WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 05/07/24 12:24 AM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 05/05/24 05:57 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by Doug Thompson - 05/02/24 08:17 AM
Watching the Supreme Court
by rporter314 - 04/27/24 09:37 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,836 my own book page
5,012,581 We shall overcome
4,192,638 Campaign 2016
3,791,921 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,222 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 5
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,085
Posts313,728
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
agnostic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#348411 04/26/24 05:11 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I wonder if anybody has ever charged the Supreme Court for not doing its job? I have been watching all this stuff and virtually everybody expert in the Supremes has either said, or suggested, that they are not doing their job! This being the case I just wonder if one could charge them for not doing their job. Seems fair to me. I know, its unlikely but, what if somebody actually does such a thing - then what happens?

It seems only fair that the Supremes can be charged just like virtually every everybody, everything thing, in the United States can, apparently be charged so why not the Supreme Court.

Perhaps the question should be something like. can the Congress of the United States charge the Supreme Court of the United States?

Fair question, I think..........

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Coequal branches of government. The separation of powers between the branches of government. The president nor congress can tell the SCOTUS what to do. What congress can do is basically limited to impeachment of any of the SCOTUS justices. Which only one has been impeached, he was acquitted in the senate. Samuel Chase in 1805.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Interesting. What we seem to have is a majority of Trump admirer's determined to make sure that he stays out of trouble. One of them is, obviously, bought and payed for by the monied, married to a wife who also publicly kinda likes Trump as well. All that being said they stay publicly working for Trump as a result (which, in theory, is not supposed to happen) Now we can add in the Congressional house who are also under the kindness of Trump as well as an entire congress incapable of doing a damned thing.

It is, however, pretty interesting. We also know where our military are standing in all of this. Wonder what would happen if they decided that an action on their part to try and fix the mess that they have actually already spoken of. The theory being that they MUST do what is right!

On the other hand, if the Supremes have said that a president can do whatever he wants there is always Biden who could just declare he is president for life and all Supremes, he might not care for, to be shot at Sundown and start with a new group that he might like better.

Our TV is reporting all with vigor and America, apparently cannot do a thing to stop it. Yep, I guess the plan is to get Biden to start ending them that don't make him happy.

Gotta say good luck the everybody. It seems as EVERYBODY is blued, screwed, and tattooed!

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Slouching toward Moscow...
Yeah sure, co-equal...

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
Oh, one last whine. We also have a President, one that will probably in time go down as one of the good ones, who is, currently, as far as I can tell, working as hard as he can to make sure that Trump beats the crap out of him in the next election. One can only wonder.

It all is, it seems to me, a Demcratic Party thing. I remember when my wife was working for them when Hillary was running. She noticed that there were no signs up around town and asked if she could have a couple to put in the front yard. They said, "sure, 25.00 each - buy all you want". She walked out, never looked back, continues to vote Democratic but is not what one can call a happy Democrat, with reason. Oh, she went through the University working for the Democratic party to pay for her education.

I am, I guess, not a real happy Democratic camper and I know she isn't. If Trump wins we are trying to decide whether we move to Mexico or Canada. We live in Washington state. My wife says I am wrong but, so far, I have seen no tv ads, only requests for money in my mail, etc. no signs, no nuthin. One can only to continue to wonder.

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Jgw, I’ve been wondering for a long time also, beginning with the selection of Biden to face off against Trump. Charging for yard signs and bumper stickers is the fad these days. I remember when they used to be free. My in box has been full of Biden asking for money also. The difference, you’re not a happy democrat, I’m not a happy swing voter.

I haven’t seen any political ads either. Another difference, I live in Georgia, a swing state/tossup/battleground state whatever one wants to call it which narrowly went to Biden in 2020. By the famous 11,779 votes. Hence Trump demanding our secretary of state to find 11,780 votes. But which Trump leads in the polls here in Georgia today.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/georgia/trump-vs-biden

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I am not a dedicated Democrat. I pick the one I think is best. This Trump thing is, obvious to me a REALLY bad decision. I have a dentist that is a Trumpite. He started talking to me about Trump one day and I fear I kinda went off. I pointed out that a Washington, dc paper was keeping track of Trump lies and they kinda stopped at over 3000 lies. I wasn't trying to prove anything. This was a simple statement of fact easily proven (the paper actually offered a list of the lies and when they happened). There are lots of things wrong with Trump but that one seals the deal for me. I really don't trust anybody that lies and, when they do it 3000 times publicly I walk. I think that if Biden wins he will die in the job. He is simply too old, even if he is fine now he won't be in time. That I why I think that if he actually wins it means we will have the first female president which I am not against.

I am 89 so I have kindofa reason to think that the job will kill him. There is a reason when every president we have had in my time ended up with white hair when they were done. Its a REALLY tough job! The responsibilities alone are enough to do the job. I think that he has been, so far, a really good president but, now, I can't help wondering.

I also think one of our serious problems is our voters. I can't even vaguely understand why somebody would vote for a public liar. Just don't get it! I am becoming more and more convinced that we are raising generations of voters that are actually thinking less and less. I have heard this also from others. We have a congressional house, for instance, that has passed less legislation that any other congressional house yet folks keep on voting damned fools into office. I probably won't see what happens (hopefully) when it either stops or keeps on getting dumber and dumber.

Interesting times.............. (I continue to wish everybody good luck, we are all going to need it!)

enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
Jgw, you’re not the only one who thinks Biden will die in office. That is one of the biggest fears out there among the masses. Even those who are ardent anti-Trump fear for Biden’s survivability. His age and the worry about his mental fitness to last another 4 years are one of two reasons he’s in a basic tie with Trump. 55% of all Americans have doubts about Biden’s mental fitness to do the job for another term, 66% think Biden is showing he’s too old to do the job.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/HHP_Apr2024_KeyResults.pdf

Even so, those who think that aren’t rushing to Trump. Some have, a lot more haven’t. You have approximately 30% of all Americans still looking for someone other than Biden and Trump. Some are voicing their preference to voting third party, others saying they won’t vote, some still undecided.

Harris, there are a lot of folks out there who think a vote for Biden is in reality a vote for Harris to become president because Biden won’t be able to survive another full term. To this question - A vote for Joe Biden is really a vote for Kamala Harris because he will likely not serve a full second term. 41% of all Americans strongly agreed with that statement, another 32% somewhat agreed. Whatever somewhat agreeing means.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/HHP_Jan24_KeyResults.pdf

I’m not worried about that, but a majority of Americans are. The age issues are just one of two major problems for Biden, the other is his very low overall job approval along with being in the pits on his approval on most of the issues. Both huge liabilities. But I have faith that the biggest liability is with Trump and all his legal problems. That once crush time comes, when the reality of the situation hits people in the face that the choice is between Biden and Trump, Biden will prevail. That reality I don’t think has set in yet. At least I hope not.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/approval-rating

https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/approval/joe-biden/issues

J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I am not sure that there shouldn't be some kind of test for people who come to vote. Little things like "can they read and understand the ballot" or even "can they read". I do not understand, for instance, how people can vote for Trump who is a known liar. I have heard some claim that is not true. I wonder how many voters ask somebody what they do to vote for Trump without any idea of how to vote. If you listen to ANY of what he says there will be a lie in there some place. The man just cannot tell the truth all the time. I suspect you are waaay ahead of what we have to deal with when it comes to voters. I think you are assuming that voters are smart enough to know what they are doing - that's a lot more faith than I have.

I get stuff from Trump all the time. I have no idea why. A couple of days ago he wrote to say that he would pay for my plane ticket and a place to stay if I wanted to go down there to visit with him. It was VERY strange. I think he wanted money.

I just don't understand the political party thing. The Democrats kinda have a view I can grasp but the Republicans - not so much. The Republicans are like a group of folks who have joined up in some kinda of social club that has no real reason for existence except for the social thing and the fact that they can claim to be a member. I am not convinced that most have even a clue when it comes to "member of what".

I was not aware that so many had even thought that Biden couldn't survive another time and the Harris thing. I kinda like her because she was competent in her past job and seems to be handling her current one with dexterity. I imagine the female thing might make a difference but that doesn't bother me at all and might be a good thing.

Everything considered I sincerely hope that Biden wins the election. If he doesn't the United States will turn into some kind of zoo. He, and those who will work for him, are REALLY figuring out what they are going to do and its scary. Its also a mess with a virtual wish list of insanity. The only good thing is that every little plan has another plan which they can fight over. Its as if the current congressional house will become the national administration. I can see nothing but disaster, starting with Russia 'helping' run America and goes down from there. I know, and am hopefully wrong............

1 member likes this: perotista
enthusiast
Online Content
enthusiast
I grew up when Eisenhower was president, cast my first vote in 1968 when one had to be 21 years old. Maybe we ought to go back to that age? One of the main reasons for the 26th amendment was Vietnam. The thought was if you were old enough to go fight and die for your country, then you should be old enough to vote. Many states which had a drinking age of 21 also lowered it to 18 back then.

I remember when the democratic party was known as the big tent party, the party of the working man vs. the Republican party, known as the country club party, the party of business. Of course, back then, both major parties had their liberal and conservative wings. The Democratic party, their solid conservative south, the GOP, their old Rockefeller liberal republicans of the northeast. Then both major parties discarded their unwanted wings to start moving to where we’re at today. There was also the change from the old party selection process to today’s modern primary system in 1976. Trump would have been laughed out of the room pre-1976 or under the old party selection process. I say selection process as there were only 12-15 primaries back in the pre-1976 modern primary system and some of those were non-binding. Trump wouldn’t have never happened.

Like you, I don’t understand the fascination with Trump. Liar isn’t what I consider the worst with him, all his legal problems, his childish antics acting like a spoiled 4-year-old brat with his name calling along with his 3rd grade schoolyard bullying tactics. His thirst for revenge along with an ego that doesn’t quit with much more. But unlike most here on this site, I do understand the reluctance to support Biden which I’ve touched on in the past. You don’t know how much I wish the democrats went with someone else. He was the ideal, safe candidate to defeat Trump in 2020, not so in 2024 for many reasons. But Biden is still the only adult in the room this year as he was in 2020. As for political parties, they never interested me be that back growing up in the 1950’s, in 1968 when I cast my first vote or today. I’d like the major parties to return to where the republican party was the party of Eisenhower, the democratic party, that of John F. Kennedy. But way too much has changed. I don’t think for the better.

1 member likes this: jgw
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard