WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 85 of 149 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 148 149
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by humphreysmar
I didn't much like Phillip Roth's Exit Ghost. Granted there were interesting scenes: for example, his narrator goes to watch the 2004 presidential race results with some NYC yuppies. And there were interesting questions raised: for example, was Nathaniel Hawthorne really rumored to have had an incestuous relationship with his sister? That I'll be checking out.

Mostly though, Exit Ghost is long paragraphs that explain things. Actual scenes are few and far between. Particularly annoying are the dialogues between HE and SHE where the narrator tries to start a relationship with a young and married woman.

All in all, I think I like the idea of Roth as a writer better than I like reading his books.

Martha, I think I am as you are. I like the idea of reading a Roth book better than the actual reading. I had been pondering his latest tome.

I listened to "The Plot Against America" on tape. I don't know if I could have had the patience to read it. I found it interesting with an ending that cut off too abruptly for me.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I see Sara Paretsky has a new novel entitled "Bleeding Kansas."

I don't think I'll ever get off this mystery train......I just purchased another "ticket."

Kathy

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
[quote=BamaMama)

I listened to "The Plot Against America" on tape. I don't know if I could have had the patience to read it. I found it interesting with an ending that cut off too abruptly for me.

Kathy [/quote]
Plot held my attention WAY better than Exit.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
veteran
veteran
A few pages back I wrote about a Miyuki Miyabe novel. Two notes: First, I screwed up; Miyabe is a woman, not a man. Second, I just finished another of her novels, this one called "Shadow Family." Again, it is not at all like traditional western mysteries. I like this one because the story takes place on a single day, and most of it during a single interrogation. The primary "hook" of the book is a group of people who have formed an imaginary family on the internet.

It's not a page-turner like some American mysteries can be, but well worth a read.

I may try another of hers in future, but probably not right away - not because I don't like her style -- I do -- but it's the old "so many books, so little time..."

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure I can keep up or scan back far enough for the answer, but I read Kite Runner last month, and Three Cups of Tea this month - a Pakistani-Afghani smorgasbord. Runner is a novel, and Tea is a biography of sorts, but they both give excellent insights into the culture and mentality of the mountain peoples of those countries. Both are insightful and inspiring, in my view. I'm currently reading Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild but I am not sure I am going to finish it. It is not the prose, it is the depressing nature of the story so far (which is the true story of a young man who walked off into the wilderness in 1992).

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 01/31/08 12:50 AM.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#49156 01/31/08 01:01 AM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
So you don't have to scan Ponderer, if you enjoyed appreciated Kite Runner, read his latest, a Thousand Splendid Suns which is even better.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Both are good,but I'd debate Phil on which is better.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
enthusiast
enthusiast
I just finished the J.A. Jance trilogy about a Los Angeles TV reporter who upon turning 40 was fired from her job because of her age.

Ali Reynolds, at the same time, finds out that her husband of seven years also has been looking in younger pastures. Ali’s son by her deceased husband is finishing college at UCLA and so she heads for her home town of Sedona, Arizona.

To find her voice amid all of the changes in her life she begins a blog called www.cutlooseblog.com. (I just googled the site and it routes the seeker to J.A. Jance’s personal web site.

The three books thus far in this series are 1) Edge of Evil 2) Web of Evil and 3) Hand of Evil.

Hurrah for Jance moving the mystery genre into the world of instant gratification and instant feedback, the internet.

Of course as in any good mystery book/series, the vehicle, cutlooseblog, gets Ali in a whole lot of trouble which she manages to work through --from the death of her childhood friend, to the death of her estranged husband, to finally the death of the friend of the family, revealing the world of battered wives betrayal and pedophiles -- while fighting for “justice and the American way.”

Judy Jance has a few pages at the end of the book “Edge of Evil” in which she introduces herself. She writes that she always wanted to be a writer but was “edged” away from creative writing courses into early education and library science degrees (sound a lot like my bio. We both even graduated college in 1966.) I very much enjoyed getting to know Ms. Jance. In understanding the low points of her life, I can very much see why another of her series, the J. P. Beaumont character, to me, rings with such authenticity.

Our friend Martha has me dog-earing pages, something I never did before:

Page 147: “Of course you did,……And why not? You’re not the first other who spent years making the best of a bad bargain in hopes of maintaining some kind of financial security for her kids.”

Page 178: “Working in the Sugarloaf (café) today ahs also made me value anew the work done by countless people in the food service industry all over this country. They’re the men and women who every day, morning and evening, greet their customers cheerfully and courteously. In the….they also serve up something else. Along with bacon and eggs and has browns, they dish up human connections and spiritual sustenance.”

Page 181: Once you’re unfortunate enough to step into the world of ALS you’ll find it’s a very small one. It’s like you get on a road that only runs in one direction. When you start out, you meet others who are following the same path. You ask them for directions and suggestions, so you’ll know what to expect along the way. Some people travel the road faster than others, so someone who started out late may leapfrog ahead of someone who was diagnosed earlier.

(The above paragraph rings true for all, including me, who have faced serious illness.)

Page 239 one women who must go into hiding because of spousal abuse a cutlooseblog talks about a wife going into hiding. “Unfortunately, due to liability issues, the organization that helped me is reluctant to be involved in situations that involve minor children.”

(One can learn a lot from well researched even light mystery fiction.)

I enjoyed my hours spent with Ali Reynolds. Compared to “A Thousand Splendid Suns, it probably wouldn't receive a rating; but in the world of mystery writing, these books are a solid “A+”.

Regards,

Kathy Albers

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Kathy,
Welcome to the world of dog-earing. I've been putting off my review of THE FEDERALIST PAPERS because 100 pages are dog-eared.

enthusiast
enthusiast
DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM by David Sedaris was a good read. In some ways, this memoir reminded me of the fictional book, ONE MISSISSIPPI.

I turned down some significant pages but I'm actually feeling to sick with this flu to remember why I felt them important to share.

Some of you ranters had told me Sedaris was worth a read. I agree! I have another of his books to go.

Kathy Albers

Page 85 of 149 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard