WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
No rubbers for Trump
by Doug Thompson - 05/09/24 01:44 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:42 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by jgw - 05/08/24 05:37 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/08/24 02:32 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by Doug Thompson - 05/07/24 02:06 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 15 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,928 my own book page
5,012,974 We shall overcome
4,192,674 Campaign 2016
3,791,957 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,265 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,087
Posts313,736
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
L
veteran
veteran
L
The problem with humans is we need government to avoid total chaos.

The problem with government is humans.

It doesn't appear that getting rid of either one is an option...

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
1 member likes this: perotista
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I have been told that there are actually Republicans of the old stripe and have a history of working with Democrats to pass stuff. I read something, the other day, about some of the Democrats who seem to be a crazy as the republicans in the congressional house when it came to anything, including working with Republicans.

I do know that they were able to create a bill on the southern border stuff that Trump stopped (given this seems to never to noted by the Democrats hopefully somebody will remember this). But, other than that, they can't seem to be able to do anything and I wonder how much of that problem is Democratic as well as Republican.

Just wondering.............

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
What has the current the R-House done for the American people? NOTHING!! mad

Oh sure, the R-House has held hearings on Hunter's laptop and Hunter's d*ck pics (MTG entered the pics into the Congressional record), and held hearings on impeaching ol' Joe based on Russian disinformation. Rs seem to think all of this is worth a $172K public-funded annual salary.

Rs expecting to hold the majority after the 2024 election are sadly mistaken.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

veteran
veteran
How would you say Trump is unfit to be dogcatcher, much less president, than to repeat what he has already made public?

It;s not about policy. Trump is unfit to occupy the WH. How could you make that clear. You have to get personal. He has been overseer of numerous scams which have been exposed. He has been indicted so many times I lost count. Of those he has been convicted as a fraudster and as a sexual predator. Thes are the in your face qualities which do not rely on ... they're coming to get him ... they want to keep him from being president .... etc.

What is his agenda? Retribution for perceived criminal behavior by the institutions of law i.e FBI, CIA, the courts, DoJ, etc.Anyone not agreeing with him will be indicted by HIS PERSONAL DoJ. He said it.

You call it negative personal attacks ... I say when it is true it is not negative, but accurate, and honest. That the American electorate can not figure this out, says a lot about how ignorant and stupid they are, and your posts simply prove my point.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I agree that Trump isn’t fit to be dogcatcher. The problem is this election is in the eyes of many as much about Biden as it is about Trump. Many, 56% of all Americans, 61% of independents think Biden has done a very poor job as president. That’s their disapproval of the job he’s done in their eyes.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

They think Biden is too old to be an effective president for another term, that he’s losing it mentally. 73% of all Americans believe this while 42% say the same about Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/mar/03/poll-biden-too-old

Then there’s the fact many Americans feel they were personally better off under Trump than today, under Biden. It isn’t that they want Trump back in the white house, they don’t. But they don’t want Biden reelected either. Roughly 30% of all Americans feel this way which includes 37% of independents.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/HHP_Mar2024_KeyResults.pdf

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...favorable-views-of-both-biden-and-trump/

Biden’s president today, not Trump. That is probably the biggest factor here. In 2020 most had nothing to compare Biden to, he wasn’t Trump, that would do nicely. Today, with this rematch, they’re comparing presidencies. Comparing their own situation under both. Hence Biden has fallen down to Trump levels, 57% of all Americans including 61% of independents have a negative view of Biden, unfavorable. Trump 56% of all Americans view him negatively, unfavorably including the same percentage, 61% of independents.

https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/econTabReport_mTlzQOB.pdf

Personally, why these numbers. I think, believe Biden was the wrong candidate for the democrats to run against Trump. That almost any other democrat would be trouncing Trump. 2020 was all about Trump and his 4 years as president. He lost big. 2024 is about Biden and his 4 years as president as it is about Trump. This year it’s about both, not only Trump. That I think is very hard for the democrats to understand. If not impossible. For them, it’s all about Trump, for the rest of America, it’s about both.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
K
enthusiast
enthusiast
K
Most independents don’t pay any or very little attention to politics until an election nears. They’re about as far from being a political junkie as one can get.
Just curious. Is there a poll that shows what percentage of each party pays attention to politics? It seems to me that all citizens pay little attention to politics.
I'm just wondering if there is polling showing one specific party that pays more attention than the others?
I know that I, as an independent (no offense taken), must be a minority because I pay very close attention to the politics and am pretty much opposite of everything else you say characterizes an independent.

Good doesn't always win!
veteran
veteran
The problem is this election is in the eyes of many as much about Biden as it is about Trump
You type problem ... I type stark contrasting alternatives.

Most of your posts simply corroborate my contention the American electorate is ignorant and stupid. This should not be a problem making a decision on the fate of Democracy in America. One candidate has made it clear Democracy is for weaklings and other scum like liberals, while the other offers Democratic choices. You can disagree on policies but you can't consider the Death of Democracy as a viable choice.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
It is what it is. The difference is I look at the entire picture, the entire forest to gauge what is going on and how all Americans are looking at this upcoming not wanted rematch. How many Americans do you think are buying this death to democracy and by who? Look at question 49. Do you think U.S. democracy and rule of law will be safe –
Only if Joe Biden wins 34%
Only if Donald Trump wins 33%
It will be safe if either wins 13%
It will not be safe either way 20%

https://www.scribd.com/document/710089283/cbsnews-20240303-1-SUN#1fullscreen=1

The bottom line is that both side believes only their side can save democracy and the rule of law, that democracy and the rule of law is kaput if the other side wins. But more telling is the 20%, a fifth of all Americans who think democracy and the rule of law is dead regardless of who wins.

To run a winning campaign, one needs to understand and know what the entire electorate is thinking and feeling, not just a quarter of it. One needs to adjust and if need be to change tactics, rhetoric in accordance to existing realities among the entire spectrum of all voters out there. Flexibility is an asset, rigidness is not. End of advice.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
Its true, the Republicans in the house have not done well. Still, there are, we are told, 5 or 6 Republicans of the old school still there. So, in theory, the Democrats can talk to those 5 and see if they want to vote with them. If so they just might be able to pass some legislation. On the other hand that may not work. I have no idea how many total must ok a bill. 218 Republicans and 213 Democrats. Oh, BOTH sides have folks that have gone to the extreme in their zeal. My basic question is whether either side has the capacity to work with anybody in the other side even if they are willing. I have read that there are Dems that will not work with the Republicans no matter what, same as the Republicans.

I have no idea if this would work or not. I know there are several Republicans giving up and leaving the house. Now, if the Dems can get those seats...........

jgw #348331 04/08/24 07:14 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by jgw
Its true, the Republicans in the house have not done well. Still, there are, we are told, 5 or 6 Republicans of the old school still there. So, in theory, the Democrats can talk to those 5 and see if they want to vote with them. If so they just might be able to pass some legislation. On the other hand that may not work. I have no idea how many total must ok a bill. 218 Republicans and 213 Democrats. Oh, BOTH sides have folks that have gone to the extreme in their zeal. My basic question is whether either side has the capacity to work with anybody in the other side even if they are willing. I have read that there are Dems that will not work with the Republicans no matter what, same as the Republicans.

I have no idea if this would work or not. I know there are several Republicans giving up and leaving the house. Now, if the Dems can get those seats...........
Here’s the list of those in congress not seeking reelection. 42 total house members, 23 democrats, 19 republicans. 8 U.S. senators not seeking reelection, 5 democrats, 2 republicans, 1 independents (Sinema).

https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_U.S._Congress_incumbents_who_are_not_running_for_re-election_in_2024

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard