WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 75 of 149 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 148 149
R
stranger
stranger
R
BamaMama,

120 ++ books in the "waiting to be read bookcase" isn't enough? You just had to recommend David Rosenfelt? I miss having a Golden in my life and when my current pack of 6 is down to some smaller number I will be adopting a senior golden. Since 4 out of my 6 are 11 or 12 years old and can't last forever I suppose that senior golden will be a part of life before too many years go by.

thanks,

rigel

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Once, years and years ago, I started reading Walker Percy's The Moviegoer. Why not? It won the National Book Award; it was highly spoken of as illustrative of Southern Literature—the two words capitalized and spoken in awe. At that time, not having instituted my 50-page rule, I doubt I made it to the second page. Earlier this week I had another "go" at it and happily report that I have now read the whole thing. 'Nuff said.

PS I take it back. One thing in The Moviegoer will stick with me. The narrator is talking about remembering scenes in movies and refers to "the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man." (page 7) Excuse me! That wasn't a kitten; it was a cat! (Yes. I really am that picky.)

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
veteran
veteran
Last year at Christmas I was given "The Book Thief," by Markus Zusak. This is marketed in the US as a Young Adult book, although I'd consider that a lower limit, rather than an upper limit, of audience age. (Apparently, in Australia (the author is Australian) the book was not given the "young adult" label.)

For some reason I didn't get to it until this week.

The story is set in Germany at the beginning of the war; a young refugee is sent to foster parents for safety, and on that journey she picks up a book - her first. The book is narrated by Death.

It's well written, and does a good job of explaining the kinds of decisions made, even by adolescents, at such a time. I can't research it because I'm only 2/3ds through it and I don't want to ruin the story for myself. I can't even tell you what has me glued to the pages except, of course, that I want to know how it comes out. As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the best reviews I can give.

Clearly not the cheeriest subject matter in the world but the characters are believable and well-drawn. I can picture each person, each street corner, each building as described in the novel, and that's no small trick for an author, either.

You can get more info from Amazon; Zusak has a site as well...just don't tell me how it ends, please.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Tomorrow I make my first venture out--armed with a nurse and a container of oxygen (guess I'm now my own No Smoking zone)--to Barnes and Noble. I'll buy The Book Thief. It sounds good.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
veteran
veteran
Martha, I hope you have an enjoyable outing. And I'd expect your first trip to be to a bookstore!

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good luck Martha. Give me a shout out if you want another body to help.....I'm free until 2:30ish.

---------
Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Outing a success. Spent under $200--for me that's a success. Only bought four books not on my list. "The Book Thief" was prominently displayed. Also not on the list was a new Thursday Next, "Love in the Time of Chlora(sp?," and a new book by a Sharon Creech who was a student at Hiram College (Ohio) at the same time I was there. It's a small enough school that we can support each other--although I lean toward resenting her. She won the Newberry one year.

Then, adding the ones on my list, my unread shelf should, once again, be filled.

Martha, the happy bookstore wanderer

veteran
veteran
Martha, I was up till nearly 2 last night with 'The Book Thief' - hope I can finish it tonight. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it once it hits the right part of the shelf.

I've read most of the Thursday Next books, but they always seem to be a pale imitation of a "Hitchhiker's Guide" kind of story.

I'm glad your wander was good...I was wondering how it went.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
I think I like the idea of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves novels more than I like the books themselves. I had tried one of them—no idea which—some years ago, and day before yesterday I finished The Code of the Woosters. It was terribly British, as one would expect, and I enjoy Wodehouse's style, which is heavy on dialogue. That in turn made me think he'd adapt well to the stage, and I remembered that the last time I was in New York a musical farce based on the Jeeves novels was playing. I had wanted to see it, but it might have closed even before my brief visit ended. Music was by Andrew Lloyd Weber and when Bertie Wooster says, "By Jove, Jeeves (page 177), all I could think of was what a wonderful chorus those three words would have made. I'll hoping someone will revive the idea. Come on. It's not that farfetched a desire. Sondheim's Assassins, the musical about people who have assassinated US presidents, was revived and its first opening was greeted with jeers and laughter. By Jove, a Jeeves musical could hardly have done worse.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ladies, I don't want to intrude on this thread too much or interupt what's going on but I have become desperately addicted to reading Charles de Lint. It's a huge body of work and he continues to churn them out at an alarming and expensive rate. He's certainly a sidestep away from mainstream fiction but seems to be creating his own genre. Just a heads up if you've not heard of him and might be seeking new and unusual authors.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 75 of 149 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard