loaf of bread and says Biden and Democrats “enginered” the?91 felony criminak indictments he now faces even though the chgargers game from grand juries composed of Republicans and Democrats. He has lost nearly all of his appeals and claims before judges appointed by himself or other Republican presidents.

Political activist and lawyer George Conway left the Republican party bercause of Trump,m who has turned the party into a cullt controlled by white supremacists,?racists, hate traitors and fake evangelicals.

Trump is “a very sick puppy,” Conway told MSNBC recently,

“Trump may be mad as a box of frogs with a maniacal energy that powers his campaign, but he has not been regarded as doddery or borderline senile, writes Sarah Baxter in the London Evening Standard. She adds: “Until now.”

Baxter continues:

Then, in New Hampshire on January 19, Trump fuelled speculation about his mental powers by talking gibberish about Nikki Haley, his last-remaining rival for the Republican presidential nomination. He repeatedly blamed her for the chaos at the Capitol on January 6, 2021, when she was nowhere near the riot. “Nikki Haley was in charge of security,” Trump affirmed at a rally. “We offered her 10,000 people, soldiers, National Guard, whatever they want. They turned it down. They don’t want to talk about that.” He meant Nancy Pelosi, the former Democratic speaker of the House of Representatives, who was not in charge of security either, by the way.

“As Donald Trump’s rhetoric and behavior become more extreme, the question arises, is he unhinged or a fascist? Probably both, but it doesn’t really matter: he’s a menace—and more of one every day. The evidence for this conclusion is arrayed in the statements by The Donald himself,” says Mort Kondracke.

Writes Robert Kagan in The Washington Post:

Let’s stop the wishful thinking and face the stark reality: There is a clear path to dictatorship in the United States, and it is getting shorter every day. In 13 weeks, Donald Trump will have locked up the Republican nomination. In the RealClearPolitics poll average (for the period from Nov. 9 to 20), Trump leads his nearest competitor by 47 points and leads the rest of the field combined by 27 points. The idea that he is unelectable in the general election is nonsense — he is tied or ahead of President Biden in all the latest polls — stripping other Republican challengers of their own stated reasons for existence. The fact that many Americans might prefer other candidates, much ballyhooed by such political sages as Karl Rove, will soon become irrelevant when millions of Republican voters turn out to choose the person whom no one allegedly wants.

For many months now, we have been living in a world of self-delusion, rich with imagined possibilities. Maybe it will be Ron DeSantis, or maybe Nikki Haley. Maybe the myriad indictments of Trump will doom him with Republican suburbanites. Such hopeful speculation has allowed us to drift along passively, conducting business as usual, taking no dramatic action to change course, in the hope and expectation that something will happen. Like people on a riverboat, we have long known there is a waterfall ahead but assume we will somehow find our way to shore before we go over the edge. But now the actions required to get us to shore are looking harder and harder, if not downright impossible.

The magical-thinking phase is ending. Barring some miracle, Trump will soon be the presumptive Republican nominee for president. When that happens, there will be a swift and dramatic shift in the political power dynamic, in his favor. Until now, Republicans and conservatives have enjoyed relative freedom to express anti-Trump sentiments, to speak openly and positively about alternative candidates, to vent criticisms of Trump’s behavior past and present. Donors who find Trump distasteful have been free to spread their money around to help his competitors. Establishment Republicans have made no secret of their hope that Trump will be convicted and thus removed from the equation without their having to take a stand against him.[Linked Image from capitolhillblue.com][Linked Image from i0.wp.com]
Are things that bad in America? Not really. They are worse.

We’ve been warned

It is the role of a newspaperman to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
-- Finley Peter Dunne
2 members like this: Jeffery J. Haas, pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
For eleven years, showrunner Mark Burnett beamed a Hollywood-made for TV character of a savvy, strong business leader into our homes every Thursday Night as a television reality show named "The Apprentice."

In reality, the host of the show was a failed, weak businessman with six business bankruptcies under his belt even then. Trump the successful businessman is a Hollywood reality TV-show concoction. Rightwingers thought it was all real.

Trump's tenure as POTUS was no better. Trump, a racist at heart who couldn't stand an intellgent, talented, black man POTUS named Barack Obama, overshadowing him. Trump did everything he could to undermine Obama's legacy by attempting to erase programs and policies of Obama's time as POTUS.

Trump as POTUS was a blatant vulgarian, an incessant prevaricator, and a dangerous world leader who was ousted at the end of his term. During his term, Trump was incapable of delivering a sensitive, unifying speech on anything. During COVID, Trump's administration made the C19 crisis exponentially worse than it should have been. Trump’s failures of governance during COVID greatly outweigh the positive steps he took during that time in scope and number.

While POTUS and shortly thereafter his term ended, Trump committed many crimes that he believes today he is immune from. Trump's attorney's argued before that 11th Appellate Court that a POTUS could direct Seal Team Six to assassinate a political rival and be immune from proscecuation. THAT is pretty sick thinking, but that is how Trump thinks.

Currently, the GOP is looking to put this criminal incompetent orange clown back into Office, validating the fact that today’s GOP is little more than a criminal protection racket to shelter one man, Donald Trump.

Joe Biden, the man who replaced Trump as POTUS, is running for re-election. Biden has done a good job as POTUS. Ol' Joe has signed more legislation into office than most POTUS' in the past 40 years. But Joe is not without flaws. Cruelty and dehumanization of others is not any of Joe's flows. Those flaws belong to Trump and are Donald Trump’s modus operandi.

Trump and Biden are set for a re-match in November 2024. America's democracy will not stand if the wanna-be authoritarian dictator, Donald Trump, who demands loyalty to him from those surrounding him, gets back into office.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

1 member likes this: Jeffery J. Haas
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Happy to see you back posting at the Rant, Doug. smile

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
In reality, the host of the show was a failed, weak businessman with six business bankruptcies under his belt even then. Trump the successful businessman is a Hollywood reality TV-show creation. Rightwingers thought it was all true.

In reality, there IS NO REALITY in reality TV.
Anybody who can't keep that front and center in their mind when it comes to the slime oozing out of their flat screen doesn't deserve to be taken seriously.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Honcho
old hand
OP Offline
Honcho
old hand
Good to be back, Rick and thanks for your help here in RR. As info for readers,, I suffered a pair of stokes in late 2023 -- one in October and a worse one in November. The second one came with a fall that fractured nine bones in my left hand, fingers and wrist and I am suffering weakness on my left side that requires extensive rehab. Docters are confident that I will fully recover, but it will take a while. My thanks to RR members our CHB readers fork keeping us on the web and publishing.

--Doug

It is the role of a newspaperman to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
-- Finley Peter Dunne
1 member likes this: pdx rick
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Doug Thompson
...Docters are confident that I will fully recover...

Godspeed with your physical recovery Doug. You have always overcome obstacles and I admire that about you.

You're VERY welcome Doug for the help. I love Reader Rant and equally love being a participant. You created this site Doug. You had the foresight for bringing a group of strangers together to discuss politics of the day way back 30 years ago in 1994. CHB and RR are YOUR vision.

Recently on another blog, Emptywheel, there was a discussion about the oldest blog on the 'net. No one in that group really knew. I proudly chimed in and introduced "newspaper man" Doug Thompson and CHP and RR to the group in the comment's section. A moderator there confirmed what I stated by citing CHB on Mudrack. smile

(Emptywheel focuses on national security issues and a lot of legal beagles offer analysis there).

If it were not for journalists like Doug, we Americans would never know what liberties are being taken from us. Indeed, journalists telling the truth is revolutionary. Thank you for CHB and RR, Doug.

2 members like this: NW Ponderer, Jeffery J. Haas
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It frequently astounds me that so many people remain wilfully blind to the threat that is Donald Trump and the toxicity that he injects, daily, into American politics and policy.

MAGA is a pestilence, and merely a neo-fascist movement. It is responsible for the dysfunction of Congress, corruption of the judiciary and disruption of foreign affairs. Project 2025 is a road map to an authoritarian takeover.

When GW Bush was anointed President despite having lost the popular vote (and when I joined RR), I knew we were in trouble, but I didn't recognize just how close to disaster we were. But, then we stumbled into 2016 and were saddled with Trump. It would be irresponsible and un-American to not constantly raise the alarm.

Now, of course, the proximity to disaster is ever present, yet we are still burdened with these blatantly undemocratic institutions, like Heritage Foundation, Federalist Society, Fox News, MAGA and, of course, SCOTUS. The corruption is overt.

I was not initially an advocate for Biden, but I've been pleasantly surprised by his steadfast commitment to improving the United States and how much he has accomplished. We're on the right path, and he decidedly put us there. Sadly, we're a short-sighted people and have forgotten the unmitigated disaster Trump's White House tenancy was. I fear we're walking into a disaster from which our great union - and the world - will struggle to recover.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 02/27/24 12:18 PM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
It frequently astounds me that so many people remain wilfully blind to the threat that is Donald Trump and the toxicity that he injects, daily, into American politics and policy.

I was not initially an advocate for Biden, but I've been pleasantly surprised by his steadfast commitment to improving the United States and how much he has accomplished. We're on the right path, and he decidedly put us there. Sadly, we're a short-sighted people and have forgotten the unmitigated disaster Trump's White Ho
use tenancy was. I fear we're walking into a disaster from which our great union - and the world - will struggle to recover.
Trump supporters are not willfully blind to Trump. They know full well Trump is all about fascist authoritarianism - and they want that. Make no mistake...THEY WANT THAT.

I have faith in our court system to deal with Trump and his MAGAts.

Decent Americans can no longer count on the GOP to help keep democracy. The GOP are all in on turning America into a fascist dictatorship with Christian-based laws. Literally handmaid tales come to life.

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
The Trump thing is strange to mi. I remember when he started up and it was strange even then. He has a history of failure. Virtually EVERYTHING he has ever touched has failed. There is, literally, virtually nothing he has started has not failed. The ONLY thing he has done well at is politics. He is doing well at politics because he can use the things he learned when he was in entertainment and the simple fact that the media gifted him with, again literally, exposure. They are, incidentally, still doing it although they have backed a little bit.

As I watch it all I have started to believe that our government is doing a seriously pitiful job of taking care of our so-called civilization. Ours is considerably different from most but there are serious people trying to change that one. There is a group, referred to as the "White Christian Citizens" which spent close to 60 years taking over the Republican party. They are, as far as I can tell, pretty much in charge. They are also now making very strange announcements. One recently pointed out that they were getting very close to getting rid of all this stuff that the Democrats think were so great. I watched a woman give a speech about turning the United States of America as a christian state ruled by themselves. I could list the list but why bother? The fact is that they bravely point out that our Constitution is old, tired and should go (amongst others) What makes it pretty interesting is that they get away with it and nobody says or does anything.

I watch TV quite a bit. When watching things politic those that favor the Democrats always spend a little time pointing out that Biden is simply, and basically, not telling anybody anything that will help him beat Trump. I see it every day and nothing changes! Today I noticed that he wants to give Israel more bombs to slaughter more civilians who's main sin is living in the land they have always had and that the UK and the UNITED STATES, stole from them so they would stop killing people in the UK. Recently Israel has backed off on the slaughter in favor of starving them out. This is costing him a lot of votes but, being the president, he has a right to just keep on with spending my taxes to make sure that the loon running Israel can keep it up. That one, incidentally, is kinda a minor Trump in that apparently he has been committed to prison for breaking laws but is also in charge and as long as he is in charge he doesn't have to goto prison. He is, basically, where we might be when Trump takes off. Its almost interesting that the man running Israel is, pretty much, like our own Trump. Each has their way but the basics are the same. Both are also proud of their actions. Sometimes I wonder just where Biden stands. He rarely stands up and says anything and when he does, its rarely something that might help himself. The man is a little like a child which has parents who are lousy parents and don't pay attention. The Democrats have the money, the capacity and everything else but the will to actually win an election. I think most of us want him to win but he is, simply, not giving a damn and doing what he pleases - again like a child with bad parent. I used to write him. Unlike my elected he never replies although my elected, whilst not covering the subject I wrote about they always ask for money thereby, at least, responding.

I have become convinced that the United States has a huge percentage of its population determined to behave as idiots. The biggest killer of our children are guns. Our response is clever, we make damned sure that everybody who wants one gets one. We do that because of our constitution which doesn't have one single word that supports our support of guns. We live in a VERY strange world. I wish us all the luck. If Trump wins my wife and I are trying to figure out whether we will goto Canada or Mexico. That being said, he should not win but given that we seem to have cleverly worked the miracle of stupidifying a good part of our population everything becomes possible?

I wish us all luck and really do hope that I am flat out wrong..............

Link Copied to Clipboard