WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 82 of 149 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 148 149
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Sometimes I buy a book just 'cause I can't resist the title. An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke falls in that category. But the category itself has a built-in problem: Will the book live up to its title? Sad to say, the answer so far has always been no, and Arsonist's Guide did not end the run. It wasn't a BAD book; I read it all the way through. After two hundred pages, though, I was ready for it to end. Shame I still had a hundred pages to go.

There were plusses. The premise is cool, and I did dig-ear some pages where a thought or writing impressed me. Let me take a look at them and see if I there's anything I want to talk about.

1) "After that, silence opened up between us (the narrator and his wife), big and yawning and much wider than the actual two miles between the gas station from which I was calling and our home to the west. … Think of when California finally breaks off from the rest of country, and the people of Nevada watching it happen from their new coastline. That's what I felt like." (page 47) I like the image—even though the descriptive sentence is pretty awkward. No, he doesn't have a "the" before "country." Its omission is not a typo.

2) At one point during the narrator's childhood his father leaves. He comes back and that night the narrator watches his mother and father dance. "I felt so sad for these confused parents of mine and had the distinct impression that love and marriage and dancing were like being at war with your better judgement. Watching my parents dance made loneliness look happy and relaxing by comparison, so I went upstairs to my room and went to bed." (page 216) Interesting thought, IMHO.

3) "… but the birches were thin and lonely, each of them far apart and like an only child among larger, happier broods. I knew from Mr. Frost that the birch was supposed to be the most New England of trees, and if that was so, then I couldn't help thinking New England was a very bad idea." (page 281) I'm convinced.

Bottom line: Read the title, smile and keep on walking. Do not reach for the book, do not pass GO, do not collect two hundred dollars.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I picked up CAPE PERDIDO by Marcia Muller on the discount table in Barnes & Noble. Muller has written over thirty mystery novels. I've read a few. Cape Perdido is an area in Northern California that is being "raped" by people in desert areas who need water; thus this book had a "message" as well as a well-crafted plot, some very surprising twists, and a satisfying endiing. It was a good way to spend an afternoon. It is not great fiction, but a good read. I'd give it a good solid passing grade by me.

Kathy Albers

Where ever you go, there you are!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Kathy's right, Sue Grafton's T Is for Trespass is "darker" than the rest of the alphabet—and I loved it. A villain you can hate. Grafton's usual collection of colorful friends and neighbors. What's not to like? Perhaps that IMHO she's way too descriptive. I still don't need or want to know every piece of furniture that's in a room.

Granted the villain in T being an opportunist who takes care and advantage of the sick and elderly hit a little close to home, but I still liked it. I even dog-eared three pages.

1) Kinsey is describing childhood as an only child. "I could also play with my teddy bear, whose mouth would lever open if you pressed a button under his chin. I'd feed the bear hard candy and then turn him over and undo the zipper in his back. I'd remove the candy from the little metal box that passed for a tummy and eat it myself. The bear never complained. This is still my notion of a perfect relationship." (page 186) I can't disagree.

2) "Between Melvin Downs's disappearance and the Guffeys' vandalism, I didn't see how things could get worse. Which just goes to show how little I know about life." (page 252) I love foreshadowing.

3) "I was happy to introduce her (Peggy, a stay-at-home mom) to the joy of telling fibs. She'd been worried she couldn't pull it off, but I told her anyone who lied to little kids about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny could surely manage this." (page 344) Cool sentence. Brings up all sorts of issues—IMHO.

Bottom line? Read it. It's fun.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
enthusiast
enthusiast
whoo hoo. Martha.....A book got moved from the bottom to the top of the shelf!!! rah! rah! You've got to learn to eat dessert along with the meal like my mama taught me to do. I still get the "look" from waitresses when I asked for the key lime pie to be served right along with the fried chicken.

Now, Martha did you see the sentence at the beginning of the book that makes one think the outcome might be a little darker than the ending even turned out to be?

After Mr. BamaMama read the book, I asked him the question and he replied that yes he remembered the sentence and right that moment he turned to the book on the bedside table and found and read it out loud.

That was indeed a trick in foreshadowing. Only after finishing the book and finding the sentence to re-read did we see the possible use of a metaphor that while reading encourages the reader to think it is the real thing.

I repeat -- Yea Martha! Love you moved "T" up the line.

I got four books from my son -- all great books. He buys me books I ought to read. I knew they would be good books but reading some good books is like eating vegetables. I know they are good for me and are satisfying after I've finished them, but I'd much rather go for the fried chicken and key lime pie.

Anyway I started THE ALCHEMIST and already on page 10 I know why it became an instant classic. GREAT BOOK. However, I put it down and then began DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM. That is a book that I can dig into. Stories that delve into the humor of family life are all different but strangly familiar and alike -- we all have those moments of total wackiness in our coming of age years within our core upbringing. In the South we bring these people and moments into the parlor to share and do not keep them in the closet hidden. I'll have to see where is David Sedaris' place of childhood.

Kathy

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by BamaMama
My husband is tonight staying with my daughter and the newborn. (S-O-B-S-I-L had to go back to work on a 12-hour shift from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM.) I STRONGLY ENCOURAGED BMama, (BM if you abbreviate) to do this. He never before felt the compulsion but I, let us say, encouraged him). Martha.....somewhere maybe you understand.....I feel joy and sadness.

K.

This is a bit of thread drift but fits here with those who read this thread offtopic

One of my favorite movies is "Broadcast News" Holly Hunter's character is crying because of an event that has happened. Her boss says to her, "It must feel great to be right all the time."

Holly's character replies, "No it feels terrible."

I have such intuition. That night that I spoke of caused some of my friends to wonder about my deep depression. Well last night I found out that was my S-O-B-S-I-L's last night on the job. Yes, sports fans, my daughter and her new baby have a husband who is without employment.

I have to smile a bit because I sensed Megan's upset. It might have been that SOBSIL told her he was coming home because he no longer had a job (don't know if he quit or was asked to quit). Because I made Mr. BamaMama spend the night with Megan, SOBSIL might have had to spend that night shuffling between the Waffle House and IHOP!

I should write a novel -- but one has to have an ending......

crazy

Kathy

veteran
veteran
I believe David Sedaris grew up in North Carolina. I'm a big fan of his - had the chance to hear him read last year, and laughed till I HURT!

You can find him reading a lot of his pieces at the "This American Life" radio show website - takes a bit of digging but he contributes there a lot.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
OK completely off topic, but I love David Sedaris, too. His pieces frequently appear in The New Yorker, and just the other day I heard a re-broadcast of NPR piece in which he was talking about going to Elf School. I was falling out of my chair. And, have you heard the Fresh Air interview with his sister, Amy?

Sorry...back to books.

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
EmmaG #45281 12/30/07 10:07 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
EmmaG IMHO not off topic at all. My son actually gave me two David Sedaris books. I am a little more appreciative of his selection of gifts now. Now please interrupt this thread to tell me what do I do with the TWO pedometers I received as gifts? Wear one on each leg while I walk on my treadmill reading all these wonderful book suggestions? laugh

Thanks for the input.

Kathy

veteran
veteran
I can also recommend Amy Sedaris' book on entertaining, called "I Like You!" It's pretty hard to explain...if you cross the 50s with, say, maybe the Cars - no - Patti Smith...no...

If you have time to do a little surfing, search for her on Youtube - there are a couple of Letterman interviews to give you an idea of what she's like.

The book ranges from party planning to easy crafts with pantyhose (!) to how good guests behave at a party, sprinkled with the occasional reference to one's dealer.

The book costs a fortune (for my budget) but was worth it; still, I'd check the library first.

Pedometers...got a dog?

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Pedometers...got a dog?

I actually carry my little dog in one of those honest-to-god baby front-packs!! I'll take a picture. Even my family can't believe it.

laugh

I'll check out Amy after I finish with David -- THANKS!!!

Page 82 of 149 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard